All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Aj137
join:2012-11-28

Aj137

blocking of HTTP and HTTPS in dlink DSR 500n

In DSR 500n it block only HTTP site and not the HTTPS site ?????
this is strange does any one have any idea on this ???????

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

Could be any number of things. Perhaps port 80 is being blocked or filtered.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Aj137

MVM

to Aj137
Similar response as I made in your other facebook / DSR-500N thread....

Also, ALOT more information would be helpful in answering your question. Namely, URL in question, what
symptom(s) are being experienced, define "blocked," does it work without the DSR-500N in the way, or
on a seperate internet connection... it can be any number of things.

Regards
Aj137
join:2012-11-28

Aj137

@hellfire
DSR500n has been config in round robin mode with two ISP. previously i had edited the host file to block Facebook but now after putting the DSR500n it was blocked by using web filter method from past few days its not been blocked AS the Facebook HAS HTTPS in its address i goggled abt that its says u cant block HTTPS sites as its a secure already

So NEED MORE INFO ON THIS

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Aj137:

@hellfire
DSR500n has been config in round robin mode with two ISP. previously i had edited the host file to block Facebook but now after putting the DSR500n it was blocked by using web filter method from past few days its not been blocked AS the Facebook HAS HTTPS in its address i goggled abt that its says u cant block HTTPS sites as its a secure already

So NEED MORE INFO ON THIS

It is not unusual at all for most router based url site blocking to not work with https traffic. The https traffic is encrypted, and the url filtering is not able to see the unencrypted url. I have also seen router based url blocking get defeated when a site had both IPv4 and IPv6 IP addresses, because the router's url blocking only worked for IPv4.

Also, using pseudo DNS "blocking" with a hosts file is often not very effective because the hosts file would have to be constantly updated with every hostname that the site(s) you want to block might decide to use. The only way to do DNS based "blocking" is to setup a DNS server that takes over as the definitive nameserver for every domain you want to block, and setting up your router's security so that every PC will be forced to use only that DNS server for DNS lookups. And even doing that, you will need to keep up with the actual IP addresses used by the site(s) that you want to block, and also block those IP addresses in a firewall in order to keep users from accessing the site(s) by the IP address(es).