how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

brianjmc1971

join:2003-01-22
Old Bridge, NJ

[VOIPo.COM] faxing over VOIPO not working, but does on callcentr

Hi, I have a dell 1600n Multifunction printer that I used for outgoing physical faxes. It does not work with VOIPO. Now I hooked the it to my callcentric adapter and it works fine. Anyone use VOIPO settings with your own adapter instead of the one from VOIPO? Anyone externally faxing from VOIPO?
Thanks,
Brian

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
kudos:3

Re: [VOIPo.COM] faxing over VOIPO not working, but does on callc

UDP is not fax friendly, and VoIP is UDP.
Same reason cars use roads, they travel better.
FAX just needs to die out IMHO.

Many thread of old with backwards DSL filters and such to slow transmissions so UDP packet losses (Subject to the internet path) do not affect the digital signal as badly.
--

Jim, VoIP 12/2002, VOIPo 2/2007
FAH-Tool~Pets~Artist-247

Good Ol Dan

join:2000-05-15
Naples, FL
Reviews:
·Earthlink Cable ..
reply to brianjmc1971
FWIW, I do fax via VoIPo (using their Linksys adapter) with my Brother MFC-J425W "all in one" printer/scanner/fax. I have the printer set for "Basic (for VoIP)" mode, which according to the manual reduces the fax data rate to 9.6k (from 14.4k) and disables error correction (ECM). Using these settings, my outbound faxes work well and, although I generally use the eFax fax-to-email service to receive faxes, I have also received inbound faxes without any difficulty on the all-in-one..

My experience with this over the years (since the late '90s) has been that the key to successful faxing over VoIP (using several providers, including Vonage and Packet 8, in addition to VoIPo) is low jitter (stable, consistent latency) on the underlying IP connectivity. DSL and my current Verizon FiOS connection have been good in that regard, and fax has generally worked well at 4.8/9.6k (but not 14.4k) with error correction disabled. Jitter on most cable internet connections is generally not great, and faxing (or even voice) can be challenging.

Keep in mind that as a VoIPo customer you can send faxes on the web via their "vPanel" site under features/fax. There is some chatter about future inbound fax-to-email via VoIPo as well. Until that happens, you could pick up a free eFax or similar account for inbound faxes if all else fails.

Hope that all helps...

Dan

brianjmc1971

Old Bridge, NJ
reply to brianjmc1971
Thanks for the replies!
Understood, but it works fine with callcentric, with the same fax machine. So there must be a difference between the settings in the VOIPO adapter and the settings I used in my own adapter using callcentric.
I guess I will just try it using my own adapter with VOIPO settings and see if that works. Have plenty from the sunrocket days....

thanks again!
Brian

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
said by brianjmc1971:

Thanks for the replies!
Understood, but it works fine with callcentric, with the same fax machine. So there must be a difference between the settings in the VOIPO adapter and the settings I used in my own adapter using callcentric.

Is your own ATA set to allow T.38 pass-through?

Remember that CallCentric does support T.38 so maybe those faxes are going that way....

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to Good Ol Dan
said by Good Ol Dan:

FWIW, I do fax via VoIPo (using their Linksys adapter) with my Brother MFC-J425W "all in one" printer/scanner/fax. I have the printer set for "Basic (for VoIP)" mode, which according to the manual reduces the fax data rate to 9.6k (from 14.4k) and disables error correction (ECM).

On some older Brother fax machines IIRC those settings are called "Overseas" or "International".

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC
reply to brianjmc1971
Go and sign into your VOIPO account in your web browser. I think under "features" you will find "FAX". If it isn't under features just hunt around on the horizontal menu bar and you will find it.
By clicking on FAX it opens a page which allows you to attach files and VOIPO faxes them for you as part of their overall service.

If you want to receive Faxes then you do have to add a monthly service (costing 3 0r 4 dollars) and get your own specific Fax number. Received faxes will then be emailed to you as an attachment.

brianjmc1971

Old Bridge, NJ
reply to brianjmc1971
IanR - Mainly I use callcentric to receive faxes and send them to an email account. I need the ability to send hard copy faxes through my fax machine. Actually if it wasnt for my wife, I'd have no problem, I'd just scan everything, then fax electronically, but when she complains "that the fax machine doesn't work....... this VOIP crap doesn't work, I want verizon". To pay verizon any more money, would possibly kill me. So $65/month so she can send a fax every three months, blah, blah, blah..

I'm going to try to use sip settings on an external adapter I have to see if that works. I can always fall back on callcentric - it just works.

Question, on my inomedia I have two phone ports, can I setup up each port with different VOIP providers?

Thanks,
Brian