All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut

Anon

[Rant] I hate Future Shop! I hate Canada Post!

So two weeks ago I ordered a new synthesizer from TomLeeMusic.ca out in Vancouver. A week ago I ordered a few MIDI cables from Future Schlock because they had the lowest delivered price.

The keyboard arrived on Thursday via Purolator, no problems there.

The cables, to my surprise, were also shipped from the frigging west coast. Today, according to Canada Post Tracking the cables were successfully delivered to my superbox. HOWEVER, I look in my superbox tonight, NO CABLES, NO KEY, NO PACKAGE, NO NOTHING!!!

I get on the horn with Canada Post, they tell me to contact Future SH*T immediately and let them escalate.

I talk to a csr droid at Future SH*T and she tells me if it's not in by Monday to call them back and then they will wait FIVE BUSINESS DAYS TO ESCALATE~!!!

Meanwhile, I'm out $40 on my Visa, and have to wait til god knows when to get a set of MIDI cables.

I swear if they drag this drama out for another month or so I will never again buy so much as a set of AA batteries from either Future SH*T or their parent company Worst Buy EVER AGAIN.

And while I'm still on the rag about Canada Post, I've been waiting three weeks for a set of insurance papers to arrive from a broker who gave me a better quote. Meanwhile several calls later and no results, my insurance expires in another 8 days.

If I don't get the papers in by monday I'll call them up a THIRD TIME and demand that they courier the paperwork.

Does Canada Post have another labor dispute bug up their ass again or what? Is it contract time again ALREADY?

peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by lugnut :

And while I'm still on the rag about Canada Post, I've been waiting three weeks for a set of insurance papers to arrive from a broker who gave me a better quote. Meanwhile several calls later and no results, my insurance expires in another 8 days.

I get them to email me a confirmation of coverage and print it. If I'm charged with fail to produce it should allow a due diligence defence in court.

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut

Anon

said by peterboro:

said by lugnut :

I get them to email me a confirmation of coverage and print it. If I'm charged with fail to produce it should allow a due diligence defence in court.

My plan is to phone them first thing Monday morning and have the forms and paperwork couriered to me (preferably at their expense) and then pay with Visa by phone, get a transaction confirmation number and two days later fax myself a Visa statement displaying the charge. That should indemnify me from any monkey business.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to lugnut

Premium Member

to lugnut
I can't disagree with you on the FS/BB thing... They have seriously gone downhill on the retail side; my experience online has been better, but very limited. I'd have no problems believing they just didn't give a crap when you called...

As for CP - I'm actually on a roll with them, lately - I've been doing a fair bit of eBay and other online shopping, and between USPS and CP, everything's been smooth as silk... Just yesterday I got a package from Montreal - was shipped Tuesday morning. Can't complain about 3 days for 'regular' small parcel service... Sorry to hear you're having a hard time of it!
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to lugnut

Premium Member

to lugnut
I had a $250 grab box of Christmas presents to give show as delivered from amazon but there was nothing at the door. They told me to wait 5 days and then escalate. 2 days later some guy shows up and says I think this box showed up at our place by mistake.

Fun Fact: FS and BB use the same call centre. My mom got an email about her BB order possibly being duplicated by mistake but they accidentally put the FS number in the email. She phoned 2 times and they couldn't find the original order. On the 3rd try the agent said something about FS had no record of her order. My mom said she was phoning BB. The agent said just a second while I switch to BB and found her order.

bbyfs
@rogers.com

bbyfs

Anon

I'd dare say, watch for a drastic change in the way best buy operates it's brands in Canada in within the next year or two.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to lugnut

Premium Member

to lugnut
Last spring I had a laptop go missing. As soon as I mentioned laptop, they all just assumed, including the Canada Post employees, that it was stolen. They still waited the 5 days.
ZombieBanner
join:2012-11-14
Chatham, ON

ZombieBanner to lugnut

to lugnut
Never buy cables from futureshop or bestbuy.
Cables are marked up over 100%

Get it straight from the manufacture.

»www.monoprice.com/produc ··· ord=midi

They ship fast and cheap.

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq to lugnut

Premium Member

to lugnut
Never had a delivery problem or any problem with FS or BB. I think they had problems with me. Guess I'm in the minority.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to graniterock

Premium Member

to graniterock
said by graniterock:

I had a $250 grab box of Christmas presents to give show as delivered from amazon but there was nothing at the door. They told me to wait 5 days and then escalate. 2 days later some guy shows up and says I think this box showed up at our place by mistake.

Ah, I see London's only illiterate postal employee has been visiting your area as well. You think they could at the very least match the symbols even if they can't read.

Kitlope
join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab

Kitlope to ZombieBanner

to ZombieBanner
Yup. Just picked up 4 6' HDMI cables for a total, with shipping, of $23.90 from Monoprice.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Kitlope:

Yup. Just picked up 4 6' HDMI cables for a total, with shipping, of $23.90 from Monoprice.

Sometimes 123inkcartridges can be cheaper if you have a coupon code and qualify for free shipping, and it's amusing because they sell a lot of the exact same stuff - literally - as monoprice.

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut to ZombieBanner

Anon

to ZombieBanner
said by ZombieBanner:

Get it straight from the manufacture.

»www.monoprice.com/produc ··· ord=midi

They ship fast and cheap.

With free shipping, Future Sh*t had a better price than Monoprice. Plus, I assumed they would have shipped quicker than waiting for a package from the US.

»www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/ ··· 6058en02

Monoprice wanted like an extra $30 in shipping charges. Would have made them too expensive.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
+1 for Monoprice. I ordered a bunch of their basic cheap HDMI cables and a USB adapter (unrelated) and they are all excellent. One of the cables fixed a problem I was having with some low-quality ones (HDMI protocol errors). I also tried a super-cheap cable just for fun and it barely worked at all. Yes, Virginia, HDMI cable quality does make a difference, even though we all know "it's just digital." It probably won't matter 95% of the time, but that 5% will get you.

I picked up a micro-HDMI cable at Canada Computers recently since I couldn't be bothered ordering just one cable from Monoprice. It was one of the generic store brands, and I was surprised to find "Monoprice" right on the molding. It was a ripoff price compared to ordering direct, but still half the price of a similar and probably lower quality cable from Best Buy. I don't mind if some flunky at CC makes a profit repackaging bulk orders from Monoprice -- it's better than selling crap. BTW, I think their cables come from a variety of sources. It was just this particular 6' microHDMI that was Monoprice.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Wolfie00:

Yes, Virginia, HDMI cable quality does make a difference, even though we all know "it's just digital." It probably won't matter 95% of the time, but that 5% will get you.

If you're using 12 bit colour with high bitrate lossless audio it might matter, but for most a 3' HDMI cable for $2 from Dollarama will work just as well - and I know this from experience - as whatever shit Monster is flogging for 25-50 times the price.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

Wolfie00

Premium Member

I agree that for most, in the majority of cases, it doesn't matter. Also agree that Monster is grossly overpriced. You can get the same or better for less than one-tenth the price.

However, I can tell you from experience that in one application I have, cable quality definitely does matter, at least when using 1080p carrying audio (not HD audio or anything special). With cheap cables I would get occasional (maybe once a week) HDMI protocol error screens pop up and everything would stop. Funny you should mention that super-cheap Dollarama cable because I tried that too. That was the one that barely worked at all -- the colours were all off and flickering! With the Monoprice cables, I have not had a single problem, and it's been about two years.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

You had a bad cable, simple as that. I use those Dollarama cables for 1080p60 with 5.1 AC3 audio and have had no issues at all. In fact, I'm using one right now with what I'm watching on my TV. They're fine.

The only time I've ever run into issues with cheap HDMI cables were when trying to use deep colour.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member

Wolfie00

Premium Member

It's entirely possible that it was a bad cable. I never tried it with anything else. But the HDMI errors occurred with two different cables of the same make and type, both very cheap (the kind that are thrown in free with various devices). One would give the errors about once a week, the other might go for a month or more of average viewing. A direct replacement with a Monoprice cable solved the problem permanently.

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut

Anon

Like I said earlier, the Future Schlock cables worked out cheaper than the Monoprice, plus Monoprice didn't have them in the length that I wanted.

On the subject of HDMI cables, I've ordered HDMI cables from Monoprice in the past. Those things are about as flexible as a steel rod. On most of my equipment these days I'm using dollar store HDMI cables simply because the Monoprice ones are too rigid and too difficult to make fit without a hydraulic press brake to bend them

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to ZombieBanner

to ZombieBanner
said by ZombieBanner:

You missed a zero.
Sukunai
Premium Member
join:2008-05-07

Sukunai to lugnut

Premium Member

to lugnut
Must be where I live.

Because with the exception of dealing with clerks in an Axis pharmacy that operate a CP counter inside the store and no real idea of what they are doing (not their fault largely as no one trains them either I suppose, and they likely never stay long enough to get any skill as well), I have found CP in the area is ok, but the couriers that work this region actually have brains.

Well anyone that can read a sign to open door, walk up stairs THEN knock on THAT door, or failing that, leave item in alcove which is all inside MY residence, has my appreciation. And the guys actually remember being to my location, so it appears I am dealing with guys that have been working the area for some time.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to lugnut

Premium Member

to lugnut
said by lugnut :

Like I said earlier, the Future Schlock cables worked out cheaper than the Monoprice, plus Monoprice didn't have them in the length that I wanted.

I bet someone else is going to tell you that Monoprice is cheaper

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut

Anon

said by donoreo:

said by lugnut :

I bet someone else is going to tell you that Monoprice is cheaper

At this point I'm waiting for the discussion to fork over to a comparison of the merits of wire rope vs. case hardened shackles

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs to lugnut

to lugnut
Hate Future shop/Canada Post? Get in line buddy. Its a long list of such companies.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to lugnut

Premium Member

to lugnut
hm well talk to Canada post and make sure they did not put the key into the wrong box. I had a package in the big box where they put stuff and leave a key in your mail box to open it. I opened up the big box with the key in my mail box and she was empty. I just went to the post office told them I think they give me the wrong key.

Lady was nice and give me some BS reason it may have happened when really it was just a mistake and I'm cool with that shit happens. They lift the right key the next day.

So make sure they did not put the key into someone elses mailbox. Did they say no packages come to your area?
TOPDAWG

TOPDAWG to bbyfs

Premium Member

to bbyfs
well being as BB is slowly going bust in the states they'll have to do something. I worked for them once forkers canned my ass for no reason. I hated the sales part as I worked in geek squad it pained me so bad to sell someone fucking over priced crap but I never lied to do it and people would buy the crap.
TOPDAWG

1 edit

TOPDAWG to Kitlope

Premium Member

to Kitlope
HM anything special about them? Dollar store has them for 3 bucks I think it is. Not sure what spec the ones at the dollar store are. I do remember once at BB when working I was talking to a worker and said you know the cheaper cables are as good the super expense ones and he sit there tiring to say no it's not.

I mean it's one thing to say that to a customer you're tiring to sell to but damn homes I'm not buying them and it's funny the workers can get the $80 dollar cables for like under 10 bucks so that says a lot about the price.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

It's about perception, Marketplace did a show on this along with the overpriced accessories when you try to buy a TV

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 2ZSDzlMw

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut to TOPDAWG

Anon

to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

hm well talk to Canada post and make sure they did not put the key into the wrong box. I had a package in the big box where they put stuff and leave a key in your mail box to open it. I opened up the big box with the key in my mail box and she was empty. I just went to the post office told them I think they give me the wrong key.

Lady was nice and give me some BS reason it may have happened when really it was just a mistake and I'm cool with that shit happens. They lift the right key the next day.

So make sure they did not put the key into someone elses mailbox. Did they say no packages come to your area?

I was on the horn with Canada Post as soon as the item was marked delivered and it didn't show in my box. My mail normally doesn't get delivered until after 4 -6 PM these days so they told me to wait til 8 PM and call back if it still didn't show up.

8 PM rolls around and still no package so I called them back and they told me to call Future Sh*t immediately to put in a trace. Then Future Sh*t gives me the 5 business days speech.

I really don't doubt that it was misdelivered and not stolen but rather the key left in a neighbour's box. However, the entire weekend has passed and so far nobody's turned up at my door offering to return it to its rightful owner so I'm left to draw three conclusions.

1) Future Sh*t is SCUM!

2) Canada Post is incompetent!

3) My neighbours are also SCUM!

As for my insurance, I managed to clear that up today by paying with Visa and they faxed me a temporary binder to carry me until the real papers show up.

Eventually I'll sort it all out, but so far it's all causing me far more grief and stress than I'm comfortable dealing with.
lugnut

lugnut

Anon

Well the cables showed up in my superbox 20 minutes ago, a full 76 hours after they were marked as delivered.

1) Future Shop is still SCUM!

2) Canada Post is ridiculously incompetent.

3) I owe my neighbours an apology.

OLG scratch tickets are more reliable than Canada Post tracking