kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Re: [POLL] Do you use Java; disable it; or uninstall it ?

On all of my computers Java is disabled by default.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to FFH5

Mod

to FFH5
I wish I couldn't but I need it for juniper vpn because juniper software is just about as bad as oracle.

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Installed but disabled in browsers.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Disabled.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
I use Java a lot. It is required for accurate speed tests. Flash tests are not accurate.

The application that should be disabled by meddlesome browsers is Flash not Java. Flash should be allowed only by toggle switch. Tell me why Mozillia and Apple are such hypocrites?

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

because they're in league with nvidia

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
All of my HP and Dell switches and UPS management cards use and require java.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

I think that's so because that kind of software needs to run on many platforms. It's exactly the kind of application that Java was designed for (i.e. platform independence).

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

1 recommendation

Anonymous88 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
I use Java and keep it updated all the time.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

Grail Knight to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Installed but have it available on a per site basis.
Really have not had a need for it in some time.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
In the past, I used to have it installed but disabled. I enabled it when needed it. However, I got sick of its security holes and frequent updates. I rarely use Java too. I don't play Minecraft too. So bye bye! I can always install it if needed.
NyNexit
join:2009-11-01
Huntington, NY

NyNexit to FFH5

to FFH5
Thanks for the heads up guys, Just un-installed...

DevilFrank
join:2003-07-13

DevilFrank to FFH5

to FFH5
JAVA? No way. Don´t need it and it is banned from all my PC´s.

dp
MVM
join:2000-12-08
Greensburg, PA

dp to FFH5

MVM

to FFH5
I don't use java anymore and no longer have it installed.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to FFH5

MVM

to FFH5
I have a game that requires java. Other then that I use no script to allow or disallow.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
I have Java (or more precisely OpenJDK) installed, I need it to compile and run Java programs I use. I use IcedTea-Web Plugin with Firefox.
baess
join:2011-01-28

baess to FFH5

to FFH5
I have Java on my desktop and my browser is IE8 (I know, I know). So I should disable it under "manage add-ons", correct?

I assume once disabled it can't turn on without me allowing it. Is disabling it, rather than completely uninstalling, enough to prevent any potential threats?

I suppose I could uninstall completely. I don't have it at all on my laptop (IE9) and rarely miss it.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Yes, I do use Java on several of my computers, but a single Yes/No "Do you use Java on your computer?" question is really insufficient, since there are many uses for Java besides its use as a remote web site programming application.

One of the local uses I have for Java is an http interface to an ancient HP print server; although since Oracle took it over from Sun, Java is so slow and unreliable, that it often makes using it painful. So painful that I no longer use it as a VNC client (as was formerly my preference), and I have also started using telnet to the HP print server for the same reason (security isn't the only reason that Oracle's Java sux).

As for Internet usage of Java, my primary browser is SeaMonkey and I also use NoScript so that Java is blocked by default unless I allow it. The Java executable is also blocked at the firewall level except for LAN usage unless I manually override that as well.
ds7
join:2012-11-07
Montpelier, VT

ds7 to FFH5

to FFH5
Previously needed it for GotomyPC, for my job at the time. Also have used the browser plugin for keepvid.com, which is a convenient way to download Flash videos.

I don't even have the current version installed. But I don't think there's much risk in my setup. All web applets except the one are excluded by Noscript, and even if the 'keepvid' applet turned malicious, it would be unlikely to have a good exploit for Debian, and even if that somehow happened, it would be unlikely to gain root.

I've made a living as a Java developer, but today I think Java is fading away. Web applets that people actually use, and fat local applications are increasingly rare (Vuze, JEdit). The language/runtime/etc. is still going strong only in the area of big server-side web applications.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

The heat is on Oracle for this latest Java vulnerability and they have responded a fix will be out shortly. I guess everyone saying to disable their software has them concerned.

»www.reuters.com/article/ ··· 20130112

Oracle Corp said it is preparing an update to address a flaw in its widely used Java software after the U.S. Department of Homeland Security urged computer users to disable the program in web browsers because criminal hackers are exploiting a security bug to attack PCs.

"A fix will be available shortly," the company said in a statement released late on Friday.

Company officials could not be reached on Saturday to say how quickly the update would be available for the hundreds of millions of PCs that have Java installed.

Java was responsible for 50 percent of all cyber attacks last year in which hackers broke into computers by exploiting software bugs, according to Kaspersky. That was followed by Adobe Reader, which was involved in 28 percent of all incidents. Microsoft Windows and Internet Explorer were involved in about 3 percent of incidents, according to the survey.

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 edit

StuartMW

Premium Member

Yes well they haven't been so concerned in the past. But as you said "the heat is on" this time due to the media attention etc.

FYI »Is Oracle Java 7 Update 10 Going to Improve Security?

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

Blackbird to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

Java was responsible for 50 percent of all cyber attacks last year in which hackers broke into computers by exploiting software bugs, according to Kaspersky. That was followed by Adobe Reader, which was involved in 28 percent of all incidents. ...

Fascinating... eliminating both Java and Adobe Reader would of itself have effectively eliminated 78% of hacker break-ins last year, by Kaspersky's stats. There's something sobering about that...

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

Yes well they haven't been so concerned in the past. But as you said "the heat is on" this time due to the media attention etc.

FYI »Is Oracle Java 7 Update 10 Going to Improve Security?

OTOH, if the pressure gets to high, they could simply discontinue support for Java, or sell the licensing rights to someone else. At one time, selling it might have been relatively easy (Microsoft might have bought it just to kill it), but now...

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

Well Microsoft developed .NET after Sun sued them for having their own JVM. Oh the ironing

Maybe someone would buy it. Adobe bought (Flash from) Macromedia. Not sure if that's working out so well for them

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer to Blackbird

Premium Member

to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

said by FFH5:

Java was responsible for 50 percent of all cyber attacks last year in which hackers broke into computers by exploiting software bugs, according to Kaspersky. That was followed by Adobe Reader, which was involved in 28 percent of all incidents. ...

Fascinating... eliminating both Java and Adobe Reader would of itself have effectively eliminated 78% of hacker break-ins last year, by Kaspersky's stats. There's something sobering about that...

That is why I always disable the Adobe PDF plug-in in my browsers. My default PDF action is "save as a file". I also disable all scripting and external application launch capabilities in the Adobe PDF reader.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

That is why I always disable the Adobe PDF plug-in in my browsers. My default PDF action is "save as a file".

Yup

»'Better than Adobe' Foxit PDF plugin hit by worse-than-Adobe

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

1 recommendation

jaykaykay to Dustyn

MVM

to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

Installed but both browsers require my permission to launch it.

This is what I do as well. There are times when I must use it, but I know that when I do, it's at my own risk.
90115534 (banned)
Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned) to FFH5

to FFH5
I don't even have it on my computer.

Never liked it.
vister8
join:2009-09-16
Montreal-Nord, QC

vister8 to jaykaykay

to jaykaykay
I just uninstalled

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

said by vister8:

I just uninstalled

Same, been spending most of the day taking it off my computers. It was never enabled but there's no sense taking any chances.