dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
scoobyfan
join:2013-01-08
Millbury, MA

scoobyfan

Re: [Northeast] Has anyone else ever had this problem?

After dealing with a number of phone reps who thought I was crazy, one finally took up my cause and found the problem. Bad card at the CO just like you both thought. I'm now back to perfect speeds.

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9

said by scoobyfan:

After dealing with a number of phone reps who thought I was crazy

Just got off the phone a few minutes ago with VZ Biz FIOS support and need to go bang my head on a brick wall to relieve the frustration.

Business FIOS connection went down. Router interface showed connection up, protocol up. No interface errors. Issue was no traffic was passing; could not even ping the default gateway.

I'll spare the details for sake of brevity, but she insisted a traceroute would show where the problem was. No amount of reasoning would get it through to her that traceroutes show nothing. If we can't even ping the default gateway, a traceroute would return no results except timeouts.

After repeatedly blaming our router (we use a Juniper SRX 220) I got sick of listening to her and told her to reboot the ONT.

Surprise, surprise, things started working again. I'd already bounced our router port facing the ONT, so I knew an interface reset wasn't the answer. It was something either inside the ONT not properly bridging traffic, or the ONT's connection with its counterpart in the C/O.

She continued insisting it was OUR router at fault, even though the evidence clearly showed otherwise.

I don't mind that Level 1 tech support doesn't have in-depth knowledge of all things routing and physical-- but I DO WISH that when a rep doesn't have a clue, they would NOT argue in ignorance. It makes those of us with a lot more experience very, very frustrated.