join:2000-09-20
Jacksonville, FL

1 recommendation

Angrychair to saneblane

to saneblane

Re: Is this some kind of joke?

said by saneblane :

Verizon could care less about piracy

Really? Just curious, but how much less?

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

LOL, I always correct my wife on that, it should be stated as " COULDNT care less" , but peoples lips are lazy.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to Angrychair

MVM

to Angrychair
They care about it because it would look bad if they came out and said "We don't care about piracy at all". However they only care a minimal amount because they aren't content producers and ultimately piracy doesn't translate to a lost sale as it does with a movie or record company. Piracy justifies there higher speed packages that they make higher margins off of.

So in a specific sense, Verizon could care less, however in a general and practical sense, Verizon couldn't care less as what they do care is only a fraction above not caring.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Wrong, not only does piracy cause lost TV revenue for Verizon, but those that STEAL obscene amounts of daily data puts them at risk for oversubscription of their CO PON cards, causing slowdowns for everyone.

BPON ~622 Mbps shared by 32 pirates. If all had a 50Mbps plan, well, you do the math.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by ITALIAN926:

If all had a 50Mbps plan, well, you do the math.

You can't constantly saturate a 50mbit plan with pirated content. Well, you can, but eventually you are going to run out of disk space, run out of content that's worth watching, just get tired of it, or all the above.

Figure 6 new hollywood releases a week of decent quality averaging 10GB per movie. 6 hours a day of broadcast television averaging around 1GB per hour. That's another 42GB per week for about 100GB total. At 50mbits per second, that's 4½ hours. What are you going to fill the rest of your 163½ hours of the week downloading?

Putting a different way, if you queued up 1000 full length movies averaging 10GB each, and TV 24 hours a day at 1GB/hour, you would have 18TB a year's worth of content in about 5 weeks.

I'm not saying no one can fully utilize a 50mbit connection. But ISPs know what their utilization rates are, and most of those connections, even the ultrafast ones are going idle most of the time. That's why/how Google can sell a gigabit connections for what other cable companies sell their lowest speed connections...because people will occasionally use a lot of it, but most of the time it's nearly idle.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

In that BPON circumstance, pirates would only have to be using 20Mbps simultaneously for saturation. What to do when pirates are streaming content to multiple TV's in the house? What to do when theyre DL'ing/streaming blu-ray quality bit-rates? Cmon.

Pirates are bad for not only the entertainment industry, but the MSO's as well. "Pirates spend more money on media.. bla bla bla" Yea right. They have so much money they feel the need to STEAL , yea, i said it.
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87

said by ITALIAN926:

In that BPON circumstance, pirates would only have to be using 20Mbps simultaneously for saturation. What to do when pirates are streaming content to multiple TV's in the house? What to do when theyre DL'ing/streaming blu-ray quality bit-rates? Cmon.

Pirates are bad for not only the entertainment industry, but the MSO's as well. "Pirates spend more money on media.. bla bla bla" Yea right. They have so much money they feel the need to STEAL , yea, i said it.

Not sure if you follow FIOS closely but BPON is yesterday's news. There are no new BPON installations since 2009-2010 and current BPON networks are continuously being upgraded if capacity on BPON is reaching its limit.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Terrible example is terrible.

does streaming legal services at the same rate somehow make the saturation go away? Of course it doesnt.

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

Xioden to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Wrong, not only does piracy cause lost TV revenue for Verizon, but those that STEAL obscene amounts of daily data puts them at risk for oversubscription of their CO PON cards, causing slowdowns for everyone.

BPON ~622 Mbps shared by 32 pirates. If all had a 50Mbps plan, well, you do the math.

Sounds to me like they need to upgrade their infrastructure then if it often isn't able to actually provide full service to all subscribers in that area.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926 to serge87

to serge87
Nah, I dont follow tech news at all. I used an example of BPON to use actual numbers , the concept applies to ANY architecture, whether its GPON, XPON, DSL or cable.
serge87
New York

serge87

said by ITALIAN926:

Nah, I dont follow tech news at all. I used an example of BPON to use actual numbers , the concept applies to ANY architecture, whether its GPON, XPON, DSL or cable.

Sorry, but XGPON would NOT be saturated as all 32 users wouldn't be able to max out even if they all subscribed to the 300mb plan and cranked it 100% simultaneously.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Really? And all of a sudden file size has limit. Interesting. XPON wouldnt be limited to 300 Mbps anyway.

Dont you think that stolen files get larger as pipes grow?
Expand your moderator at work
serge87
New York

serge87 to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926

Re: Is this some kind of joke?

said by ITALIAN926:

Really? And all of a sudden file size has limit. Interesting. XPON wouldnt be limited to 300 Mbps anyway.

Dont you think that stolen files get larger as pipes grow?

I am not sure I understand what you mean by file size(?)

With XGPON(or 10G-PON) at the current Quantum speed plan levels released just a few months ago, if all 32 users subscribed to the 300Mbps plan it would still leave 640Mbps of unallocated download bandwidth. At 64 users, it would allocate 160Mbps per user if split equally.

However, you are right that there probably will be higher speed plans if XGPON is implemented. Verizon's CEO just recently stated a possible 1Gbps in the works for the future. On my 300Mbps plan, I currently use 60-100 Terabytes per month and would greatly benefit from a 1Gbps line. Thankfully all my use is 100% legal so this anti-piracy program will not affect me.

ITALIAN926

3 edits

ITALIAN926

As the internet world is supplied with bigger pipes, larger file sizes for legit and stolen video will get larger. This includes the video offerings for the MSO's as well to eventually provide 1080p and beyond (for 4k , 8k HDTV's) via IPTV. So I have no idea what kind of file sizes are traded on torrents and such, but I highly doubt its a fully uncompressed Blu-Ray movie.

60-100 Terabytes? WTF? lol

My DVR has a 1 TB hard drive with 65 hours of 1080i HD video , and is HALF full. 60-100 TB's? I just cant comprehend.
serge87
New York

serge87

said by ITALIAN926:

As the internet world is supplied with bigger pipes, larger file sizes for legit and stolen video will get larger. This includes the video offerings for the MSO's as well to eventually provide 1080p and beyond (for 4k , 8k HDTV's) via IPTV. So I have no idea what kind of file sizes are traded on torrents and such, but I highly doubt its a fully uncompressed Blu-Ray movie.

60-100 Terabytes? WTF? lol

My DVR has a 1 TB hard drive with 65 hours of 1080i HD video , and is HALF full. 60-100 TB's? I just cant comprehend.

I get that reaction a lot But I wouldn't be paying $220/month if I wasn't going to use it to its potential. It would be like a soccer mom buying a Ferrari for weekend grocery shopping LOL

I believe 4K resolution would take roughly 20-25Mbps, not much relatively speaking if you consider Verizon's FIOS offerings. Is there any premium TV or movie channel that even streams at true 1080p/24fps? Most are 720p60 or 1080i because the higher quality 1080p/24 stream is seen as inefficient use of limited customer bandwidth.
serge87

serge87 to Xioden

to Xioden
said by Xioden:

Sounds to me like they need to upgrade their infrastructure then if it often isn't able to actually provide full service to all subscribers in that area.

What do you call the rollout of GPON then ?

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

Xioden

Premium Member

An upgrade that they obviously need to hurry up and actually deploy to said oversubscribed node.