« Just encourages piracy..
page: 1 · 2 · next
This is a sub-selection from Vicious circle

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to Camelot One

to Camelot One

Re: Vicious circle

Bullshit ! Stop breaking the damn law. HBO isnt breaking any laws by running their business how they see fit. You cant, and DONT compete with FREE.

"Give us your product for PENNIES or we'll just shoplift it anyway." What kind of crap is that? Seriously.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

said by ITALIAN926:

You cant, and DONT compete with FREE.

Netflix would seem to prove otherwise.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Wow, free Netflix, can you provide a subscription link for me?
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by ITALIAN926:

Wow, free Netflix, can you provide a subscription link for me?

I know you can read and understand context, so do it.

ITALIAN926

1 edit

ITALIAN926

Got it. NO Netflix isnt competing with FREE. Netflix is competing with the MSO's product. Big difference.

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

1 recommendation

Camelot One

MVM

said by ITALIAN926:

Lost me there BF

His point seemed pretty clear to me. He is willing to pay the $15 a month fee for HBO, just not the $60 a month cable subscription just for the ability to pay another $15 for HBO. Sell him HBO directly for $15, and he will buy.

That business model makes perfect sense. You get someone like Google to build a net player that "tunes" the various networks just like a TV, and let people subscribe to the ones they want. The only reason that isn't happening is that the content companies and the cable companies are all intertwined.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Got it. NO Netflix isnt competing with FREE. Netflix is competing with the MSO's. Big difference.

Since Netflix has emerged people pirate less. FACT.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Citation?
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr

Premium Member

said by ITALIAN926:

Citation?

I do
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Citation?

According to a publication of internet research company Sandvine, Netflix is helping to fight piracy. Sandvine researched global internet traffic and noticed that torrent traffic decreases when the traffic generated by Netflix increases.

»www.myce.com/news/netfli ··· c-64722/
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
I want to rent or buy everything legally. However, I have come across quite a bit of content that I can't get legally, so I looking at getting a VPN account to download it over bittorrent anonymously.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to Camelot One

Premium Member

to Camelot One
said by Camelot One:

His point seemed pretty clear to me. He is willing to pay the $15 a month fee for HBO, just not the $60 a month cable subscription just for the ability to pay another $15 for HBO. Sell him HBO directly for $15, and he will buy.

That is an excellent point.

Personally I will NEVER subscribe to a streaming service that also requires me to subscribe to traditional TV (satellite/cable). That completely defeats the purpose of internet streaming in the first place, which is to dump traditional TV in favor of a service that is more portable, flexible, and on-demand.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

said by TheMG:

said by Camelot One:

That is an excellent point.

Personally I will NEVER subscribe to a streaming service that also requires me to subscribe to traditional TV (satellite/cable). That completely defeats the purpose of internet streaming in the first place, which is to dump traditional TV in favor of a service that is more portable, flexible, and on-demand.

The funny thing is for HBO, They would not lose any revenue if people cut the cord and bought HBO Go instead. HBO is already a premium channel that people pay around $15 for on top of their cable bill.
crypt0
join:2012-12-22
Edmonton, AB

crypt0 to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Bullshit ! Stop breaking the damn law.

You are the bullshiter.

17 U.S.C. § 107
quote:
the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

LMAO "RESEARCH" used in the context teaching, classroom, and scholarship?. You are RESEARCHING on whether or not you enjoy the movie?

You Pirates are hysterical, truly.

seamore
Premium Member
join:2009-11-02

seamore to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Bullshit ! Stop breaking the damn law. HBO isnt breaking any laws by running their business how they see fit. You cant, and DONT compete with FREE.

"Give us your product for PENNIES or we'll just shoplift it anyway." What kind of crap is that? Seriously.

As i download the most recent Boardwalk Empire

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
Netflix doesn't compete with free? Really? Are you just trolling, or......
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to seamore

to seamore
said by seamore:

said by ITALIAN926:

May I ask why you feel you are entitled to that episode that others PAY for? Are you special or something? Are you above rules?

DWraith
@comcast.net

DWraith to ITALIAN926

Anon

to ITALIAN926
For most it isn't about the money. It is about being able to actually watch what you are paying for.
NOVA_UAV_Guy
Premium Member
join:2012-12-14
Purcellville, VA

NOVA_UAV_Guy to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

While I don't necessarily condone it, pirating an HBO show is not something tantamount to shoplifting. In shoplifting, one steals a physical product - which there are finite quantities of - which economically hurts the store owner who purchased the product for resale.

Those who pirate HBO shows (I'm not one of them, BTW) do little to no harm to HBO, as HBO's final product isn't affected... besides most of the folks who pirate this stuff likely wouldn't have bothered purchasing it in the first place (thus no profit would have been made from them).

Now, this isn't justification for pirating products in the slightest... Just my $0.02 on where the shoplifting analogy that you offered breaks down.

ITALIAN926

1 edit

ITALIAN926

It doesnt break down, because when someone is pirating something, they are less inclined to subscribe to that channel, or buy an album, etc. If everyone and their mother used torrents, dont you think HBO would go out of business?

The shoplifting analogy is fine.

It costs money to produce this media. I would argue its no different than having to pay for water or electricity. Would you bypass your water or electric meter? I guess that wouldnt be classified as stealing either, right? What about going into a cable tap and hooking up coax into your house? Not stealing either right? Its just information.

Theres no justification in breaking these laws. People can cherry-coat them all they want, but in the end, its still illegal.

seamore
Premium Member
join:2009-11-02

seamore to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by seamore:

said by ITALIAN926:

May I ask why you feel you are entitled to that episode that others PAY for? Are you special or something? Are you above rules?

Im special.
Besides, it's not going to put them out of business.
sorry that you dont like hearing this.

torreny69
@rr.com

torreny69 to KrK

Anon

to KrK
Since I got Netflix I have pretty much stopped torrenting tv shows

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to ITALIAN926

MVM

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

It doesnt break down, because when someone is pirating something, they are less inclined to subscribe to that channel, or buy an album, etc. If everyone and their mother used torrents, dont you think HBO would go out of business?

The shoplifting analogy is fine.

It costs money to produce this media. I would argue its no different than having to pay for water or electricity. Would you bypass your water or electric meter? I guess that wouldnt be classified as stealing either, right? What about going into a cable tap and hooking up coax into your house? Not stealing either right? Its just information.

Theres no justification in breaking these laws. People can cherry-coat them all they want, but in the end, its still illegal.

I am not going to argue that piracy is right, or legal, or anything of the sort. But I do find major flaw in your argument. In every example you listed, there is product loss. Whether it be in the form of using electricity or water, there is a physical product that has to be produced PER USE, and is thus used PER USE. If someone shoplifts a CD, that CD is no longer available for purchase. And while not as severe, even in the case of cable theft, the extra tap degrades the signal to a degree, requiring more expense to deliver the product.

There is no such product harm or loss when it comes to someone downloading a TV show. No product is used, or made unavailable for sale to someone else. No additional cost is incurred by the creator if a copy is downloaded. Is it a lost sale? Maybe. But only if the downloader WOULD have paid for the TV show if that was the only way to watch it.

Not that any of that matters to THIS thread, since the issue at hand is HBO refusing to sell a product to those who want to buy it, thus encouraging them to obtain it as a download.

ITALIAN926

1 edit

ITALIAN926

One of my examples is stealing cable TV, how is that any different AT ALL from piracy?
Tapping into a cable tap DOES NOT degrade any signals. There is a specific Db loss outve that connection whether theres a hookup or not.

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

1 edit

Camelot One

MVM

said by ITALIAN926:

One of my examples is stealing cable TV, how is that any different AT ALL from piracy?
Tapping into a cable tap DOES NOT degrade any signals. There is a specific Db loss outve that connection whether theres a hookup or not.

As a matter of fact, it does. The loss is small, but it is still a loss.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to seamore

to seamore
said by seamore:

Im special.
Besides, it's not going to put them out of business.
sorry that you dont like hearing this.

Gee if EVERYONE felt that way they WOULD go out of business. Now I know you're going to say "Well not everyone feels that way and they will pay". Which is my point. You feel like you're special and everyone should pay for YOUR entertainment. If you don't want to pay your are not entitled to the content PERIOD. Get some morals.

ITALIAN926

2 edits

ITALIAN926

They dont have morals, and thats the entire problem. I never thought to consider piracy because aside from being illegal, I know it negatively affects hundreds of thousands, possibly millions of jobs across various industries. They think they're above everyone else, as if they are smart to know about such things, but meanwhile, they are simply a bunch of dummies that dont see the bigger picture. Some of these Einsteins probably pirate religously, negatively impacting their OWN employment, but dont even realize it. Bunch of brains.

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

TechyDad to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926
Actually, Netflix is competing with free. Let's say you want to watch a film online. You can:

A) Find a torrent to download the film. Now you need to wait for it to download and hope it's a good version and not one that someone shot with a shaky camera snuck into a movie theater. You've also got to hope that you don't download a file containing a virus. Finally, you've got to hope that the MPAA doesn't catch wind of your actions (because, thanks to BitTorrent, you shared the file out while you were downloading it).

or

B) You load the movie up on Netflix.

Option A is free but has many obstacles and dangers. Option B requires payment, but not that much ($8.99 a month) and you're pretty sure to get good quality (and no viruses or MPAA lawsuit letters).

So Netflix is competing with free (piracy) and winning. It's a lot easier to subscribe to Netflix than it is to be a pirate. If the content owners really wanted to destroy piracy, they'd put all their content onto Netflix streaming. Yes, a core group of pirates would remain (nothing would ever dissuade them), but most pirates would just go to the easier, less risky Netflix. (As a side benefit for the content owners, they'd get more money.)

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

The problem here is that you are applying logic to idiots. The MPAA companies still believe that getting $20 a movie from 10 people, and bitching about piracy costing them more sales, is somehow better than selling movies to 1000 people for $2 each.

It is the same issue the RIAA went through over $15-$20 CDs to a few people, or 99c tracks to millions.
« Just encourages piracy..
page: 1 · 2 · next
This is a sub-selection from Vicious circle