All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to serge87

to serge87

Re: Is this some kind of joke?

Nah, I dont follow tech news at all. I used an example of BPON to use actual numbers , the concept applies to ANY architecture, whether its GPON, XPON, DSL or cable.
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87

said by ITALIAN926:

Nah, I dont follow tech news at all. I used an example of BPON to use actual numbers , the concept applies to ANY architecture, whether its GPON, XPON, DSL or cable.

Sorry, but XGPON would NOT be saturated as all 32 users wouldn't be able to max out even if they all subscribed to the 300mb plan and cranked it 100% simultaneously.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Really? And all of a sudden file size has limit. Interesting. XPON wouldnt be limited to 300 Mbps anyway.

Dont you think that stolen files get larger as pipes grow?
serge87
New York

serge87

said by ITALIAN926:

Really? And all of a sudden file size has limit. Interesting. XPON wouldnt be limited to 300 Mbps anyway.

Dont you think that stolen files get larger as pipes grow?

I am not sure I understand what you mean by file size(?)

With XGPON(or 10G-PON) at the current Quantum speed plan levels released just a few months ago, if all 32 users subscribed to the 300Mbps plan it would still leave 640Mbps of unallocated download bandwidth. At 64 users, it would allocate 160Mbps per user if split equally.

However, you are right that there probably will be higher speed plans if XGPON is implemented. Verizon's CEO just recently stated a possible 1Gbps in the works for the future. On my 300Mbps plan, I currently use 60-100 Terabytes per month and would greatly benefit from a 1Gbps line. Thankfully all my use is 100% legal so this anti-piracy program will not affect me.

ITALIAN926

3 edits

ITALIAN926

As the internet world is supplied with bigger pipes, larger file sizes for legit and stolen video will get larger. This includes the video offerings for the MSO's as well to eventually provide 1080p and beyond (for 4k , 8k HDTV's) via IPTV. So I have no idea what kind of file sizes are traded on torrents and such, but I highly doubt its a fully uncompressed Blu-Ray movie.

60-100 Terabytes? WTF? lol

My DVR has a 1 TB hard drive with 65 hours of 1080i HD video , and is HALF full. 60-100 TB's? I just cant comprehend.
serge87
New York

serge87

said by ITALIAN926:

As the internet world is supplied with bigger pipes, larger file sizes for legit and stolen video will get larger. This includes the video offerings for the MSO's as well to eventually provide 1080p and beyond (for 4k , 8k HDTV's) via IPTV. So I have no idea what kind of file sizes are traded on torrents and such, but I highly doubt its a fully uncompressed Blu-Ray movie.

60-100 Terabytes? WTF? lol

My DVR has a 1 TB hard drive with 65 hours of 1080i HD video , and is HALF full. 60-100 TB's? I just cant comprehend.

I get that reaction a lot But I wouldn't be paying $220/month if I wasn't going to use it to its potential. It would be like a soccer mom buying a Ferrari for weekend grocery shopping LOL

I believe 4K resolution would take roughly 20-25Mbps, not much relatively speaking if you consider Verizon's FIOS offerings. Is there any premium TV or movie channel that even streams at true 1080p/24fps? Most are 720p60 or 1080i because the higher quality 1080p/24 stream is seen as inefficient use of limited customer bandwidth.