dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
join:2011-04-18

Newbie to bburley

to bburley

Re: ARGH! Ubnt radios freezing!

I set mine all to 20db and have never had the freezing issue.... Perhaps a more knowledgeable member can enlighten me on why the hell that would make a difference :P

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

Lutful has made a bit of a comeback and probably has the answer. ubnt told me to do that some time ago and it also worked for me. It was only radios exposed to the wind really for me. Although I'm far from being in the coldest Canadian region.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

This is general info for all radios: higher amplifier power levels always have higher possibility of communication errors. Similarly oscillators running outside temperature specs may introduce errors in CPU/RAM and Ethernet operation.

These failure mechanisms start appearing (randomly) when IC internal temperature falls outside spec. Windchill just brings the internal temperature down more quickly.
bburley
join:2010-04-30
Cold Lake, AB

bburley

In my case the radio link was still running. It was unable to return pings properly or pass data. It could have been the oscillator/clock, but then why should I expect that lowering the power level would help in that situation?
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

said by bburley:

link was still running ... unable to return pings properly or pass data. It could have been the oscillator/clock

If you are sure that your IP network was fine, then it could have been the main oscillator (randomly) going out of spec and affecting multiple clocks on the PCB.
said by bburley:

but then why should I expect that lowering the power level would help in that situation?

As temperature goes down, power amplifier draws more current and becomes a bit more non-linear ... which causes a bit more bit errors. If you lower the PA dBm level, the situation always improves as long as the link margin is good.