spc
Search similar:

uniqs

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

3 recommendations

ITALIAN926

Vicious circle

If you dont want to pay for HBO, if you cant afford it, if you dislike their streaming option, DONT WATCH IT.

Tired of the underlying message of endorsing piracy, on almost every headline.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

2 recommendations

Camelot One

MVM

said by ITALIAN926:

Then stop reading them.

The point he is trying to make, over, and over, and over again, is that content companies are DRIVING people to piracy with this kind of crap.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Bullshit ! Stop breaking the damn law. HBO isnt breaking any laws by running their business how they see fit. You cant, and DONT compete with FREE.

"Give us your product for PENNIES or we'll just shoplift it anyway." What kind of crap is that? Seriously.

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up
join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR

2 recommendations

Scatcatpdx to Camelot One

to Camelot One
said by Camelot One:

said by ITALIAN926:

Then stop reading them.

The point he is trying to make, over, and over, and over again, is that content companies are DRIVING people to piracy with this kind of crap.

What you are saying as if the Auto industry jacks up the cost of cars, one is justify to steal a car.

Like other If I do not like the cost or lock up, I do not have to subscribe, I can us alternatives like Netflix wait for the dvd or just read a book.
What needs to happen is more people stop subscribing not more threatening blackmail by piracy.

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to ITALIAN926

MVM

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

You cant, and DONT compete with FREE.

Netflix would seem to prove otherwise.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Wow, free Netflix, can you provide a subscription link for me?
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
I certainly don't endorse piracy but there is no logical reason for HBO to turn down money. If I like HBO's content but I don't feel I should have to first pay $60+ for cable I do NOT want just to pay HBO $15 then I would just do without and deny HBO any money, but others will pirate.

There's a bit of difference between some freeloader pirating HBO because he thinks it should be free and a person pirating HBO who is WILLING to give HBO the SAME money he would give them via a cable subscription, but being denied access because HBO is afraid to embrace the future. Doesn't make it right but I'm certainly more sympathetic.

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Wow, free Netflix, can you provide a subscription link for me?

I know you can read and understand context, so do it.

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to Scatcatpdx

MVM

to Scatcatpdx
No, what I am saying is than when everyone owns a BluRay player and an HDTV, you sell them BluRays. If you insist on only selling crippled VHS, they will look for other ways to obtain BluRay.

ITALIAN926

1 edit

ITALIAN926 to 88615298

to 88615298
Got it. NO Netflix isnt competing with FREE. Netflix is competing with the MSO's product. Big difference.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to Scatcatpdx

to Scatcatpdx
I don't think you can equate grand theft auto to pirating HBO. How about this. Most people wouldn't steal bread. if the bread makers up the cost of bread by 5X for really no reason then I suspect you would see many normally honest people stealing bread. Is it right? No. But you treat people in a way they see as unfair they will justify their actions.

Sure HBO has a right to do whatever they want. However sometimes being right isn't worth the cost.

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

1 recommendation

Camelot One to ITALIAN926

MVM

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Lost me there BF

His point seemed pretty clear to me. He is willing to pay the $15 a month fee for HBO, just not the $60 a month cable subscription just for the ability to pay another $15 for HBO. Sell him HBO directly for $15, and he will buy.

That business model makes perfect sense. You get someone like Google to build a net player that "tunes" the various networks just like a TV, and let people subscribe to the ones they want. The only reason that isn't happening is that the content companies and the cable companies are all intertwined.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Got it. NO Netflix isnt competing with FREE. Netflix is competing with the MSO's. Big difference.

Since Netflix has emerged people pirate less. FACT.

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up
join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR

Scatcatpdx to Camelot One

to Camelot One
Again taking your example if a company sells only Crippled VHS dose not gave the right to knowing buy a bootleg BluRay (by the way will be a crippled VHS in you example or made form a miss-appropriated theater copy of the movie) or shop lift the VHS.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926 to 88615298

to 88615298
Citation?

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to Scatcatpdx

MVM

to Scatcatpdx
said by Scatcatpdx:

Again taking your example if a company sells only Crippled VHS dose not gave the right to knowing buy a bootleg BluRay (by the way will be a crippled VHS in you example or made form a miss-appropriated theater copy of the movie) or shop lift the VHS.

I never suggested it was "right", just that this type of thinking encourages people to do it.
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Citation?

I do
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
All of the reports of studies that I've seen have clearly found that the typical person is happy to pay a fair price for content if the owners of the content would simply make it available. Other reports have indicated that those who "pirate" tend to shell out more money for better quality "legal" versions (which I do tend to believe--lots of people prefer the "try before you buy" approach). All of this hysteria about piracy does nothing but waste time and money and leads to complete and thorough violations of everyone's basic human rights ("You linked to pirated content?! OMG!!! 5 years in jail for you!!!" ...screw that).

Copyright law has become ridiculous and has done more to further "piracy" than hinder it.
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

I certainly don't endorse piracy but there is no logical reason for HBO to turn down money. If I like HBO's content but I don't feel I should have to first pay $60+ for cable I do NOT want just to pay HBO $15 then I would just do without and deny HBO any money, but others will pirate.

There's a bit of difference between some freeloader pirating HBO because he thinks it should be free and a person pirating HBO who is WILLING to give HBO the SAME money he would give them via a cable subscription, but being denied access because HBO is afraid to embrace the future. Doesn't make it right but I'm certainly more sympathetic.

Does HBO survive on those 15$ sub fees alone, or are they broadcasters throwing them some additional bones to keep their business afloat? Safeguarding their content could show the latter would be true.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

1 recommendation

milnoc to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
Netflix is the exception to the rule. They've proven that you CAN successfully compete against free. They make this possible by the sheer ease of access to a wide range of content from a single point of access, and supported on multiple devices.

If Universal wants to sell out to HBO through an exclusivity deal, that's just too bad. People will just use the second most convenient means to access Universal's content if they can't get it from legitimate sources like Netflix.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Oh yea, Im sure the CEO and board of directors sit around all day trying to figure out how to steal away $0 of market-share from the torrent industry. LOL

Hate to tell ya bud, but the people who torrent/steal exclusively arent donating any money to Netflix.
ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

This headline sat around for a half hour before before I decided to shake it up. See, TV isnt the only form of entertainment, this is free and legit to boot.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Citation?

According to a publication of internet research company Sandvine, Netflix is helping to fight piracy. Sandvine researched global internet traffic and noticed that torrent traffic decreases when the traffic generated by Netflix increases.

»www.myce.com/news/netfli ··· c-64722/
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
HBO Encourages piracy the longer they delay the deployment of a separate subscription.

If they can do HBO Go outside the US without a cable sub they can certainly do it inside the US. There is no law stating they cannot. It is this protectist bullshit of legacy business models that harms things.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to slckusr

to slckusr
said by slckusr:

Does HBO survive on those 15$ sub fees alone, or are they broadcasters throwing them some additional bones to keep their business afloat? Safeguarding their content could show the latter would be true.

Actually of the $15 one pays for HBO, HBO actually gets about $5. Selling it to me directly they'd actually get $15. HBO also makes money off of DVD and syndication.
Beans5
join:2005-07-16
united state

Beans5 to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd
I concure, If I could make money seperatly and with a cable sub, I take both, more money, mo money. I would definetly sign up for HBO GO if it was a seperate service.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
I know some of you dodo birds know that HBO and Universal are owned by Comcast and TimeWarner. Now if you think of this as a temporary legal monopoly since our government simply allows this. It's just two buds protecting their turf, and keeping cable artificially relevant.

In the end, I think it is good, because they will just lose as competition takes hold, assuming they don't lobby rules for favoritism, then they deserve to be broken up.

I read some forbes article which compares HBO $15 a month w/ Netflix $15, except that:

1. I don't pay $15, I pay for streaming only which is only $8
2. If I really want a universal movie, then I go off to redbox or stream by paying which is of course what they want.
3. But the more they make me pay 2x (for cable and by the drink), I will simply drop cable and pay by the drink or not at all.
4. It's like they never learned from audio, and they insist repeating the same mistakes. I think they are high off record box office, so they are brazen. Well they should be, until they are not.
5. Just ask your local paper (if you still have one) how that worked out.

Joey1973
@verizon.net

Joey1973 to ITALIAN926

Anon

to ITALIAN926
Oh, yeah... you da man!
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
I want to rent or buy everything legally. However, I have come across quite a bit of content that I can't get legally, so I looking at getting a VPN account to download it over bittorrent anonymously.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to Camelot One

Premium Member

to Camelot One
said by Camelot One:

His point seemed pretty clear to me. He is willing to pay the $15 a month fee for HBO, just not the $60 a month cable subscription just for the ability to pay another $15 for HBO. Sell him HBO directly for $15, and he will buy.

That is an excellent point.

Personally I will NEVER subscribe to a streaming service that also requires me to subscribe to traditional TV (satellite/cable). That completely defeats the purpose of internet streaming in the first place, which is to dump traditional TV in favor of a service that is more portable, flexible, and on-demand.