spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Mpierce77
join:2013-01-10
Methuen, MA

Mpierce77

[Northeast] TroubleShooting 3rd Actiontec router

Good afternoon, I'm a newbie to the site and hope that I’m posting my issue in the correct forum.
I'm a Verizon Fios subscriber and currently I have an Actiontec Rev F(primary router) in the office on the 2nd floor, a 2nd Actiontec Rev F (bridged Router) on the 1st floor. Both routers are bridged via coax. I want to add ANOTHER Actiontec router to the master on the 2nd floor. This router is an Actiontec Rev C and I've been having issues trying to bridge this router. It worked for a day or so and now it doesn’t want to connect to the internet. I continue to receive an invalid gateway prompt on my samsung TV thats connected to the router. I have followed the instructions below but still nothing. I'm about to pull my hair out:

»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

I disable all network connections except for network(home/office). I’ve noticed that some instructions direct me to check off Ethernet and coax under the connection description after I enter a valid IP address, but Coax is not available as an option.
Help!!!

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by Mpierce77:

I want to add ANOTHER Actiontec router to the master on the 2nd floor. This router is an Actiontec Rev C and I've been having issues trying to bridge this router.

The instructions in the FAQ should be equally valid for the rev. C as they were for the rev. F.

Have you checked the MOCA LAN stats on the rev. C?
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »How do I check MOCA stats?
You could be having MOCA connectivity issues.
You should see all MOCA devices listed in the MOCA stats screen in the rev. C.
said by Mpierce77:

I continue to receive an invalid gateway prompt on my samsung TV thats connected to the router.

Can you get a connection through the rev. C using a PC?

How many MOCA devices do your have (i.e. routers and STBs)?

The key things to remember when using an Actiontec as a MOCA bridge are:
•Disable the Broadband (Coax) interface
•Disable DHCP server
•Set aside a range for static IP addresses in your primary router (e.g. 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.10). IOW, start your DHCP assignment range at 192.168.1.11.
•Make sure you don't have another device assigned to the static IP address you've assigned to the Actiontec. The first Bridge should be 192.168.1.2, the second one 192.168.1.3, etc.
said by Mpierce77:

I’ve noticed that some instructions direct me to check off Ethernet and coax under the connection description after I enter a valid IP address, but Coax is not available as an option.

I'm not understanding this statement. Can you please clarify?
Mpierce77
Methuen, MA

Mpierce77

said by More Fiber
Have you checked the MOCA LAN stats on the rev. C?

Yes;
Wan Coax Connection Stats
Router: 232.54
ONT: 221.91

said by More Fiber
Can you get a connection through the rev. C using a PC?

I can now get a connection on my TV and PC when connected to router but after 15-20mins of connectivity I lose connection. I then must cycle the power on and off on the router. Which allows me top connect to the internet again but only for a short time

said by More Fiber
How many MOCA devices do your have (i.e. routers and STBs)?

3 Actiontec routers, 2 HD STB, and 1 non HD box

I apologize regarding the quotations, trying to learn how to use this feature.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by Mpierce77:

Wan Coax Connection Stats
Router: 232.54
ONT: 221.91

I asked for the MOCA LAN stats. You gave me the MOCA WAN stats.

However, the fact the the rev. C is showing MOCA WAN stats indicates you have not disabled the Broadband (Coax) interface on the rev. C. It is absolutely necessary that the Broadband (Coax) interface on the rev. C is disabled, otherwise it will fight with the primary router for control of the MOCA WAN connection to the ONT. See step 2.3 in the following FAQ:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?
Mpierce77
Methuen, MA

1 edit

Mpierce77

Attached is a photo illustrating that the Broadband (Coax) has been disabled. There is also another photo illustrating the Coax Connection Stats from the Actiontec Rev C. The 3rd photo is the Coax connection from the main router. I noticed the Coax connection page on the main router that the MAC address for the Actiontec Rev C is not illustrated. Also has stated previously the router only stays connected to the internet for a max of 20mins before it disconnects.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Can you please post your Network Connections again after clicking on the Advanced button? This will expand the Network H/O group.

The Moax LAN stats from the rev. C (2nd pic) show no MOCA connection at all. At the time you took this screen cap, did you have any connectivity? It would appear that there was none. This would indicate one of two things:
•Your coax connection to the rev. C is either not connected or is intermittent.
•The MOCA LAN chip in the rev. C is failing.

From the third pic, I'm assuming the MAC address of device 1 matches the secondary rev. F. Those MOCA LAN speeds look good, but obviously, the rev C should be present and is not.
Mpierce77
Methuen, MA

Mpierce77

Attached is a photo of the network connections expanded

Yes, when I took the screen shot of the MOCA LAN stats from Rev C. I was able to connect to the internet. Today I noticed the the MAC address from Device 4 (3rd pic from previous post) is the same MAC Address as the COAX Connection listed under Network H/O group for Rev C.