share rss forum feed

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to FiReSTaRT

Re: Honda fluids generic or mfr-branded?

Use DOT 4, as it has a higher boiling point. It's better under severe conditions.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to FiReSTaRT

Mind you, some garages will have Honda-branded products. I've even seen them at quick-change places -- they charge extra for them, of course. On the other hand, they should since the others they're buying in much higher volumes.

Another Honda-unique thing is their recommendation on transmission servicing. Honda says "drain and refill" and they don't mean drain ALL of it. They do say to do this more often than other makers. They also insist to NOT "power-flush" the transmission. Try and get a non-Honda shop to drain/refill though. Good luck.... even if you bring the ATF fluid. They'll insist on using their new, expensive, super-duper transmission-flush machine no matter what and assure you it will be fine.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Juggernaut

said by Juggernaut:

Use DOT 4, as it has a higher boiling point. It's better under severe conditions.

I would not recommend this. I have seen issues when dot 4 is used in a vehicle that was originally filled with dot 3.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

Interesting. I've never heard of, or seen a problem using DOT 4. Any specifics vehicles?

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
there

3 different manufacturers that I have seen.

Keep in mind that the number of vehicles that I saw with issues from this was small.
--

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

For reference, can you let us know what they were? Might save someone from some problems.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
reply to FiReSTaRT

The DOT3-->DOT4 one is weird.. I thought 4 was backward-compatible with 3. What are those vehicles?

As for those flushes, I'm not a big believer in them. When I change out the MTF, it'll be a straight up drain-refill.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
there
reply to FiReSTaRT

One was a Honda, one a Lexus, and one a (cough) old Yamaha.
--

FiReSTaRT
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom

said by Cho Baka:

One was a Honda, one a Lexus, and one a (cough) old Yamaha.

Could have been a freak occurrence with the Yami.. I had one that would match the description (91 fizzer) and ran DOT4 in it for years, no issues. Instead of Yamalube, it was Rotella 5w40 or Esso XD-3 0w40 while it was on the market (both diesel synthetics without friction modifiers) and $2-3 Supertech ST-7317 filters that I cleaned 3 Wal Marts out of before running back to our side of the border (Champion elements, no different than the $20 OEM "motorcycle-specific" filters).
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to FiReSTaRT

said by FiReSTaRT:

As for those flushes, I'm not a big believer in them. When I change out the MTF, it'll be a straight up drain-refill.

Most of the MTF I've worked with were more or less completely drained when you changed the MTF. Automatics however hold a considerable amount in the torque converter and other inaccessible places that require multiple manual flushes or a "power flush" to remove it all.

Also, check your owners manual if alternative fluids are acceptable in an emergency. My Accord's manual states that Honda ATF should be used, but Dexron/Merc can be used but should be flushed as soon as reasonably possible.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

I've read that in Honda manuals myself. It goes back to how to remove the fluid ? Honda says NOT to flush them.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

Last time I had a Honda automatic the shop drained, filled drove around, drain and refill - for about 3 times to get most of the fluid out. They did not flush it with a power flusher.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

I've read that in Honda manuals myself. It goes back to how to remove the fluid ? Honda says NOT to flush them.

It depends on what type of "flush" is being performed. Some shops and most consumers will call a flush just a drain and refill (with filter replacement possibly). Other places I've seen (particularly forums, blogs, etc) where a flush is a drain and refill is performed multiple times with short driving periods in between. The short period may only be a short drive through all the gears or just doing it on the lift with a certain procedure like this official Honda ServiceNews states.

What Honda says NOT to do is to power flush it.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

said by cdru:

What Honda says NOT to do is to power flush it.

Sorry, that's what I meant, a "power flush". It seems like this is the standard method nowadays at a lot of shops.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
reply to cdru

said by cdru:

Also, check your owners manual if alternative fluids are acceptable in an emergency. My Accord's manual states that Honda ATF should be used, but Dexron/Merc can be used but should be flushed as soon as reasonably possible.

That's true but it's still an additional hassle to do it right or an additional expense to get it done right eventually.

said by Hall:

Sorry, that's what I meant, a "power flush". It seems like this is the standard method nowadays at a lot of shops.

Just because it's cheaper and easier for the to do it with the machine, doesn't mean that it's the right solution for every car and some of those can be downright harmful.
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to CylonRed

said by CylonRed:

Last time I had a Honda automatic the shop drained, filled drove around, drain and refill - for about 3 times to get most of the fluid out. They did not flush it with a power flusher.

Dealer or independent shop ? I'm not anywhere near "Bloom County" of course , but just curious of the name.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

Indedpendent... Murphy's in Beavercreek.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

The place with the shamrock - we've had this discussion before, now that I recall ! I called them and spoke to them about doing it "the Honda way" and the guy blew it off and said there normal flush/drain/refill/whatever method was fine and what they would do.