/popcorn

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Snuffbox

said by Snuffbox:

Ghastly, weren't you on the STWOR bandwagon?

There was a bandwagon? I must have missed it.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:4
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

people play WoW and continue to play WoW because that is all they have played, and that is what they have been programmed to play

.... Asolutely incorrect. WoW lost a ton of subscribers with the timing of SWTOR's release inbetween expansions.... SWTOR failed to be a WoW killer just like GW, Skyrim, GW2 & Tera and gained virtually all of them back and has done well with MoP expansion.

Face it, WoW does some things right. They listen to their community, actively attempt to balance the game and provide content updates. Until other games get on their level they won't be replaced.

No one has done this yet.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

WoW gets many of those people back, not 100% because the other games aren't "good"

it's because they go into those games having already been programmed with WoW... and don't let their minds adjust

SWTOR is just garbage... no adjustment needed

good example is GW2 end-game...

once I got to GW2 end-game... I was like WTF is this? it isn't like WoW at all? it sucks... but then I adjusted and am now like... hey... I kind of like this!

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
reply to Snuffbox

WoW is not dead by any means, I don't think people is trying to say that.

The thing is that they recovered the blow from Cataclysm thanks to the annual pass, like I said we will see what is going to happen in the following months.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

I post here regularly?

Are we going to turn this into a childish debate about the definition of "regular" really?

You are here frequently, posting/commenting about WoW.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

it's because they go into those games having already been programmed with WoW... and don't let their minds adjust

TheThing, what it comes down to is retaining interest correct?

I can only speak for myself and my IRL friends, but MMO's aren't even our preferred game style most of the time. FPS style games like Halo, COD, Tribes are often our go to, but they don't retain interest long, things get stale, things are frequently not well balanced, social aspects aren't as strong.

WoW does retain interest and grasps the HUGE social importance.

Other games need to get on their level before they're in any jeopardy - GW2 isn't even close.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

And I will continue to use Facebook until something else better comes along as well.

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Snuffbox

yeah socially WoW is the juggernaught... and I still can't wrap my mind around why.... maybe Raids FORCING it? or RBGs forcing it? or Arena forcing it?

at this point having adjusted to GW2, the only thing I miss about WoW is the social aspect... that's why I'm on WoW forums...

you people need to come to GW2 forums!

maybe what it comes down to with MMOs, is that there can only be ONE... which is a sad thought

everquest mmo junkies shifted to WoW, settled there and basically never left... something will come to replace WoW, the community will jump there enmass and that will be the new ONE and everything else will bescrewed

TheThing

reply to tuladrin

WOW KILLER MUST = SOCIAL + ADDICTIVE

otherwise wow never dies

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA

So we must kill soceity? Is that the logic you are using ThING?!

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

everquest mmo junkies shifted to WoW, settled there and basically never left... something will come to replace WoW, the community will jump there enmass and that will be the new ONE and everything else will bescrewed

I completely agree with this.

Something will come and replace WoW - it just doesn't exist yet which is why I don't believe WoW is dying.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom

join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE
kudos:12
reply to tuladrin

Every time this thread or some variation of it is posted I tack on another week before I finally release the real pictures of myself, Cowboys outfit and all.

So stop circling jerking on the dead horse that was literally beaten so frequently and viscously that it now only resembles a gelatinous blob of what might be flesh and bone.

Dying is a shit term. Every minute you're quite literally dying. Don't use shit hyperbole, use "declining" or put it in terms of subscriber growth, loss, and retention. Is it declining? From where it was, yes. Still likely double the number of subscribers from TBC, or around five million. To hit 12 million or more is unlikely, and just as well. The game can still live a healthy life at half its current numbers and below.

Fuck off with the shit subject and for the love of all that is fucking good and just in the world pay attention in school, you're coming across as someone who drank bleach as a child.
--
Lore Nerd. Role Player. Raid Leader. Healing Priest. Slightly Annoying. Also Likes Kittens.

TheThing

CATFISH!

a woman without hope is a post-op tranny without fear

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
reply to Adalicia

I wish you would quit holding back in your posts and just tell us how you really feel.

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
reply to Adalicia

Need pics of cowboy outfit nao.

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
reply to Jobbie

said by Jobbie:

Last night was really sad having tanks and healers ready and calling the night because 2 dps missing. Like you said it is really hard to focus on more than two toons at a time.

If it is any indication, someone on Eredar last night was offering 1000g to anyone who would heal a Mog Vaults pug.

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to I AM

said by I AM:

Your wife, and Saviouss wife are the only verified hotties...

I would never post a pic of my wife on here... she would crucify me

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI
reply to Adalicia

said by Adalicia:

circling jerking

Reddit

said by Adalicia:

Dying is a shit term. Every minute you're quite literally dying.

That's they only argument they actually have.

said by Adalicia:

Fuck off with the shit subject

Admittedly this place is dead without some sort of controversy. Ignore Adalicia, keep posting your dumb #($& so I can make you look more foolish.

said by Adalicia:

pay attention in school

Do the Cowboys require any kind of education? I'm confused.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to Skittles

said by Skittles:

said by Vinceruos_t:

Wow as a whole is going as strong as ever and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

WoW is definitely not as strong as ever. WoW bled a lot of subscribers prior to MoP launch and though it resurged with annual pass and the xpac it still is not on the level of the numbers of BC/WotLK.

WoW will be around for 10-20 yrs more as long as there are a few folks playing and a server left up....look at Ultima, Asheron's Call, DAoC, Everquest.....MMOs dont die they just fade into cult followings.

I wonder what their break point would be.
UO supposedly still has 100k active accounts. There hasn't been a land expansion in years. Though they have released new content. But supposedly the 100k subscribers is enough to keep it afloat and bring in some profit.
Though how many out of that 100k are actual people, vs 1 person with multiple, is another thing to be determined.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.
Expand your moderator at work

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
reply to Carpie

Re: Is wow dieing?

said by Carpie:

If it is any indication, someone on Eredar last night was offering 1000g to anyone who would heal a Mog Vaults pug.

that's more of an indication of current raiding tier and the slow adjustment of the gaming community to the renewed emphasis of raiding to get raiding gear. Lots of casuals who are used to gearing up quickly outside of a raid to trivialize some of its mechanics are now spending months farming dailies or waiting for the next tier. Killing off alt progression, kills off alt raids and reduces the number of PUG raiders available.

WoW is fine. The age of the EverQuest and Warcraft I,II,III customer base might be drawing to a close, but they keep getting new players. The game could survive just fine with only half of its servers.

If you (generic term "you") are looking for a reason to quit WoW... stop looking for a mob to hide in, just make the decision for yourself. The ship isn't sinking... but if you are getting sea-sick... get off of the damn boat yourself.
--
Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
reply to TheThing

said by TheThing:

said by I AM:

Your wife, and Saviouss wife are the only verified hotties...

I would never post a pic of my wife on here... she would crucify me

My wife askes me sometimes what did she ever see in me? I tell her nothing, I just have G.A.M.E! She looks at me like a retard afterwards. I always tell people if I can get married or find a spouse anyone can.

But yeah...something rogue backstab/shadowstep, hunter feign death. Back on topic.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

Have you noticed (maybe you haven't from grinding of daily quests) that Blizzard hasn't touted or bragged about MoP sales like they did with Wrath and Cataclysm?

But it must be going stronger then ever since my guild gets applications every week!!

I also noticed as to how quickly the reduced the price.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI

said by Snakeoil:

I also noticed as to how quickly the reduced the price.

Nobody is going to buy 5+ expansions at $60 a piece + subscriptions to start playing a game and find out if they like it - all game developers do this.

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA

Not the MIGHTY BLIZZARD/ACTIVISION!

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Snuffbox

I haven't seen one drop the price as fast as MOP dropped.
It went from 60 bucks to 30 bucks in 2 months. Most normally wait 6 months before dropping price.

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to tuladrin

how could WoW get me back?

Go F2P or $5 a month

add skins, pets, and mounts for micro transactions... and I'll never leave again

Tera just went F2P after being sub based... it went from like 100k players to like 400k+ over night... (just estimating based on global chat explosion since i left)

WoW would get 5x larger if it went F2P...

but WoW will never go F2P until the WoW killer emerges (like the anti-christ) or some shit... then it will be pointless

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
Milwaukee, WI
reply to Snakeoil

said by Snakeoil:

I haven't seen one drop the price as fast as MOP dropped.

Are you comparing subscription based games to subscription based games?

WoW's main revenue is subscriptions, (and maybe vanity pets, haha) - you can't compare this to a game that needs to make ALL of their income off game sales because they don't charge a subscription. Hopefully this makes sense.

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA

Snuff...Don't lie. You secretly buy and pull out those vanity pets when you're all alone.