share rss forum feed

freakout9903
Premium
join:2001-04-19
Gastonia, NC
Reviews:
·NetTalk

4k and 8k tv resolutions

4k/8k resolutions will hopefully force most cable/telcos to iptv, which in the end will feed the need for higher bw needs. Right now if you want to stream a full 1080p blueray movie not re-encoded down to some ***t format, you are looking at about 25-40gigs of data. This does not even exist yet, along any of the current 'streaming services' because people would be hitting caps in a movie or two. Don't tell me netflix or hulu streams in full 1080p and that it doesn't use this much bw, you will loose this argument.

Maybe google will be the first to provide a 4k stream or at least a true full 1080p stream. This would kick the competition in the a** some I think.
--
Join The Fight against Media Censorship www.blackthisout.com

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

said by freakout9903:

Don't tell me netflix or hulu streams in full 1080p and that it doesn't use this much bw, you will loose this argument.

1080p at 24fps (movies) requires less bandwidth than 1080i at 60fps (broadcast TV).

Bluray video is encoded at a significantly higher bitrate than any streaming service. The "1080p" you get from VOD, netflix, hulu is nowhere near "bluray quality" despite the advertising.

1080p can be encoded into about 8GB per 2 hour film, and most would still find it acceptable.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

JTR

join:2012-05-19
Carbondale, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to freakout9903

Codecs are improving constantly, and as resolutions go up, content size does not scale in a linear fashion.

For example, streaming some pretty damn good looking full-size compressed 4K video from youtube (before they yanked the ability to upload 4K) had an average bitrate of slightly under 35Mbps.

4k is also a long way off from becoming viable for consumers to use.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

I recently found some 8K video footage on YouTube as well. I don't know how they managed to do that but at that resolution the Flash player was all but unhappy about it, consuming an entire i7 CPU and racing the graphics card in the process. It played smoothly though. But it did look pretty darn nice, even when downscaled which is preferable to upscaling.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

There's actually a limitation to the flash player too, it can't display 4K video at 4K. I don't remember what the actual limit was, 2.5K or something, if memory serves. You can download the file from youtube directly, however, at that original resolution, with something like keepvid. You'll probably have better luck playing it back with something like media player classic home cinema than you would with the youtube player anyhow
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

That's what I happened to have noticed. The file itself was loading in correctly but Flash was stuck at a 2500x16?? resolution trying to display the content. Downloading it and running it in a player like VLC or MPC gave the 4K res.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to Smith6612

I want a link to this 8k vid on youtube..

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

I'll have to find it. The last time I saw it I happened to be casually browsing Reddit and it consisted of a Timescape of several scenes such as city sights.