Search similar:

uniqs
badomen
join:2013-01-11
Toronto, ON

badomen

Upgrading my plan

Hi there
I`m on a DSL 6/0.8 plan with Dry Loop (thus paying an extra $9 on top of my plan) and need to upgrade, but costs are kinda shocking (not monthly one, but activation/modem/speed change/etc). So I`m trying to clarify my thoughts here and maybe you guys could give me a hand:

- Do I have to pay $95 if I move to dsl10 or dsl15? I know some plans will need fiber install (although the "need" is questionable, I think I've seen 15mbps on adsl abroad).
- Do I need to change my modem if I move to dsl10 or dsl15?
- If I pay $95, do I still need to pay speed change?
- If I choose cable, besides buying a new modem, do I still need to pay the speed change fee of $25 and install fee of $65?
- I had cable in the past through Rogers, so everything is installed and set, just disabled. Could it be enabled remotely therefore saving me the technician visit and his $65 fee?
- Is it worthwhile to change to cable? Last time I used cable was 2008, so I really don't remember how service was. Does it throttle? Does it go down more often than dsl?

Any tip is appreciated.
Thanks!
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock

Premium Member

I went from DSL 6 to cable 28/1 and I won't ever look back. Well worth the upgrade costs. When I switched I had to pay for a new modem and install fees. However I did get a prorated refund of the unused portion of my DSL package. I waited to cancel my DSL until cable was installed and working fine. (Installation was flawless for me).

Is your old cable modem on the list of approved modems? Some of the faster speed packages now require docsis 3 modems which wasn't the case in 2008.

An unexpected cost I had to incurr is that my old router couldn't handle speeds above 20 Mbps esp with QOS turned on (required if you have VOIP and are an active user).

TSILiz
Premium Member
join:2012-08-20

TSILiz to badomen

Premium Member

to badomen
- Do I have to pay $95 if I move to dsl10 or dsl15? I know some plans will need fiber install (although the "need" is questionable, I think I've seen 15mbps on adsl abroad).

If you are on dry loop the activation fee is $114.99 because you would have to repay the dry loop activation.

- Do I need to change my modem if I move to dsl10 or dsl15?

It can remain the same modem.

- If I pay $95, do I still need to pay speed change?

No.

- If I choose cable, besides buying a new modem, do I still need to pay the speed change fee of $25 and install fee of $65?

You do not have to pay the speed change fee, the $65 would apply but $20 would be subtracted if you purchased a modem from us.

- I had cable in the past through Rogers, so everything is installed and set, just disabled. Could it be enabled remotely therefore saving me the technician visit and his $65 fee?

A technician visit would be required. You get to choose of a timeframe between 8-11, 11-2, 2-5 and 5-8.

- Is it worthwhile to change to cable? Last time I used cable was 2008, so I really don't remember how service was. Does it throttle? Does it go down more often than dsl?

We do not throttle. Many customers are very happy with the service that they have. Personally, I have been on the 14 meg cable connection for a year without a single issue. We can never guarantee uptime/downtime however because of issues that can arise on our vendors end that are out of our control.

Any other questions please let me know,
Liz M
badomen
join:2013-01-11
Toronto, ON

badomen

Thanks a lot for both answers, cable seems like a good option then.

My main concern with the service was related to differences in terms of privacy, throttling and extreme speed loss on peak times (cable was famous for that back then). If you say those are not any different than DSL today, then I'm fine with it.

(graniterock, I don't have a cable modem anymore, Rogers took it away. Will have to buy a new one anyway. And I was also planning to replace my brave, eternal WRT54G anyway)