PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Haswell iGPU will equal GT 650M performance

»techreport.com/news/2418 ··· -gt-650m

Good news for everyday users--dedicated GPUs are becoming less necessary.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Nice to see Intel is not slacking off, and trying to do more with their gpu. This will be good for casual gamers who won't run really run intensive stuff, and give some healthier competition for Nvidia, and AMD. Might have to tell my friend to hold off on building the new system just for the new onboard gpu as the price tag for the 7850 will look far less appealing in performance for the price. So will all those budget cards out there like the lower 6xx nvidia models which already barely beat the performance of the onboard intel gpu.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

1 edit

me1212 to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
This is really cool. Sure for me it wont be of any use, but my brother has a 650m so that may be good for him. Not a gaming gpu by any means but for multiple monitors and stuff that doesn't need a big gpu, or even light/casual/old gaming its perfect.

EDIT: aren't 650ms about the same as 560ms, and 550tis?

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to Krisnatharok

MVM

to Krisnatharok
This is impressive IMO,.....

Its an informal comparison but still impressive nonetheless.

The 650M being a mobile part likely implemented in an MXM form factor in laptops, All-In-Ones and the like defines the intended segment of the market along with AMD /ATI competing offerings.

The significance here is the PC market shifting to mobile and Intel being poised to eat nVidia /AMD/ ATI market share in such configurations.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

»techreport.com/news/2418 ··· -gt-650m

Good news for everyday users--dedicated GPUs are becoming less necessary.

Still no dedicated RAM

this could slow down the system overall
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

For how cheap the system memory is you can't really complain.
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned) to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_
iGPU performance will likely scale near linearly with ram speed, as is already the case with AMD's APUs. With the prices what they are get 8Gb of DDR3 2133, DDR3 is spec'd as high as 2800 these days.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

Ctrl Alt Del to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
While Intel is making great strides in their integrated graphics, this is still an Intel controlled demo.

The video below shows Dirt 3 running at 1080p on both systems, with identical detail settings (High Quality presets, no AA, vsync off).

Source: »www.anandtech.com/show/6 ··· -gt-650m

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
These CPUs fall flat on their face when running games with PhysX enabled.

I tried setting my 3570k to handle all the PhysX in Borderlands 2, and I got terrible performace and frame rates.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

If PhysX is enabled, I don't think PhysX games do very well without dedicated hardware. I was unaware the Intel iGPU was supported in this capacity.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by Octavean:

If PhysX is enabled, I don't think PhysX games do very well without dedicated hardware. I was unaware the Intel iGPU was supported in this capacity.

You might be right. It's probably the CPU portion that handles it.

Either way, games with PhysX absolutely need a dedicated GPU.

I couldn't imagine how bad it would have run if I was using the onboard HD4000 graphics.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

Yep, PhysX falls back to the CPU if no supported GPU is present. It's in nVidia's best interests to have it run best on their hardware, so I doubt things will get better in the future with CPU-driven PhysX.