how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kamus

join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

This is gonna blow up on their face...

Sell people high speed Internet, then send them back to 90's speeds. Sounds like a fool proof plan to me...

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
... nothing to worry about if people follow the laws.

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by ITALIAN926:

if it still exists a year after it's introduced I'll be surprised...

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1
reply to ITALIAN926
Really? what about if your accused falsely? It costs $35 to prove even have a chance to plead that your innocent.

Seems pretty backwards to me.

TheHelpful1
Premium
join:2002-01-11
Upper Marlboro, MD

1 recommendation

reply to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Really? How about the law of due process in the constitution? They are making you pay a fee to prove your innocence when it should be the accuser who should be paying the toll to a court when they have solid, verifiable information. Comments like yours seriously ruffle my feathers.

And remember, this is copyright infringement, not criminal theft (at least until the EI pads enough people in D.C. to re-write the law in their favor). Its a civil matter, like if Mr. C were to chase after Mr. A to tell him to go tell Mr. B to give him his stuff back. Go tell Mr B. yourself A.Hole.

How would you like it if I were to war-drive to your house, crack your wi-fi and download an inordinate amount of data every night while you are sleeping and sit back and laugh as you get throttled down to 256K? There is no check and balance here to make sure the "offender" is the one who is actually offending.
--
"My weakness is that I care too much"

ITALIAN926

Youre gonna crack my WPA2 and my mac filtering? Good luck.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
LOL, you think either of those is that hard to do?

How cute. No wonder you come here arguing the way you do.

TheHelpful1
Premium
join:2002-01-11
Upper Marlboro, MD
Beat me to it
Expand your moderator at work

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to MovieLover76

Re: This is gonna blow up on their face...

said by MovieLover76:

Really? what about if your accused falsely?

6 times in a row?

It costs $35 to prove even have a chance to plead that your innocent.

if you get accused of crime to you not have to pay bail and pay for a lawyer?

How about speeding tickets. I get a ticket saying I MUST pay and yet I have even been to court to prove my innocence. The cop is being judge and jury and handing out sentence.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to Skippy25
said by Skippy25:

LOL, you think either of those is that hard to do?

How cute. No wonder you come here arguing the way you do.

How many people are going to have neighbors that can do that? Most neighbors I have are pretty stupid when it comes to technical things.

serge87

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by 88615298:

Most neighbors I have are pretty stupid when it comes to technical things.

Just answered your own question And that's why people will get copyright notices because as you say they're too stupid to setup WPA2 or secure their network.

bushleaguer

join:2007-01-22
Gillette, NJ
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

It costs $35 to prove even have a chance to plead that your innocent.

if you get accused of crime to you not have to pay bail and pay for a lawyer?

How about speeding tickets. I get a ticket saying I MUST pay and yet I have even been to court to prove my innocence. The cop is being judge and jury and handing out sentence.

Copyright infringement is not a crime - it is a civil offense between two parties.

As an aside - when you get a speeding ticket you have to sign it but signing it is not an admission of guilt - you have to go to court and enter a plea and proceed from there. You don't have to pay the court a fee to prove your innocence.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
Your ISP is not the court. They are simply doing what DMCA tells them they are permitted to do. You are more than welcome to take them to court and get out of paying that $35, but you are going to spend a lot more than $35 to prove your innocence.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to Skippy25
Have you ever cracked a decent length, strong password WPA2 secured router? I didn't think so. It is hard to do. No, it is nearly impossible to do. If it is not a short, simple password, it is not going to happen.

serge87

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by silbaco:

Have you ever cracked a decent length, strong password WPA2 secured router? I didn't think so. It is hard to do. No, it is nearly impossible to do. If it is not a short, simple password, it is not going to happen.

If the character length is under 7-8 characters it can be cracked in a matter of days if not hours. There have been studies of companies whose password databases were leaked and conclusions drawn from the choice of passwords users selected. From that data it was shown that a large number, if not a majority, had short and sometimes embarrassingly easy passwords.

ITALIAN926

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Yes, like I said long ago, good luck cracking MY 30+ character WPA2 w/ MAC filtering. If some loser is intelligent enough to break that, just to illgally download copyright, he should take his talents to the computer industry and get a JOB, so he can afford to not break the law.

IF this was to happen to me, after my first couple notices of violations, I guess Id then have to shutt down my wireless and go cat5. Really wouldnt be a big deal.

serge87

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by ITALIAN926:

Yes, like I said long ago, good luck cracking MY 30+ character WPA2 w/ MAC filtering. If some loser is intelligent enough to break that, just to illgally download copyright, he should take his talents to the computer industry and get a JOB, so he can afford to not break the law.

IF this was to happen to me, after my first couple notices of violations, I guess Id then have to shutt down my wireless and go cat5. Really wouldnt be a big deal.

You're part of the under 5% who use passwords longer than 12 characters. The reason why this anti-piracy campaign will fail is because morons who can't make a wifi password other than "12345" or "password"(cat 5, wat iz dat?) are going to be the ones to complain the loudest when they get served piracy notices and their expensive 'Super Fast FIOS' is throttled at just above 56K speeds. Verizon will become overwhelmed with legal battles and ultimately will file it under 'fail'. You heard it here first lol

ITALIAN926

Im sure any notices to customers will include instructions on how to set up their security to WPA2

serge87

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by ITALIAN926:

Im sure any notices to customers will include instructions on how to set up their security to WPA2

a.k.a closing the barn door after the horse has escaped.

ITALIAN926

Is it a 1 strike program?

serge87

said by ITALIAN926:

Is it a 1 strike program?

For the lawyers, yes.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

AT&T (and their predecessor, SBC) are not exactly known for accurate billing. If their identification of infringer IP addresses is similar to what my mother went through with SBC billing about eight years back, I'd be foolish to not worry. Following the law is no guaranty that they will be accurate, or correct, in identifying putative infringers.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

You really don't understand that system, do you. You don't have to pay unless you don't want to contest the allegation of violation. There is no fee to enter a "not guilty" plea before a judge.
--
Norman

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by MovieLover76:

Really? what about if your accused falsely?

6 times in a row?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcL3eP0Hfy4
--
Norman