spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

justin6128

join:2012-12-17

[FiOS] annoying fios issue

i have fios internet and the last couple of days it will be working fine then all of a sudden stop working then i have to reboot my computer in order to get it going again, i have done maintenance on my computer, ran virus scans, switched virus scans powered down my modem and it still does it does anyone else have this problem? im in the gresham, oregon area

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
What does "stop working" mean, exactly?

Is that computer the only device in your house that can connect to the internet?

Are you doing any torrenting?
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

justin6128

i dont do torrents, stop working means internet works fine then all of a sudden none of my pages load until i reboot my step dad uses my internet through a wireless modem and he has issues also but not as bad as mine

SteveJobs

join:2012-07-18
reply to justin6128
I have the same issue, sorta. I'm with DSL though.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
reply to justin6128
said by justin6128:

i dont do torrents, stop working means internet works fine then all of a sudden none of my pages load until i reboot my step dad uses my internet through a wireless modem and he has issues also but not as bad as mine

If rebooting the computer is the only thing you need to do to get it working again and you don't touch the router or the ONT, then I don't see how this could be a Frontier problem. It really does seem like a problem with your computer, the browser you're using, or possible the web pages you're using.

If you had to reboot the router and/or the ONT to regain Internet access then yeah, it would probably be a Frontier issue...

When it stops working (and what browser are you using?) can you start up a different browser (say Firefox if you're using IE) and see if you can access the internet?
--

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
reply to SteveJobs
said by SteveJobs:

I have the same issue, sorta. I'm with DSL though.

Doesn't seem like your problem is related at all to the OP's. The OP is rebooting their wired computer, not their router or ONT. According to your posts:

Lately we have been having lots of problems with our router, mainly wireless. Our wireless will stop working and we always have to reboot our modem.

So, two different services, two different situations, not sure what the point of your post in this thread was...
--

justin6128

i mainly use firefox but i have also tried google chrome, ie and opera and still have the issue, i thought it might be a frontier issue because i have tried so many different things and nothing works theres probly more that i could tinker with but its beyond my knowledge and i dont want to make it worse. i wanted to try several different things before i posted anywhere about it.

jamesonnorth

join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN
Let's assume it's not the computer (needing OS updates to address networking issues, vulnerabilities, Viruses, Trojans, Spyware or something else malicious).

If you're connected wirelessly, check if you have enough signal. If you're connected through Cat5/Cat6, check the network card or try another one. Sometimes when a network card is going bad, it can jabber, drop frames, and miscommunicate, which could cause the issue. Also, if it's connected via ethernet cable, is it less than 100 meters (328 feet)? If it's longer than that, is made improperly, or runs near sources of EMI, you could have your answer. Avoid running ethernet cable outdoors, in large network cable bundles, spooling excess together, never run the cable near fluorescent lighting or power sources.

My second guess would be a DHCP issue like lease time or DNS. I would extend the DHCP lease time to 7 days or more since you have so few computers on the network. For DNS, try using Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) or OpenDNS. These can help if it's a DNS issue. If you can do it, update the DNS settings in the router. If you don't feel comfortable with this, just update them in the computers. I advise changing to an ISP independent DNS service regardless of whether its the problem or not. They usually work better.

My last guess before exhausting my FiOS knowledge is you have a router issue. If the router itself is bad, some parts of the network could work and others might not work as well or at all. I've seen this happen a few times in the all in one routers that ISPs hand out to customers. You're asking a lot from such a little, underpowered box, and sometimes things just go bad or are faulty from the beginning.

I really doubt that last one though, so check your computer or try another one with the same connection (same cable, same location, etc) and if you still have the same issues, you know it's not the computer and you've shortened your list of problems. Repeat the process until you've found the thing which replacing solves the issue.
--
CompTIA Net+ Network Administrator - I know networks!
Professional Photographer - www.jnphoto.biz - Weddings and Senior Photos
Nice and comfy with Frontier DSL: I can help with your issues!
»speedtest.net/result/2387637868. ··· 7868.png

jenni4um

join:2012-12-10
Henrietta, NY
reply to justin6128
It looks like darcilicious and jamesonnorth both provided really good help with possible causes and fixes. You may want to try calling Frontier's Fios tech support number 877-462-0488. That way if it is something with the Fios hardware they can get you a replacement, they may also be able to assist in tracking down the problem.