uniqs
share rss forum feed

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to bt

Re: This just in: Non-Canadian call centres ignore Canadian laws

Cue urbanriot to tell us how he stops them despite the fact no one else has been able to replicate his success including myself.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by peterboro:

Cue urbanriot to tell us how he stops them despite the fact no one else has been able to replicate his success including myself.

Did you contact the CRTC or just cry about it? There's a process you need to engage in to outright end them. Not sure why you're bitter about another person's success.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
said by urbanriot:

said by peterboro:

Did you contact the CRTC or just cry about it? There's a process you need to engage in to outright end them. Not sure why you're bitter about another person's success.

We discussed this in another thread where I stated I contacted the CRTC and they are useless if the call center is out of Canada. CBC just did a story on it as well.

»www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/ID/2324974910/

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by peterboro:

We discussed this in another thread where I stated I contacted the CRTC and they are useless if the call center is out of Canada. CBC just did a story on it as well.

Not true. We also discussed that if the offending caller is in the USA, the CRTC will work with the FCC to end it.

Obviously you can't do anything about scam phone calls as it's their business to break the law, but you can end the nefarious practices of legitimate businesses in Canada or USA.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
said by urbanriot:

said by peterboro:

Not true. We also discussed that if the offending caller is in the USA, the CRTC will work with the FCC to end it.

True, I posted that the call center was in the US and the CRTC washed their hands of it. Their US counterpart does not have the resources to force compliance other than by consent. Obviously you were one of the lucky ones.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
Yea, that's weird. I'll be the first to freak out about the CRTC, especially when it comes to CanCon, but concerning telephone situations they were really professional and diligent after my escalation and even gave me a return phone call to ensure the issue was resolved.

In my email history with their representative, they went so far as to send me multiple Microsoft Word .doc files involving my case with references to FCC communications, then listed the .doc files in the email as to what they pertained to.

My experiences were in 2008 - 2009 so perhaps things have changed, but back then it was what I'd call a top notch government service. I can't believe I just said that.