spc
uniqs
Gem
Premium Member
join:2005-09-10

Gem to robman50

Premium Member

to robman50

Re: [WIN8] Questions about the Win8 digital upgrade...

I believe the rule is we are allowed to use only one key per upgrade and only on one computer. Even changing the components of that one computer may cause windows to refuse to boot, requiring a call to MSFT, where we ask "mother, may I". If the mood strikes, MSFT may deign to allow us to change the components of our computer or perhaps even to move the OS to an entirely different computer, but that's up to them.

To summarize: One key on one computer and only that computer forever more unless MSFT says otherwise.

If that wasn't your question, and if you were asking how many times can we reinstall the upgrade on the same computer - I don't know.
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50

I swapped the HDD with an SSD and now I want to do a fresh install so the partition size matches the SSD. Not like 500GB -> 120GB and everything goes crazy.
Gem
Premium Member

Gem

Premium Member

Well...

Try it and see what happens. If W8 balks on you, call Microsoft and ask their permission, which they will very likely grant if their present policy is similar to what it was back in the XP days.

If MSFT's rep says "NO", simply ask to speak to a supervisor and keep escalating until you get someone who says "YES".

============================================

Don't know what software you are imaging and restoring with. I use the Seagate Acronis free version of what appears to be True Image. It has done a lot of successful imaging here from larger drives down to much smaller drives with no problem.

What seems to matter is the size of the used space on the drive more that the total drive size.

I also use at least two partitions on almost all drives. One (or now two) for the Operating System and a second much larger partition for data files.

Most of the time it is the OS partition(s) that are restored or moved from drive to drive by imaging. True Image has handled that very well, IMO.
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50

So an +1 for Seagate Disc Wizzard. I use that all the time when I need to restore the O/S.
Gem
Premium Member

Gem

Premium Member

That's it. I've used it for several years but had forgotten it's exact name. My version works with Seagate drives and with most other brands as well so long as at least one Seagate drive is present on the system.