Search similar:

uniqs

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up
join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR

Scatcatpdx

Rolling the Dice

On Saturday I going to attempt and Windows 8 install on a Intel DP35DP with core 2 dou from an XP system.

I have a lot of hesitation about this, I will be using anew 500 GB disk and reinstalling Windows, since I heard the Update application will not allow me to make an ISO disk.

The worst is I reinstall XP, hold out of a copy of windows 7 when I do my liquidation to Ebay thing. ( I bu stuff at business liquidation sales and resell on eBay or keep it for example bought a full Office 2007 for $10.00 on the last day)

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

1 recommendation

Dustyn

Premium Member

Don't do it!

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up
Portland, OR

1 recommendation

Scatcatpdx

The problem is I going have to got to someday or another. I have XP. After I hard all the flack about how bad Visata was then find most most of criticism was hype when I got a vista laptop. I have trust problem with pundits and tech types. I cannot trust nobody but my own opinion.

amenite
The Soylent - It's People
Premium Member
join:2002-11-21
Ridgewood, NJ

amenite

Premium Member

Do it!

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up
Portland, OR

1 edit

Scatcatpdx

Never mind, xp disk I have is only an upgrade disk I thought its was a full disk, will it looks I off to buy an OEM Win 7 disk. I no trashing my old disk

I found a work a round using Acronis to clone my old disk so far no problem upgrading to Windows 8.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

1 recommendation

Metatron2008

Premium Member

There's no dice roll. Windows 8 is fast, literally loads everything quicker, plays games with more fps (Only around 5, but it's still faster), and it's.. got a start screen. Oh noes!

I don't get why people hyperventilate over a menu being turned into a screen. Just remember the go to the top left and bottom left corners, and the right corner to access the charm bar. That's it.
Sukunai
Premium Member
join:2008-05-07

Sukunai to Scatcatpdx

Premium Member

to Scatcatpdx
Well if you want an opinion of a non geek go with 8.

I loved XP, but it aged, and I loved 7 even more as it was such an easy install.

But updates suck all the fun out of loading an OS.

Because the drivers are eventually wrong, the hardware is eventually a hassle and a newer OS is usually a lot less pain.

The new 'look' of 8 is easy enough to avoid even for a non geek.
But the best part is the install is no different than 7, but without a couple of years of update baggage and aging drivers.

Unless of course you find the post install, update and driver hunt portion to be enjoyable.

Anyone that can't install 8 and avoid all the 8ness of the OS likely shouldn't be installing any OS on a machine to begin with.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus to Scatcatpdx

Premium Member

to Scatcatpdx
I'm contemplating using an upgrade I purchased, but am also considering waiting for taxes to be done first, and possibly go with some newer hardware first.
My current rig has a couple of totally random issues which I'd like to correct first.

As for the software, the metro has no place on my desktop, but I'm glad that "Classic Shell" exists, and does what it does (skips it on startup - you go straight to the regular desktop if you want, and puts in a "normal" start menu if you want).

I'm disappointed about the lack of inclusion of all the file system features that server 2012 has. The OS is otherwise Vista 3.0, by and large, tweaked not to suck.

One very interesting app for Metro, however, is Netflix, for example. Runs like total crap on some machines. Supposedly, the Metro App has no problems in these cases (google AMD Brazos netflix HD) - it's actually BETTER, due to skipping the use of Silverlight. The app seems to be one of the better examples of the use for Metro. Not quite enough to convince me of its real usefulness, but an interesting example.. where Silverlight HD Netflix is flat out unusable on some low end platforms, it works perfectly fine in app form where it can bypass the need for Silverlight.

amenite
Premium Member
Ridgewood, NJ

amenite to Sukunai

Premium Member

to Sukunai
I loved 7 simply for the USB install - it was the first time I had done it and a long way from Windows 3.11 with a few dozen floppy disks 15 minutes from power up to logon screen, it was crazy. This was USB 2.0, dunno if USB 3 would be faster but I would hope so.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

4 edits

skeechan to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
People hyperventilate because Microsoft tried to fix something that wasn't broken and broke it something fierce.

Windows 95, MS kept progman and other legacy apps to cut the learning curve. XP through Win 7 kept the 'classic' theme. Windows 8 as a GUI is an absolute fail on the desktop. They should call it Window 8 given metro doesn't run multiple windows so you are compelled to go back to the very unbroken, very efficient, very familiar desktop...where of course they removed the best feature, the start button which gave fast access to everything.

I needed to change the login so I could get autologin (not having to enter a password). What a frakkin' nightmare. If I didn't happen to know that netplwiz opened that control panel pane, I'd still be looking for it. Settings are spread out across multiple configuration Windows, NOTHING in Windows 8 is intuitive. Everything in Windows 8 takes longer to do. It's also a resource pig. In VM, it is 20% larger than Windows 7...what do I get for that 20% larger footprint?

Yeah, it boots marginally faster but that benefit is absolutely decimated by the destruction of workflow. And it looks like Office 2013, which all the licensing changes to force people to the subscription model will be a fail as well albeit for a different reason.

Windows 7 and Office 2010 will continue to dominate, particularly in the enterprise until MS can force people to use the POS by making Win 7 unavailable.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Well you can hate Windows 8 all you want but if you think Windows 9 is going to go back to the Windoww7/XP type OS you're mistaken. Windows 7 is fine keep using it if you don't want to give 8 a real chance. Just accept that one day MS will no longer support either XP or Windows 7.

Trust me when I first heard about Windows 8 I though it was dumb and when I first downloaded the demo in Feb from last year my first reaction was "WTF is this shit?" but once you get used to it, it is actually better than Windows 7 even if you don't have a touch screen or touch pad.

My biggest gripe would be since there is a learning curve a few tutorials would be nice. And I think that's where the frustration comes in. Also some aps are "metro" some aren't and thus work a bit differently. Of course this is a necessary evil right now. Windows 9 will probably be all "metro" aps

88615298 (banned) to Scatcatpdx

to Scatcatpdx
Also if one isn't sure about 8 just install it on another HDD or another partition. When you start your PC windows 8 will give you a choice to use it or another OS. Right now you can upgrade for $40 until Jan 31st.

Nightshade
Premium Member
join:2002-05-26
Salem, OR

Nightshade to Scatcatpdx

Premium Member

to Scatcatpdx
The flack you hear from Vista is from when it first came out before the service packs. After the updates and service packs Vista was actually pretty decent. But be aware that Vista is essentially a patch job that was successful in the end

I have a rule of thumb when it comes to the Windows OS, skip every other version since 98. So with that said go from XP to 7 (if you can), then wait til 9 comes out and skip 8. But that's not to say 8 is good. I have 8 installed on my laptop and it runs well but I use my laptop as a testbed to see how well the software works before putting it on my desktop. My desktop has 7 and I don't see me upgrading it to 8 as of yet. I play MMOs and use Ventrilo, I found out with 8 that in order for me to talk in vent I have to get out of the game to talk in ventrilo then go back in the game to play. Its a PITA.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
They are vary mistaken windows 9 will not go back to the desktop Microsoft has even put the metro interface on the Xbox360.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

if you think Windows 9 is going to go back to the Windoww7/XP type OS you're mistaken.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Windows sales were down and Corporate adoption is non existent

Corporate sales are Microsofts cash cow as it is linked with its Office software, which by the way has also taken more of a nose dive even with steep discounts.

Microsoft for the first time in recent memory is looking venerable, thanks in large part to the Windows 8.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Nothing wrong with windows 8. It's people's PERCEPTION of it that is wrong. People hate it because they read somewhere they are supposed to hate it.
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

1 recommendation

Rekrul to Metatron2008

to Metatron2008
said by Metatron2008:

I don't get why people hyperventilate over a menu being turned into a screen.

I don't get why Microsoft feels the continual need to pull the rug out from under people. Get them used to using a computer one way, then change things around and confuse them.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

4 edits

1 recommendation

DataRiker to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

People hate it because they read somewhere they are supposed to hate it.

Absolutely false.

People hate it because it doesn't have buttons where they want them, which is the whole point of a UI.

amenite
Premium Member
Ridgewood, NJ

amenite to Nightshade

Premium Member

to Nightshade
I got nailed while buying a laptop in the time period when MS had ceased XP sales and forced OEMs to use Vista. So I had no choice if I wanted recent hardware. In typical MS fashion they backtracked on that after Vista SP 0 turned out to be such a problem, but not until I had been stuck with it. It's evolved to be pretty stable and not bad overall, but it took 2 SPs to get there.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

No it took good drivers. The problem with vista and drivers was that vista was a complete remake of windows, and they delayed it so many times that driver companies did not believe it was coming out when microsoft said.

amenite
Premium Member
Ridgewood, NJ

amenite

Premium Member

I'll compromise and say good drivers *and* two SPs later...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

4 edits

3 recommendations

skeechan to DataRiker

Premium Member

to DataRiker
Exactly. Window 8 isn't merely a taste that needs to be acquired. It is a turd sandwich. And no one was told not to like turd sandwiches...they get it on their own after wasting $40-$70 on it or after seeing it in the store. Microsoft's plan is to remove all the other Windows food (namely Windows 7) from the market so that starving people will finally accept the turd sandwich. Then they will tout the adoption numbers...look people are eating turd sandwiches, that must mean they LOVE them.

Unlike Windows 7, Window 8 is extraordinarily convoluted. I liked the look of Window 8 until I actually tried to use it in my workflow. It is laughable just how bad it really is.

Seriously, full screen aps in metro (or whatever they are calling it this week to get the stink off)? Bouncing users between metro and the desktop with a jarring transition? What if you are like me and run 27-30" displays? Really, I need to use all that real estate to read email or look at the weather? IE full screen...web pages are vertically oriented (like a magazine or newspaper) while desktop panels are horizontal (widescreen)...but under the turd sandwich that is metro I get to view those pages in full-widescreen only, 1/3 of the desktop space wasted (the inefficient use of desktop space overall is a joke); that is unless I want to switch to a completely different GUI...the desktop. IE10 favorites under metro are absolutely worthless. I have over 100 favorites and instead of maintaining their neat folder organization, Microsoft just throws them into a pile. The whole thing is beyond dumb.

Just look at closing an app, something that should take as few user movements as possible as it is a very frequent user task. You have to go to the top of the screen, talk to the hand and then drag it 1440-1600 pixels to the bottom to finally close it? Really? That is better and more intuitive than simply clicking an "X". Going to the corners and edges and pausing for menus? This is an improvement over the task bar or contextual desktop menus? For Microsoft, this extra effort and discontinuity is an improvement I suppose. Well, word to Baldy's Uncle, it isn't. And memorizing a slew of shortcut keys as the workaround for a horribly designed GUI isn't a solution. This is just one of a zillion steps backward Microsoft took with Window 8 on the desktop.

If I wanted a tablet experience, I'd use a tablet. Touch screens on the desktop is a fail overall. Who is going to hold their arm up for that long? Who is going to hold their arm up and get fingerprints all over their screen when they have a mouse that is closer and easier to use? Ergonomics even recommends that monitors be barely at fingertip distance. The whole concept of consumer desktop touch is dumb squared. Microsoft under Balmer and Dumb...birds of a feather.

Someone had mentioned 360...yeah, that is because the 360 is very task specific with very limited input potential (people don't use mice and keyboards with it). Windows Phone 8 is the same thing. And Metro on the 360 is what Sony had already done from day one...side scrolling menus, except Sony's is less convoluted.

It is like 1000 people who never talked to each other designed this, they threw all the different pieces of code in a box and shook it really hard. That is an apt description of the mess that is Window 8. The idiots at Redmond don't understand that different tasks and devices need different interfaces.

Hey Microsoft...you don't put a steering wheel on a bicycle just because a car has one.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

+1 Great Post!!