spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SportFanatic

@wideopenwest.com

CBS Sports Network, other sports offerings

Why isn't this offered as part of the Digital Variety Pak or as a separate package similar to HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, etc.? I understand wanting to keep prices down for their customers across the board and that sports programming is expensive because of license fees, but why aren't there a few more options for adding sports channels like there are for the movie channels?

If I want to make the choice to add CBS Sports Network or the soon-to-be-announced Fox Sports 1 (which likely also won't be offered by WOW) for the monthly fee of $16 that others pay for instance for HBO, shouldn't I be able to do that? Other cable companies have these general sports channels (i.e., not league-specific like MLB Network, NFL Network, NBA TV) available for their customers to chose along with their movie packages, so why not WOW?

grantsa4

join:2007-08-15
Naperville, IL

I think the problem is that CBS has to agree to have it on a special tier package and not part of the regular channels. That is assuming that WOW even wants the channel.

SportFanatic

@wideopenwest.com

Except that's exactly how CBS Sports Network is offered on other cable providers like Time Warner, Comcast, Cox, etc. - it isn't included with the regular channels and you have to pay a premium fee to access it on a special tier package. WOW does have a "sports pack" known as the Digital Variety Pak, but it's seriously lacking with only the Fox College regional channels being of any value (Horse Racing TV and the Outdoor Channel, seriously?)

Compare that to what you can get with TWC: »www.timewarnercable.com/en/resid···ass.html

And yes, I realize that WOW doesn't have the resources that Time Warner does to make all those offerings, but they could have a few more of them. Especially networks that are in direct competition with ESPN for viewership. If WOW wants to remain competitive with these other cable providers, they should want to have these options available to their customers.

grantsa4

Naperville, IL

I do realise that, but WOW isn't any of those big companies and they don't offer channels like those companies. It's very basic what is offered - works for some, not for others. I have been hoping NFL Network and Fox Soccer Channel would come back, but I'm not holding my breath. I realise what I get from WOW and for what I pay, I can't complain.

LordKronos

join:2002-01-02
Dearborn Heights, MI
reply to SportFanatic

I can't say the specific reason, but it may have to do with bandwidth. Each channel that is carried takes up a bit of bandwidth. TV, phone, and internet all compete for the same available bandwidth. So adding a channel takes away from the other 2, and wow needs to decide whether that bandwidth would be more useful being applied to internet/phone or to carry a different cable channel instead.

osravens

join:2011-01-26
Cumberland, MD
reply to SportFanatic

If you want sports, basically go with any provider but WOW.

grantsa4

Naperville, IL

Not necessarily. It all depends on what sports you want and if the channels you can get facilitate your need.

osravens

join:2011-01-26
Cumberland, MD

WOW does not offer NFL Network, NHL Network, MLB Network, NBA TV, Tennis Channel, CBS Sports Network, Fox Soccer Channel, GolTV or beIn Sports.

If you want anything other than ESPN, your local RSN and the Big Ten Network, WOW will not satisfy you. Any other provider will have better offerings.

WOW only provides what sports programming they are contractually forced to provide to carry other networks from ABC/Disney, NBC Universal and FOX.

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI
reply to SportFanatic

You can always get one of the online subscriptions that are available from MLB/MLS/NBA/NHL. I was watching the MLB.TV free Game Of The Day last season on my Roku box. Really good HD PQ for a streaming service. The NHL is offering their shortend season for $49.99 this year.