join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to Anonymous

Re: [IA] Pace HD DVR

said by Anonymous:

But again not something that I have to deal with.

You should not have to deal with it. OTOH a Tech should not tell customers not to use HDMI.

FWIW Directv does not provide HDMI cables for their equipment. They will give you composite cables for hookup even on their HD boxes. However the Tech will tell you upfront that if you do not use HDMI you will not get a HD picture/DD5.1 audio. He may also try to sell you a HDMI cable for $50 "under the Table".
This makes the Tech a nice profit because you can buy them for under $10 at Amazon...

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
Mediacom actually provides HDMI cables when they have them. For free. I don't recommend using component cable IF you can use HDMI. But with that specific DCT I recommend using component cable because HDMI port either already failed or it will soon.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

DJ
Premium
join:2001-06-13
Opelika, AL
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Knology
reply to Lazy Senior
said by Lazy Senior:

said by Anonymous:

But again not something that I have to deal with.

FWIW Directv does not provide HDMI cables for their equipment. They will give you composite cables for hookup even on their HD boxes. However the Tech will tell you upfront that if you do not use HDMI you will not get a HD picture/DD5.1 audio. He may also try to sell you a HDMI cable for $50 "under the Table".
This makes the Tech a nice profit because you can buy them for under $10 at Amazon...

Wrong, very wrong. DirecTV requires HDMI connection when the customer has the conection for it. The HDMI cables are provided free for all techs, as many as necessary. They are issued to techs in large quantities to ensure they never run out.

If a tech is trying to profit from these cables, it should be reported.

Lazy Senior

join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
said by DJ:

Wrong, very wrong. DirecTV requires HDMI connection when the customer has the conection for it.

The HDMI cables are provided free for all techs

I have had 2 or 3 different HD DTV installs in the last 8 years. I have never been offered a free HDMI cable. My last install 12 months ago I was told by the installer that both HD DVR's (HR24 and HR34) did not come with HDMI cables. I watched the Tech open both (brand new sealed) boxes and there was no HDMI cable included. However the Tech just happened to have some in the truck...

I had my own HDMI cables which the tech used. It might be wrong but it is happening..

DJ
Premium
join:2001-06-13
Opelika, AL
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Knology
said by Lazy Senior:

My last install 12 months ago I was told by the installer that both HD DVR's (HR24 and HR34) did not come with HDMI cables. I watched the Tech open both (brand new sealed) boxes and there was no HDMI cable included. However the Tech just happened to have some in the truck...

I had my own HDMI cables which the tech used. It might be wrong but it is happening..

Correct, the receivers are not packaged with HDMI, neither do they include component or composite cables. Not even a remote control! All of those items are supplied separately so the techs can use them only as needed. A few years ago DirecTV realized the vast amount of new cables and remotes being thrown away because they weren't needed on every job. Thus the reason why everything is packaged separately.

It's not a scam by any means. However if a tech is profiting off something we're supposed to be offering for free, it needs to be reported.