spc
Search similar:

uniqs

saneblane
@199.192.224.x

saneblane

Anon

Is this some kind of joke?

Verizon could care less about piracy, but they would use any excuse not to upgrade their network. And how in the hell are they going to find these so called pirates?. Next thing you know, when you go over a certain usage that they deemed is acceptable, you are going to be branded a "pirate".Every time I think this country can't sink any lower, it does.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

1 recommendation

ITALIAN926

Verizon (or any other MSO) doesnt care about piracy when it erodes their TV revenues? Wake up.
Angrychair
join:2000-09-20
Jacksonville, FL

1 recommendation

Angrychair to saneblane

to saneblane
said by saneblane :

Verizon could care less about piracy

Really? Just curious, but how much less?

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

LOL, I always correct my wife on that, it should be stated as " COULDNT care less" , but peoples lips are lazy.

saneblane
@199.192.224.x

saneblane to ITALIAN926

Anon

to ITALIAN926
What revenue is piracy harming for Verizon?

ITALIAN926

1 recommendation

ITALIAN926

TV !

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76

It may be slightly problematic, but not as much as you think.
With the crazy pricing structures and promotional plans, tv doesn't cost much more when compared to only subscribing to internet service. It's only $30 more for me to get the full triple play with a whole home dvr and a hd box.

I have their phone service mostly because if you downgrade to the double play and forget phone, it actually costs $10 more because I lose all of my dvr and box savings. their plans are designed to make you get the triple play and if you get internet only your suffering with a much less convenient tv watching experience compared to piracy and their still getting most of the money as internet by itself is extremely expensive as a stand alone product.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Promotions are temporary. What % of cable TV customers do you believe are in promotions? They make their money when promotions are up.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76

None of the smart ones lol (just joking), I switch back and forth, or threaten to and get another promotion every time my promotion is up If you don't have alternatives to threaten to leave for it's a different story.

But you have a point most tv subscribers probably are not on a promotion.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to Angrychair

MVM

to Angrychair
They care about it because it would look bad if they came out and said "We don't care about piracy at all". However they only care a minimal amount because they aren't content producers and ultimately piracy doesn't translate to a lost sale as it does with a movie or record company. Piracy justifies there higher speed packages that they make higher margins off of.

So in a specific sense, Verizon could care less, however in a general and practical sense, Verizon couldn't care less as what they do care is only a fraction above not caring.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Wrong, not only does piracy cause lost TV revenue for Verizon, but those that STEAL obscene amounts of daily data puts them at risk for oversubscription of their CO PON cards, causing slowdowns for everyone.

BPON ~622 Mbps shared by 32 pirates. If all had a 50Mbps plan, well, you do the math.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
So what you are implying is that people that pirate do so to avoid not paying to watch something. Can you provide proof that those same people would pay to watch the same stuff if it were 100% impossible to get through other means thus making it erode their TV revenues?

In other words, pirates != people that would pay if they had no other options. As a matter of fact, I believe there have been a few things posted that show "pirates" actually spend more money on the things they are accused of pirating than the non-pirates.

The Limit
Premium Member
join:2007-09-25
Denver, CO

The Limit to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
Yea, about those "lost" profits. Please provide some evidence of that, otherwise it's all bologna.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926 to Skippy25

to Skippy25
Look man, I have an Uncle who pirates everything under the sun and cut his TV subscription. Thats one less video customer for Cablevision, and its all the proof I need to back my theory that piracy causes less revenue for the MSO's

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to ITALIAN926

MVM

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

If all had a 50Mbps plan, well, you do the math.

You can't constantly saturate a 50mbit plan with pirated content. Well, you can, but eventually you are going to run out of disk space, run out of content that's worth watching, just get tired of it, or all the above.

Figure 6 new hollywood releases a week of decent quality averaging 10GB per movie. 6 hours a day of broadcast television averaging around 1GB per hour. That's another 42GB per week for about 100GB total. At 50mbits per second, that's 4½ hours. What are you going to fill the rest of your 163½ hours of the week downloading?

Putting a different way, if you queued up 1000 full length movies averaging 10GB each, and TV 24 hours a day at 1GB/hour, you would have 18TB a year's worth of content in about 5 weeks.

I'm not saying no one can fully utilize a 50mbit connection. But ISPs know what their utilization rates are, and most of those connections, even the ultrafast ones are going idle most of the time. That's why/how Google can sell a gigabit connections for what other cable companies sell their lowest speed connections...because people will occasionally use a lot of it, but most of the time it's nearly idle.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

In that BPON circumstance, pirates would only have to be using 20Mbps simultaneously for saturation. What to do when pirates are streaming content to multiple TV's in the house? What to do when theyre DL'ing/streaming blu-ray quality bit-rates? Cmon.

Pirates are bad for not only the entertainment industry, but the MSO's as well. "Pirates spend more money on media.. bla bla bla" Yea right. They have so much money they feel the need to STEAL , yea, i said it.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
And my aunts friend has a sister who knows someone that lives down the street that pirates everything under the sun and never had and never will have a TV subscription.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

It doesnt matter one bit. My conclusive evidence that ONE CUSTOMER "cut the cord" directly because of pirating proves my statement that piracy erodes profits for the MSO's.

FURTHERMORE, Piracy leads to increased carriage fees in which the MSO's have to pay the stations ! Which leads to even more lost customers, and lost revenue.

now keep on skippin'

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by ITALIAN926:

It doesnt matter one bit. My conclusive evidence that ONE CUSTOMER "cut the cord" directly because of pirating proves my statement that piracy erodes profits for the MSO's.

But if the pirate pays for a $200 broadband package instead of a $50 broadband package and a $100 TV package, is the MSO losing money or profiting on the pirate?

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

He's not
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87 to The Limit

to The Limit
said by The Limit:

Yea, about those "lost" profits. Please provide some evidence of that, otherwise it's all bologna.

Hope you like anecdotes because I smell one coming
serge87

serge87 to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

In that BPON circumstance, pirates would only have to be using 20Mbps simultaneously for saturation. What to do when pirates are streaming content to multiple TV's in the house? What to do when theyre DL'ing/streaming blu-ray quality bit-rates? Cmon.

Pirates are bad for not only the entertainment industry, but the MSO's as well. "Pirates spend more money on media.. bla bla bla" Yea right. They have so much money they feel the need to STEAL , yea, i said it.

Not sure if you follow FIOS closely but BPON is yesterday's news. There are no new BPON installations since 2009-2010 and current BPON networks are continuously being upgraded if capacity on BPON is reaching its limit.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Terrible example is terrible.

does streaming legal services at the same rate somehow make the saturation go away? Of course it doesnt.

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

Xioden to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Wrong, not only does piracy cause lost TV revenue for Verizon, but those that STEAL obscene amounts of daily data puts them at risk for oversubscription of their CO PON cards, causing slowdowns for everyone.

BPON ~622 Mbps shared by 32 pirates. If all had a 50Mbps plan, well, you do the math.

Sounds to me like they need to upgrade their infrastructure then if it often isn't able to actually provide full service to all subscribers in that area.

The Limit
Premium Member
join:2007-09-25
Denver, CO

The Limit to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
Oh I see. No hard evidence just OMG THIS GUY I KNOW DOES THIS argument.

Burden of proof is on you. Try again.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 recommendation

88615298 (banned) to Skippy25

to Skippy25
said by Skippy25:

So what you are implying is that people that pirate do so to avoid not paying to watch something. Can you provide proof that those same people would pay to watch the same stuff if it were 100% impossible to get through other means thus making it erode their TV revenues?

So because one refuses to pay for something they are entitled to it anyways? It doesn't matter if no one is losing a dime. If you are supposed to pay for something and you don't want to then you are not entitled to it. If I don't want to pay $8 to see a movie that does not give me a right to sneak into the theater.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926 to serge87

to serge87
Nah, I dont follow tech news at all. I used an example of BPON to use actual numbers , the concept applies to ANY architecture, whether its GPON, XPON, DSL or cable.
ITALIAN926

1 edit

ITALIAN926 to The Limit

to The Limit
quote:
Oh I see. No hard evidence just OMG THIS GUY I KNOW DOES THIS argument.

Burden of proof is on you. Try again.
WTF are you talking about? Pirating has caused the cable industry to lose about $50 a month (for basic) due to my UNCLE, and his lack of morals. What kind of evidence would you like, for me to turn him in and get a police report? ONE MAN out of MILLIONS COPYRIGHT INFRINGERS having an impact on the MSO's and entertainment industry. Have you even an ounce of common sense? Even if he was the ONLY ONE DOING IT, ITS STILL EVIDENCE OF LOST REVENUE.
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87 to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Nah, I dont follow tech news at all. I used an example of BPON to use actual numbers , the concept applies to ANY architecture, whether its GPON, XPON, DSL or cable.

Sorry, but XGPON would NOT be saturated as all 32 users wouldn't be able to max out even if they all subscribed to the 300mb plan and cranked it 100% simultaneously.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Really? And all of a sudden file size has limit. Interesting. XPON wouldnt be limited to 300 Mbps anyway.

Dont you think that stolen files get larger as pipes grow?