share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

2 recommendations

reply to Khaine

Re: [POLL] Do you use Java; disable it; or uninstall it ?

said by Khaine:

I still have java installed because I need it for GlimmerBlocker. However, I don't enable the java webstart stuff and disable java within Safari and Firefox

The latest Java releases have the ability to stop drive-by java apps runs at bad web sites if implemented in your browser. Firefox has implemented the 2 step verification process in FF 18.

Java Security stops driveby install

Firefox implement new Java option

2nd step verify of Java OK in FF

So it is possible to keep Java installed and not suffer drive-by installs of the Java exploit.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

»JAVA 7u11 now available for download
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

Installed without problems on a Win 8 and a Win 7 system. But I am still keeping the prompt and 2 step verification security options I listed in post above.
»Re: [POLL] Do you use Java; disable it; or uninstall it ?
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

TechnoGeek

join:2013-01-07
reply to aussiedog

I left Java on, but with NoScript in Firefox I should be okay. Hopefully Oracle patches this quick.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

said by TechnoGeek:

I left Java on, but with NoScript in Firefox I should be okay. Hopefully Oracle patches this quick.

As another poster said above. It has now been patched.
»Re: [POLL] Do you use Java; disable it; or uninstall it ?
--

TechnoGeek

join:2013-01-07
reply to FFH

D'oh, nice. That's what I get for not reading the thread.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
reply to FFH

The prompt from Java comes not from Fx, or any browser, but from YOU setting the security slider for Java in the control panel to "high" or "very high". You will get the prompt on ALL browsers with the Java security slider set at "high" or "very high".

You can permanently approve sites you trust or elect to see the prompt every time at all sites.

I experimented with the slider as soon as Oracle released a Java version that has it. I will keep it on "high" with no trusted sites exempted. That means though that every time I want to do a speed test I will see the the prompt as I do Web100 tests and those have no signed Java code (but the publicly available ones are all located at scientific institutions or universiities so hopefully attention is paid to keep the servers clean security wise.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 recommendation

said by Mele20:

I experimented with the slider as soon as Oracle released a Java version that has it. I will keep it on "high" with no trusted sites exempted.

FYI the slider in Java 7U11 seems to default to "high".
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

That's interesting! Good for Oracle!

i was amused just now when I went to "java.com" website and clicked to test if my Java was working (7U10) and nothing happened. Finally, after more than the 20 seconds the test should take if Java is working properly, I got a Java prompt! I don't know about version 7U11 but on 7U10 getting that prompt with the slider at "high" (and "medium" being default) that means Oracle doesn't sign their code! At least, I think that High means prompt on all sites with unsigned Java code and "Very High" means prompt on all applets ....signed code or not.

I was also glad to see that Oracle disregarded their long standing policy of not offering the latest Java update at "java.com" until it had been out for one week but are offering it immediately there. Still though...I don't want to upgrade and have Java not work on Fx...yet Oracle is not going to fix the bug until next version...3 months away? The workarounds are rather cumbersome.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

MorpheusUK

join:2003-09-09
reply to FFH

Yes, but I make a living as a Java developer (like most Java stuff these days that's bespoke business rather than consumer applications and server side web stuff) and have Eclipse IDE installed at home for the occassional stuff I do here. I also have Vuze installed and libreOffice which require/use Java.

I have the plugin in my browser but generally run noclick so it spends most of its time blocked except for special cases like my NAS drives software.
--
Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they are not after you

Trihexagonal

join:2004-08-29
US
reply to FFH

I use FreeBSD as my only OS and never compile JAVA on any of my machines.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:1
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

said by rfhar:

I disabled Java months ago and have not found a site that required I need it since.

Try some of the TOOLS on dslreports.com. They need Java. Like the Tweak test.

That's because they are out of date. Ancient by todays standards.

--
Be a Good Netizen - Read, Know & Complain About Overly Restrictive Tyrannical ISP ToS & AUP »comcast.net/terms/ »verizon.net/policies/
Say Thanks with a Tool Points Donation

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

The speed tests that need java on dslr are not out of date. Flash tests are utter crap when it comes to accurately testing your speed. As for Tweak test you forget that there are still a lot of XP users out there for whom that test is very useful.
--

Buddel
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Premium
join:2004-03-06
EU
kudos:3

2 edits
reply to FFH

Neither YES nor NO - I disabled it in my browser. I can't uninstall it because I need it for a couple of programs I use. If I didn't need these programs, I would get rid of this pest!