All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
themisa
join:2012-05-22

themisa

Proper phone filter for VDSL2?

Does Teksavvy recommend a specific filter for VDSL?
Is it different from a regular DSL filter?

I have a dryloop and a single phone which is used for the condo door coomm system.

I use a 2Wire DSL in-line DSL filter, but with it connected the sync speed drops about 5% and VDSL drops if i connect/disconnect the phone/filter.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

When VDSL was installed a POTS splitter should of been installed for you. This would have automatically filtered your line.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by JenSuisUn:

When VDSL was installed a POTS splitter should of been installed for you. This would have automatically filtered your line.

Martin, would adding a second inline filter like that, to a line that is already filtered by a POTS splitter, cause the problems reported?

Mike

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

I don't see how a filter on a filtered line would cause a problem. Other then if the modem is in that said 2nd filter.
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

taraf to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

said by JenSuisUn:

Martin, would adding a second inline filter like that, to a line that is already filtered by a POTS splitter, cause the problems reported?

Mike

A DSL filter (POTS spliter, inline, or NID, doesn't really matter which type) is a low-pass filter with a 4kHz cutoff. Voice service uses 0-4k, DSL uses higher frequencies, usually 30k and up. In a perfect world, and with a perfectly functioning filter, the strength of frequencies that pass through the filter will attenuate very quickly such that once you're in the range that gets used by DSL nothing's getting through. In reality, perfect filters don't exist but they're usually good enough.

You can have any number of filters in line, and it shouldn't affect your service at all, though ideally it's completely unnecessary. Unless, as Martin says, you've got the filter on the modem... then unless you have a defective filter you won't have any service at all. Increasing the number of filters being used also increases the chance of having a defective filter which introduces a short on your line, which may or may not affect the DSL.
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman to themisa

to themisa
don't use any filter for VDSL2 (installed by bell at Demarc)

don't use any filter for dryloop (no phones are present to be filtered)