Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

Ideal format for videos?

While I wait to choose and buy a tablet, I want to get started in converting a bunch of movies & tv-shows in preparation for a long long trip.

I don't have an android device so I have no clue what plays well with the default media player.

MP4, mkv or avi?
Codec?

What Windows application would you recommend to easily convert said videos to your suggested format? I'd be converting the usual suspects (mp4,mkv,divx/avi). I'd like it to be able to resize the resolution as well and downgrade the bitrate so I can stuff as many hours of videos as possible in the memory card (Size of card is irrelevant). Keep in mind that I don't want to choose a codec that would choke anything under Tegra 3.

If there's already a thread with good answers, just link me to it, thanks!

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD

I'd recommend using Handbrake, output to MP4/h.264
works well with my Mac, AppleTV, and Android tablet.
--
Don't Lie - Be Kind - Realize your Potential

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

MP4 is pretty much the universal thing now... if DIY with least compression possible... unless a small device where space is scarce.
--

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
reply to alkizmo

I agree. MP4 is the most widely used format now, especially for mobile devices.

When you get your tablet, I would suggest you download and use MX Player. It's like the VLC for Android. That sucker plays EVERYTHING!!!! There hasn't been a format that I've thrown at it yet, that it hasn't been able to play!
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

MagicalPig

join:2008-07-25

I tried to have it play VHS but it just wouldn't fit

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to Alpha Phoenix

said by Alpha Phoenix:

I agree. MP4 is the most widely used format now, especially for mobile devices.

I would suggest you download and use MX Player. It's like the VLC for Android.

How's XBMC?
My wife is used to XBMC on our TV. This would keep things familiar with her as she'd have to help my son play videos during their flight.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

Don't know. Never used it, but it does look like XBMC does develop apps for Android: »play.google.com/store/apps/detai···tb3RlIl0.