Search similar:

uniqs
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212

New psu or gpu first?

Long story short I got a linux box and need a gpu for multiple monitors. But when I built it last summer I derped with the force of 10,000 suns and didn't get an 80+ psu, I got an inland gold series 400 watt psu thats only 76% efficient. Didn't think it would matter that much, I wasn't knowledgeable on psus at the time at all, but now that I've learned the errors of my ways I'm not sure what to do. I'd use the dual monitors to code on, ide in one monitor, resource/documentation for the language in the other.

I'm thinking about a 640(2GB gddr3), but I'm fairly certain my psu could cause problems.

Crash Gordon
Zero Tolerance For Stupid
join:2004-06-08
Smyrna, GA

Crash Gordon

I'd probably get the PSU first, but if you like to gamble you could add the GPU and hope that your current PSU lasts long enough to get a better one and doesn't go up in a *poof* of smoke (or flames) possibly taking other components with it.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to me1212

Premium Member

to me1212
Link the PSU, and the complete specs of the computer, please.

Crash Gordon
Zero Tolerance For Stupid
join:2004-06-08
Smyrna, GA

Crash Gordon to me1212

to me1212
I'm going to guess that this is it:
»www.microcenter.com/prod ··· r_Supply

Not fan of anything by Inland.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO

1 edit

me1212

Yep, thats the one. Never had a problem with their mice and keyboards, but then again those aren't as important as psus are.
me1212

me1212 to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
psu : »www.microcenter.com/prod ··· r_Supply

the cpu is a 1045t, phenom ll x6.

Mobo : »www.microcenter.com/prod ··· herboard

2 x2 GB ram sticks.

The hdd is an only 500GB sata 1 drive I got out of an old computer that had 2 drives we never really used this one.

Thats it, the gpu would ether be a 640 or the amd equivalent, whichever is more energy efficient.

I've been using it since school started in September to code C on, since my college uses linux for their CS department. Never had a problem with it, but not sure what the best thing to do would be tbh.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Replace your PSU asap.

This Corsair bronze-rated 500w PSU is $30 after MIR: »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 17139027
me1212
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212

Thats an amazing deal on a 500W psu. Don't have the money for it right this second, had to buy textbooks, but when I do I shall be getting that.

EDIT: would that be enough to support a 200w gpu? I have a 460ftw right now that I was planning on selling to buy a more energy efficient gpu, but for $30 if that psu is enough I will just keep what I have now and go with it.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Yes, it's more than enough to support your rig with the 460.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

Aweomsauce, I know what I'm doing once I get $50 put away. Thanks for the link man!