how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kwinston
Excuses And Accusations

join:2000-08-19
Tinley Park, IL

What is the best way to get my domain back?

I let my domain expire by accident and it was claimed the other day by domcollect a company that appears to snatch up domains and resell them. If all of my email did not go through this domain I would not really care if I did not get back the domain back. 1and1 was the registrar of the domain when I had it and they are not really willing to do much since I no longer do any business with them. What are my options in getting this domain back? ANy other ideas?
--
if the law is on your side, argue the law, if the facts are on your side, argue the facts, if neither is on your side, talk loud and bang the table

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2

Once it has actually been purchased by someone else, I am not aware of any options other than buying it from them. I suppose you could look at filing a lawsuit, but your chances of winning are slim, and it would likely cost you more to even try that route.

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
reply to Kwinston

Per your signature all you can do is "talk loud and bang the table"

But really all you can do is buy it back from domcollect its legally theirs now.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
reply to Kwinston

If your domain is for a registered business entity (corporation, LLC; *NOT* a "doing business as") and you can substantiate that you have a valid trademark or servicemark for the name...or it happens to be your actual name, you might be able to force its return to you by claiming infringement. However, it must be within 30-60 days of the expiration, and you will need to provide official documentation proving you have sole rights to the name. Otherwise, you'll either have to buy it from them or just move on.

And, now you know to not postpone or disregard domain renewal notices. Make sure you have a date at least a month before on your physical calendar to complete the renewal...that way you needn't worry about notices not being received or sent to a junk folder. You can check your domain renewal at any time by going to any registrar site and using their WHOIS tool.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5
reply to Kwinston

I'm finding parts of this story a little hard to believe. Domains are not resold the minute they expire, there's a delete-pending time where the domain is not in DNS but it's still available for the owner to renew.

How does one use a domain for "all my email" and not notice that mail has totally stopped working?

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC

Yeah, it's rather difficult to comprehend how the OP could not have known there was a problem long before the registrar released the domain name. There's at least 30 days in that window to renew it.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

Kwinston
Excuses And Accusations

Tinley Park, IL

Camelot, Napster DC DSL: Thank you for your answers. Yeah, I was afraid of that. I don;t know if it's better to use a domain buy back service that charges a flat fee to TRY and get back your domain or email the new owner. I'm afraid to see what outrageous price they want.
--
if the law is on your side, argue the law, if the facts are on your side, argue the facts, if neither is on your side, talk loud and bang the table

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
Greenwood, IN

If you know that the company that bought it is a buyer/seller, I can't think of any reason to go through a 3rd party. Just contact them and see how much they want.

Kwinston
Excuses And Accusations

Tinley Park, IL
reply to Steve

What's hard to believe? I really didn't tell you too much because it was not relevant to my question. I did not say or even hint that the domain was bought right after it was expired. I'm well aware of the time that passes before it expires and it becomes available for someone else to get.

re: "all my email" - Once I stopped receiving email yesterday I started to look into and that's when I found it was owned by someone else.

Thanks anyway for your answer as it offered no attempt to help or answer to my question
--

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
Greenwood, IN

said by Kwinston:

re: "all my email" - Once I stopped receiving email yesterday I started to look into and that's when I found it was owned by someone else.

I think his point was that with the month or so delay between when your registration expires and when the name is available for purchase, your email should have stopped working a month before anyone else could take the name. When a name expires, the DNS entries are removed, but you still have a month or so to re-purchase the name before it goes up for public purchase.
--
Intel i7-2600k /ASRock P67 Extreme4 /4x 4Gb G.Skill /2x Intel 510 series 250Gb SSD /3x WD20EADS 2TB /2x PNY GTX 260 /Silverstone 850W /Custom water cooler /Antec Twelve-Hundred

Kwinston
Excuses And Accusations

Tinley Park, IL

I'm not so sure exactly how it works but it may differ from registrar to registrar. The domain expired back in September and I was receiving email until yesterday. It's probably different for each registrar.
--