share rss forum feed

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26

Copyright UPDATE - My World updated - 01-11-2013

Hey all,

We have updated My World to reflect a fully accurate list of those affected, incorporating the errors we found last month just before the first court date.

We have also undertook a deeper dive still to ensure that private information was being as safeguarded as possible.

We did another pass again and cross-referenced with the first three passes and we also looked at all communications we've received from those notified. We have done everything technically possible to ensure that there was proper correlation between the IPs provided to us and the end user information.

Please log into My World if you are still unsure if you are affected.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

chrisl83

join:2011-06-21
Almonte, ON

I feel like even if ONE name on that list has/is proven to be false the whole list should be invalid.

Since it can't be proved it's 100% correct.

Just saying.

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to TSI Marc

How does this apply to fiber LAN connections? We don't have a MyWorld login.

Can something be done to have this visible on reseller panels?

jibby

join:2008-03-31
reply to TSI Marc

just wondering what has changed for this to get posted

was the list used for MyWorld not accurate up until today?

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

said by jibby:

just wondering what has changed for this to get posted

was the list used for MyWorld not accurate up until today?

It wasn't up to date for the 3rd pass (when they found they contacted people by mistake, and didn't contact a few). They confirmed the problem sometime in the early morning on the 17th, then went to court at 9:30am and told them about the problem.

I can only guess they were worried about additional errors and did a final 4th pass.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to voxframe

said by voxframe:

How does this apply to fiber LAN connections? We don't have a MyWorld login.

Can something be done to have this visible on reseller panels?

If you're subs were affected, we would have contacted you.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to resa1983

Right. We sent out noticed about the errors right away after we found them but we also did a fourth and again correlated any feedback we received by those we notified and verified against the list of IPs received.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

bdoyledimou

join:2002-08-20
Markham, ON

So i logged into Myworld and didn't see anything obvious indicating i am affected -- is it an obvious thing?

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

said by bdoyledimou:

So i logged into Myworld and didn't see anything obvious indicating i am affected -- is it an obvious thing?

Yeah. You're good.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

jkoblovsky

join:2011-09-27
Keswick, ON
kudos:2
reply to TSI Marc

Marc,

There are several legal questions with respect to your direct responsibility under PIPEDA.

»www.excesscopyright.blogspot.ca/···hat.html

Affected customers have the right to know whether these concerns will be directly addressed by TSI in court on Monday.
--
My Canadian Tech Podcast: »canadiantechnetwork.podbean.com/
My Self Help and Digital Policy Blog: »jkoblovsky.wordpress.com/

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Marc

This is funny because the written notifications I've received have been, in this order:

1) You're affected - to email associated with my account
2) You're affected - to email associated with a previous account
3) You're NOT affected - to email associated with my account

Does that mean I can claim I'm not affected?

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by JMJimmy:

This is funny because the written notifications I've received have been, in this order:

1) You're affected - to email associated with my account
2) You're affected - to email associated with a previous account
3) You're NOT affected - to email associated with my account

Does that mean I can claim I'm not affected?

lol are you serious?... but you got an email to both accounts, so does this mean your old account is affected?

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23

It'd be funny if it was - since that account was shut down months (years?) before the alleged infringement.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

1 edit

said by JMJimmy:

It'd be funny if it was - since that account was shut down months (years?) before the alleged infringement.

First arguments you /your lawyer can use are:

"Just because some data comes out of one or more computers doesn't make it accurate, your Honour.

Just look at Bell and Rogers billing systems for thousands of examples of inaccurate bills each month.

Now look at what TSI did - they've been trying to get 'accurate' data for months and they still don't have it.

Voltage/Canipre is expecting the court to assume that the program they used is 100% accurate 100% of the time. Where's the forensic analysis of that program done by an accredited body - perhaps a body like 'CERT' or the collected brains of the Dept. of Computer Engineering at the University of Waterloo - which proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the program is indeed 100% accurate 100% of the time? Where's that affidavit? Every program has bugs - even ones that have been on the market for decades and had thousands of bugs fixed along the way.

And what of the training of the operators and interpretation of the output of that program? Do they even know what they're doing?"

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by JMJimmy:

First arguments you /your lawyer can use are:

"Just because some data comes out of one or more computers doesn't make it accurate, your Honour.

Just look at Bell and Rogers billing systems for thousands of examples of inaccurate bills each month.

Now look at what TSI did - they've been trying to get 'accurate' data for months and they still don't have it.

Voltage/Canipre is expecting the court to assume that the program they used is 100% accurate 100% of the time. Where's the forensic analysis of that program done by an accredited body - perhaps a body like 'CERT' or the collected brains of the Dept. of Computer Engineering at the University of Waterloo - which proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the program is indeed 100% accurate 100% of the time? Where's that affidavit? Every program has bugs - even ones that have been on the market for decades and had thousands of bugs fixed along the way.

And what of the training of the operators and interpretation of the output of that program? Do they even know what they're doing?"

Absolutely agree with you. Feel free to use Windows as an example if you like. Been around how long? I started using a computer before windows existed and used doshell to navigate my computer after my unix days. Windows has had years to mature and still has bugs.

MaynardKrebs
Premium

said by Tx:

I started using a computer before windows existed and used doshell to navigate my computer after my unix days.

I was designing/building applications doing OLTP for billions of dollars of transactions each day before Windows(tm) was invented/stolen from Xerox/Apple. Ever hear of punch cards? I used them before unix was invented, so if you want to have a pissing contest......

Tx
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by Tx:

I started using a computer before windows existed and used doshell to navigate my computer after my unix days.

I was designing/building applications doing OLTP for billions of dollars of transactions each day before Windows(tm) was invented/stolen from Xerox/Apple. Ever hear of punch cards? I used them before unix was invented, so if you want to have a pissing contest......

it's not a pissing contest, i was agreeing with your comment. And yes i know of punch cards.

TradeOne

@teksavvy.com
reply to TSI Marc

Mr. Marc,

I want my privacy to be protected by Teksavvy. Please take notes of that and address it in court on Monday.

MaynardKrebs
Premium

said by TradeOne :

Mr. Marc,

I want my privacy to be protected by Teksavvy. Please take notes of that and address it in court on Monday.

He needs your real name in order to do that, unless your credit card on-file with TSI is in the name of "TradeOne".

Are you really that clued to not understand that writing something in this forum does not constitute legal notice either.

TraderOne

@teksavvy.com

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by TradeOne :

Mr. Marc,

He needs your real name in order to do that, unless your credit card on-file with TSI is in the name of "TradeOne".

Are you really that clued to not understand that writing something in this forum does not constitute legal notice either.

I already emailed my concern about customer privacy protection to Teksavvy a few weeks ago. I got no reply.

If Marc wants my real name, I will send out a notice in My World portal on Teksavvy's website (You need a Teksavvy account to login to My World).

I did not try to constitute a legal notice here. I just stated my concern and request as Teksavvy's customer.

When I do need to send out a legal notice, I will certainly do a in a proper way. Thank you for your concern.

By the way, It is "TraderOne", "TradeOne" is a typing mistake.

Voltage

join:2013-01-13
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to TSI Marc

....an update to the list on the 11th, when the date is the 14th? this is bogus. i am under the impression i could have logged into my world today and saw a notification sent only a few days ago saying that i am involved. that would be ridiculous. is it really rational to expect these people to get legal counsel before the 14th??

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

said by Voltage:

....an update to the list on the 11th, when the date is the 14th? this is bogus. i am under the impression i could have logged into my world today and saw a notification sent only a few days ago saying that i am involved. that would be ridiculous. is it really rational to expect these people to get legal counsel before the 14th??

There were 4 passes. 1st & 2nd pass were put up on myworld prior to the first hearing, as well as receiving emails. The day of the first hearing, they discovered errors. They emailed these people. They decided to do a 4th and final pass. They then flagged the 3rd pass myworld accounts.

People have known for over a month now via emails that they've been affected - all emails were sent to the billing email address on the account. The Myworld flagging was to help facilitate people checking that they didn't lose an email.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Voltage

join:2013-01-13
Reviews:
·VMedia

i didnt really get your chain of events. so im to assume that the first day of hearing they already had mistakes. so new people got notified and other people got let off the hook. after that point nobody was taken off the list or put on?

honestly, even if this went smoothly i think it is bs. but the fact that it didnt and requires some 4 passes makes it even more ridiculous.

as for me, i would have appreciated an email that told me after a certain time period that i was not involved in this. all ive gotten is this crazy claim, news about the mistakes, updating lists, some 4 passes. i wasnt named, but i havent had peace of mind this whole time.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

said by Voltage:

i didnt really get your chain of events. so im to assume that the first day of hearing they already had mistakes. so new people got notified and other people got let off the hook. after that point nobody was taken off the list or put on?

honestly, even if this went smoothly i think it is bs. but the fact that it didnt and requires some 4 passes makes it even more ridiculous.

as for me, i would have appreciated an email that told me after a certain time period that i was not involved in this. all ive gotten is this crazy claim, news about the mistakes, updating lists, some 4 passes. i wasnt named, but i havent had peace of mind this whole time.

You are exactly why we modified the customer portal to be able to give a positive answer to all of our customer...

If you go to MyWorld and there's no message there, you now have peace of mind.

We tried to give you that ahead of the first court date but then we found errors at the 11th hour..
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy