spc
Search similar:

uniqs
digital808
join:2007-07-28
united state

digital808

Oceanic Cable and SBG 6580 Wireless Settings

Is oceanic cable purposely blocking out the wireless feature on the Motorola SBG 6580? Currently running Ultimate Internet but I always wanted to know if they are charging extra to turn it on or are they just blocking g out the feature. I'm currently running the modem in bridge mode but I always wanted to know if any Hawaii peeps are using the 6580 as a wireless router also.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

Is it your modem?

Hob

Jabbu
Premium Member
join:2002-03-06

Jabbu to digital808

Premium Member

to digital808
pin reset modem, if it starts broadcasting, you have your answer.
digital808
united state

digital808

Spoke to Oceanic today. Being that I'm a ultimate Internet customer, wireless feature was unlock for no additional cost per month. Standard customers is charged $4.95 per month for Oceanic to unlock wireless. A simple hard reset will not work. Oceanic needs to activate this feature on your account.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to digital808

Premium Member

to digital808
Oceanic brought that one to my house when I upgraded to 20/2. I thought it was a terrible modem. I hated that it acted as a gateway with a stupid password that had to be entered to access its stats. It had all this parental control stuff on it...there are no children here. The wireless was not activated but Oceanic said that was because I already have TWO routers. It was very poor performing and was tripping offline often like my previous Surfboard 5100. I exchanged it for a 6141 with no gateway crap and no passwords, parental control, etc.

I have seen nothing but bad reviews all over the net about that modem.
digital808
united state

1 edit

digital808

I've never had an issue with the 6580. I dont use the wireless myself, but i was just curious why it was locked. I just bridge the modem and run off my Airport Extreme. I didnt know oceanic offered the 6141. Maybe i might inquire about that modem since i dont the wireless feature!

Turbo, Extreme users also qualify for no additional fee. Just need to call and ask to add the wireless feature on the account
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

No, Turbo does not qualify. I was told that I had to pay $4 a month more if I wanted wireless on it turned on and they brought this to my home when I upgraded to 20/2.

The ONLY modems given out currently by Oceanic here on the Big Island are the 6580 and 6141 if you subscribe to 20/2 and above tiers. Standard tier and value tier still get DOCSIS 2 modems I think. If you have Oceanic phone also then you need two modems if you have 20/2 and above. This could have changed recently though as Oceanic was testing an all in one (phone and internet) DOCSIS 3 modem. Tests showed problems and I don't know if that has been worked out yet or not.