Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

AVG Good---AVG Security Tool Bar EVIL

Took me a while after last update to realize what was happening... but suddenly CPU was always at 100% and prorams were frequently non responding.

After some Task Manager investigation saw it was AVG hogging. Seemed odd as I have used it for a long time.

The going to uninstall... saw there were two enties AVG itself and the Secure Tool bar and just uninstalled that for starters.

Problem solved!!!! At least by default its evil, didn't bother to see if you could control its aggressiveness.

First Bad thing I have ever seen AVG do.

Have noticed the same thing happenning on my ASUS Transformer since recent updates of late and might have to uninstall it all together as on Android I don't think they are separate Apps as they are on WIN.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

There is nothing ''good'' about AVG.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Until this recent stuff, never had any issues with it and its done well and caught lots of stuff for free.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

1 edit

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

quote:
caught lots of stuff for free.
The only stuff it regularly flags are legit system files,which it classifies as generic trojans ,because it doesn't know what they are.

I've seen too many OS's hosed because of this poor AVP.

Do yourself a favor and use a better alternative like Avast or Avira.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 edit

norwegian

Premium Member

I have found that the toolbar of AVG caused issues for a computer I had to sort out - it would not go away, and the uninstall turned into a download of the uninstall utility. I'm glad vendors are producing these tools to help users.

As for Avira, unless it has changed of recent times, it became quite a pain in the royal behind, so much so I've converted back to Avast; but remember it too once was buggy for me. All vendors have good/bad days, it's hard keeping engine code up with malware.

But AVG a good product? I've never thought it was in the top ten, even though it has had some great advancements, and happy to listen to others views if that is wrong. But free is free after all - especially when these same companies offer paid products with greater protection.

Mileage varies for everyone, I gather due to the hooks they need to protect you. Drivers tend to be affected at some point with all of them, both their own and other 3rd parties.
Fickey
Terrorists target your backbone
join:2004-05-31

Fickey to Hayward0

to Hayward0
Based partly on various detection tests & the slightly dated comparisons in the link below, I'm planning on giving AVG another shot. Good detection, light on resources, quick scans, makes me think AVG may have gotten their act together after becoming bloated, much like Norton.
»antivirus.raymond.cc/

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
I always hear about how great AVG is on CNET.com. I think I tried it back in the mid to late 90's on Windows 98. I thought it was pretty cumbersome at best. Nothing great. Can't say I'd ever try it today what with so many other great alternatives out there... paid and free.
DrDemento
join:2005-07-25
Brick, NJ

DrDemento to Hayward0

to Hayward0
I have been using various Antivirus products for a long time-I am no youngster. And i am not the most computer literate expert out there. But I have found problems with all of them at one time or another. Currently using the newest AVG on 2 machines with others on the my other machines. I find it no worse or better but certainly pretty easy to use and it seems not to slow down my older machines as much. Everyone has their favorites and touts them as the best-that's fine-but constantly knocking one or another is sort of a childish thing. Sort of like saying i like Chevy so all Fords are terrible(Personally give me the new Audi A6 any time). I think it is far more helpful here for the more expert of the posters to simply point out the advantages of one AV over the other so those of us who are not as savvy can decide and try them. I browse this forum a lot-and learn a tremendous amount from the posters and thank them all. But just knocking something without explanation is really not very helpful.
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned) to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

I agree with you %100 on this. I love my Avast!. I can't even notes that it is running in the background