share rss forum feed
« Just encourages piracy..
This is a sub-selection from Vicious circle

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to ITALIAN926

Re: Vicious circle

I certainly don't endorse piracy but there is no logical reason for HBO to turn down money. If I like HBO's content but I don't feel I should have to first pay $60+ for cable I do NOT want just to pay HBO $15 then I would just do without and deny HBO any money, but others will pirate.

There's a bit of difference between some freeloader pirating HBO because he thinks it should be free and a person pirating HBO who is WILLING to give HBO the SAME money he would give them via a cable subscription, but being denied access because HBO is afraid to embrace the future. Doesn't make it right but I'm certainly more sympathetic.

slckusr
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Charter

said by 88615298:

I certainly don't endorse piracy but there is no logical reason for HBO to turn down money. If I like HBO's content but I don't feel I should have to first pay $60+ for cable I do NOT want just to pay HBO $15 then I would just do without and deny HBO any money, but others will pirate.

There's a bit of difference between some freeloader pirating HBO because he thinks it should be free and a person pirating HBO who is WILLING to give HBO the SAME money he would give them via a cable subscription, but being denied access because HBO is afraid to embrace the future. Doesn't make it right but I'm certainly more sympathetic.

Does HBO survive on those 15$ sub fees alone, or are they broadcasters throwing them some additional bones to keep their business afloat? Safeguarding their content could show the latter would be true.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

said by slckusr:

Does HBO survive on those 15$ sub fees alone, or are they broadcasters throwing them some additional bones to keep their business afloat? Safeguarding their content could show the latter would be true.

Actually of the $15 one pays for HBO, HBO actually gets about $5. Selling it to me directly they'd actually get $15. HBO also makes money off of DVD and syndication.