Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

This just in: Non-Canadian call centres ignore Canadian laws

Just absolutely shocking to all of us, I'm sure.

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 ··· ers.html

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
Thank you, Captain Obvious!

jobr

join:2004-10-21
Halifax, NS
reply to bt
Someone should start something similar to spamhaus.org, but for rogue telemarketers, putting pressure on the VoIP carriers to take down their connections.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to bt
If the CBC had any balls, they will go after the duct cleaning companies that are using these call centres and expose them. After the abuse people would give them, it would stop

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
said by donoreo:

If the CBC had any balls, they will go after the duct cleaning companies that are using these call centres and expose them. After the abuse people would give them, it would stop

lol. so true. Add National home service and and other Water Heater and furnace guys who just enter home without permission. And threaten you if not allowed to inspect furnace/heater. This is right in Toronto and nothing can be done about it even when the company know this is wrong. The you have future shop employees lying to you and selling the laptop $100 more than advertised price.
These things are clearly criminal but nothing can be done about this.
So how do you expect a company from some third world country to obey the laws.

read the CBC article and found the disgusting comments when asked about supervisor. But nothing you can do about. There are many prank calls where somebody was asked to break their window and all. What is done about that.

I have received these calls and some from India and Philippines.
The Bell centre from Philippines was nice to talk but called me so many times. So I had to threaten them if you dont stop calling I will some no nice words. And dont forget those Microsoft tech support calls. Anybody still getting that. Those are also from Pakistan I think.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to donoreo
When I made my appointment the truck that arrived had Nova Duct Cleaning written on the side. Nova is listed in St Catherines, so I doubt they drove here to Mississauga. If they did so be it. It was very weather beaten, perhaps a second hand truck. But yes I agree they should go after the company using the call centre.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
reply to donoreo
CBC has no balls, just bias.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to bt
Cue urbanriot to tell us how he stops them despite the fact no one else has been able to replicate his success including myself.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
reply to bt
I tell them I have no ducks for them to clean but that I do have some fish.

Anyway, best way to deal with these calls is to put them on hold. Hopefully you're not expecting a call, but in the end they will eventually put you one there DNC list.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Kitlope

join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab
reply to bt
I used to get crazy amounts of spam on my landline. Probably a dozen calls a week. As a joke, I started answering my landline with a English-Mandarin accent "Ni How Mah!" If there was someone on the other end they would ask for me again and I would just respond "Ni How Mah!" then I would hang up. Sometimes they would even hang up on me

Since I started doing that, my spam calls are now perhaps 2 or 3 a week which is a lot more tolerable. I'm hoping they wipe me off their lists because of this "language barrier" and I'm thinking to some degree it has worked. It's also fun entertainment, especially when you have guests over.

StyxKee

join:2001-07-05
GTA, Canada
reply to bt
I wonder if you put 2 speaker phones together, would they hear the feedback squeal?

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
said by StyxKee:

I wonder if you put 2 speaker phones together, would they hear the feedback squeal?

I have been known to put them on speakerphone and accidentally turn on my cordless phone and accidentally put it up to the speaker and yes it makes a loud annoying noise. I feel so bad. I'm glad I got this off my chest.

analog andy

join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC
reply to bt

Foreign telemarketing firms are “harassing” Canadians on the federal do-not-call list, and the CRTC is powerless to stop them, a CBC investigation has found.

CRTC and the gov have LOTS of power here. If I'm running a web server in a country where something is legal but its illegal here and I'm serving/selling that something to Canadians the gov can go after me just fine.

Fine one of the companies, name and shame them and its solved.

horsey

@eastlink.ca
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

I tell them I have no ducks for them to clean but that I do have some fish.

Anyway, best way to deal with these calls is to put them on hold. Hopefully you're not expecting a call, but in the end they will eventually put you one there DNC list.

Love duck... hate pin feathers they can clean my ducks anytime.

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to bt
My solution is simple and effective! Each and EVERY time anyone calls me and mentions the words "duct cleaning" I scream "F**K YOU!!!!" and hang up. After a couple of weeks they figure it out and stop wasting their time.

But I agree that the CRTC is full of sh*t when they say they can't prosecute. As has been mentioned, all they have to do is go after the instigators who are contracting these sh*tstains to harass us. Fine the duct cleaners, not their telemarketing monkeys.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to bt
there has got to be a way of finding out who these companies are (in Canada, using this as a way to circumvent the laws)...i say, find out who they are, and fine them, severely.

and seriously, in this day and age, who really thinks telemarketing is a positive thing to do??...no one likes calls from home, and everything about it has such a negative connotation to it...if i had a small business, and wanted to do some marketing, telemarketing wouldn't even be a consideration.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Yes they are traceable
Set up an appointment
Truck shows up
Note trucks license
Trace plate
Fine plate owner

That was easy

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
join:2004-04-13
Canada
reply to loosedobbs
said by loosedobbs:

lol. so true. Add National home service and and other Water Heater and furnace guys who just enter home without permission. And threaten you if not allowed to inspect furnace/heater. This is right in Toronto and nothing can be done about it even when the company know this is wrong.

it's called call the cops, report them for attempted break and enter.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to bt
1-800-No-Surprise

Sukunai
Premium
join:2008-05-07
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to bt
The day is soooo long and there are soooo many things to make it less than fun.

WHY do people get so bent out of shape over call center calls?

Does it cost you something to answer the phone? If it does, well shit you have a problem with the phone you are using, not the using of the phone.

I answer a call, and the moment it is 'is this [insert my name here with a question implied], and usually I am just 'nope' and I hang up. I never talk to people that don't actually know me.

I don't care if the calls are legit from say my bank or credit card for instance.

My doctor knows the sound of my voice as does my dentist. When they call they don't ask if it is me, they actually know my voice. That and their number registers too.

A person can always just have fun with the call.

Put them on hold, and just not come back.

Play something idiotic in the background.

Start asking them all sorts of dumb ass questions.

Make the call lengthy as possible, as these schmucks are being measured on duration eh.
Expand your moderator at work

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·voip.ms
reply to bt

Re: This just in: Non-Canadian call centres ignore Canadian laws

This is the very reason I never signed up for the do not call list. Same reason the gun registry failed - criminals do not respect the law.

If any telemarketer calls, I tell them we do not accept telephone solicitation, since I have no idea if they are who they say they are. Caller ID can be spoofed.

The solution is easier than the problem. Just get VoIP, and redirect all telemarketer calls to the RCMP Anti Fraud Hotline 1-888-495-8501. If enough people do this, the telemarketers will give up and go out of business.
Expand your moderator at work

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to peterboro

Re: This just in: Non-Canadian call centres ignore Canadian laws

said by peterboro:

Cue urbanriot to tell us how he stops them despite the fact no one else has been able to replicate his success including myself.

Did you contact the CRTC or just cry about it? There's a process you need to engage in to outright end them. Not sure why you're bitter about another person's success.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
said by urbanriot:

said by peterboro:

Did you contact the CRTC or just cry about it? There's a process you need to engage in to outright end them. Not sure why you're bitter about another person's success.

We discussed this in another thread where I stated I contacted the CRTC and they are useless if the call center is out of Canada. CBC just did a story on it as well.

»www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/ID/23249 ··· 4974910/

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by peterboro:

We discussed this in another thread where I stated I contacted the CRTC and they are useless if the call center is out of Canada. CBC just did a story on it as well.

Not true. We also discussed that if the offending caller is in the USA, the CRTC will work with the FCC to end it.

Obviously you can't do anything about scam phone calls as it's their business to break the law, but you can end the nefarious practices of legitimate businesses in Canada or USA.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
said by urbanriot:

said by peterboro:

Not true. We also discussed that if the offending caller is in the USA, the CRTC will work with the FCC to end it.

True, I posted that the call center was in the US and the CRTC washed their hands of it. Their US counterpart does not have the resources to force compliance other than by consent. Obviously you were one of the lucky ones.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
Yea, that's weird. I'll be the first to freak out about the CRTC, especially when it comes to CanCon, but concerning telephone situations they were really professional and diligent after my escalation and even gave me a return phone call to ensure the issue was resolved.

In my email history with their representative, they went so far as to send me multiple Microsoft Word .doc files involving my case with references to FCC communications, then listed the .doc files in the email as to what they pertained to.

My experiences were in 2008 - 2009 so perhaps things have changed, but back then it was what I'd call a top notch government service. I can't believe I just said that.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to bt
I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I found that I don't get many telemarketing calls (1 yr after I put my current # on the list).

I had a spike of calls about a month ago but it turned out it was MBNA (i googled the #). I have an account with them so under crtc rules they can contact me. I simply asked to be placed on their "Internal Do Not Call List" and the calls stopped.

I find that alot of people I talk to don't understand the rules. Any company you have an existing business relationship with can continue to call you. They do need to keep an internal list. If you specifically ask to go on it, they have to stop calling you unless it directly relates to your existing business (like a credit card company calling you to say they froze your card because they suspected fraud).

Newspapers and Charities also have exemptions but are required to keep internal do not call lists.

Yes there are foreign call centres that are cheating, but I find they are few and far between.

edit: Maybe it's because bell got fined 10 million for trying to circumvent the rules by contracting out the calls to a foreign call centre?