spc
Search similar:

uniqs
hybrid_r
join:2013-01-05
Surrey, BC

hybrid_r

[Cable] Peak hours SUPER slow!

I am paying for a 25 Mbps service from TSI and it NEVER reaches anything close after 6:00pm PST. I am getting ridiculous speeds of about 5-10 Mbps during those hours!

Is anyone experiencing the same thing? It was never this bad when I was with Shaw Cable.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock

Premium Member

It's not a wide spread problem but it does happen at local levels if the neighbourhood is busy. Out of curiousity what kind of modem do you have? Some are better at handling congestion than others.
pants_
join:2011-04-14

pants_ to hybrid_r

to hybrid_r
I'm getting the same thing (Vancouver cable). Service is slowing down to 5-10mbit late afternoon and throughout the evenings. Streaming video from anywhere (YouTube, iTunes) is has become a frustrating experience on Teksavvy. Again.
leifsok
join:2013-01-12
Ottawa, ON

leifsok

I am experiencing significant slowdown in the evening. Typically after 8:00pm and lasting until 10:30 or 11:00. It is a real pain when trying to watch itunes tv shows or movies. Often get buffer times of 1 hour or more. I have noticed this quite regularly over the last week or two and always around the same times.

Ottawa, Ontario
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to hybrid_r

Premium Member

to hybrid_r
If you haven't already, all three of you need to contact TS in the direct forums so that TSI can track it down.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to hybrid_r

Premium Member

to hybrid_r
Blame Rogers, Shaw, Cogeco, Videotron.
They own all the cable infrastructure.
Riplin
join:2002-05-13
canada

Riplin to hybrid_r

to hybrid_r
Welcome to cable
JeanInNepean
join:2012-09-19
Grenoble, FR

JeanInNepean to hybrid_r

to hybrid_r
said by hybrid_r:

I am paying for a 25 Mbps service from TSI and it NEVER reaches anything close after 6:00pm PST.

What you are paying for is "Up to 25Mbps", or whatever package you ordered. Unfortunately, cable is a shared connection. When a lot of users trying to to the internet at once, your bandwidth will likely be reduced.
phlypsyde
join:2011-05-09
Vancouver, BC

phlypsyde to hybrid_r

to hybrid_r
I'm seeing the same results as well. This is definitely a recent congestion issue at peak times. I experience packet loss & lower total bandwidth.

Has anyone heard from Teksavvy on the matter?
Expand your moderator at work
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato to hybrid_r

to hybrid_r

Re: [Cable] Peak hours SUPER slow!

i am on the Dsl side and my speeds do dip on some days but tonight is good and rarely below 10 usally closer to 15 for me

UnixMan0
join:2012-10-14

UnixMan0

Anyone at TEKSAVVY !!!
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to hybrid_r

to hybrid_r
said by hybrid_r:

I am paying for a 25 Mbps service from TSI and it NEVER reaches anything close after 6:00pm PST. I am getting ridiculous speeds of about 5-10 Mbps during those hours!

Is anyone experiencing the same thing? It was never this bad when I was with Shaw Cable.

While I agree you're paying for and should be getting 25 Mbps, I would like to know what application won't work with a 5-10 Mbps connection?

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx

Premium Member

i think it's just the matter of paying the additional $$$ .... quiet honestly we all could get around no problem with a 2-5 meg connection so 5-10 is very good compared to a lot.
UnixMan0

UnixMan0

Unbelievable! These fan boys are tying to focus people on something else but this thread topic. This is the picture that reflects the problem (Peak-time congestion forum thread). It has to be explained by somebody at TekSavvy!!! Is THROTTLING really dead?

Tx
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Tx

Premium Member

said by UnixMan0:

Unbelievable! These fan boys are tying to focus people on something else but this thread topic. This is the picture that reflects the problem (Peak-time congestion forum thread). It has to be explained by somebody at TekSavvy!!! Is THROTTLING really dead?

I take what i said back. That picture sure leaves a lot to suggestion. I had not seen that. That looks like throttling for sure. I didn't follow that thread myself since i'm not experiencing the same problem. Thanks for showing the pic though. Interesting.
UnixMan0

UnixMan0

You are very welcome! Sorry for my aggressive tone but the problem is really annoying.

Tx
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Tx

Premium Member

said by UnixMan0:

You are very welcome! Sorry for my aggressive tone but the problem is really annoying.

I noticed that thread was last september. Is this still an issue? No one updated that thread
UnixMan0

UnixMan0

Yes it's been an issue since that time. There is a lot of threads with the same complaints. Some of them I listed in here
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Tx

to Tx
said by Tx:

i think it's just the matter of paying the additional $$$ .... quiet honestly we all could get around no problem with a 2-5 meg connection so 5-10 is very good compared to a lot.

Speak for yourself. I could not. Otherwise I would be on a 5Mbps connection.

34764170 (banned) to JeanInNepean

to JeanInNepean
said by JeanInNepean:

What you are paying for is "Up to 25Mbps", or whatever package you ordered. Unfortunately, cable is a shared connection. When a lot of users trying to to the internet at once, your bandwidth will likely be reduced.

Everything is a "shared" connection. There is no guarantee of any connection type especially for consumer connectivity to have full bandwidth at any particular time or to any particular destination network.

Tx
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Tx to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

said by Tx:

i think it's just the matter oF paying the additional $$$ .... quiet honestly we all could get around no problem with a 2-5 meg connection so 5-10 is very good compared to a lot.

Speak for yourself. I could not. Otherwise I would be on a 5Mbps connection.

I did say get around aka survive. Not dying if all we had was 5meg.
Not arguing the issue as even in that old thread it was never addressed
UnixMan0

UnixMan0

Guys, it looks like this is an unofficial TekSavvy (but official for other third party ISP) rule. Look at Acanac "DSL packages Overview". This is exactly what we are seeing every evening!

The problem is that TekSavvy never mentioned it. Is it a kind of fraud?
UnixMan0

UnixMan0

I meant Acanac "Peak Hour Rate Limit".
Expand your moderator at work
The Mongoose
join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose to UnixMan0

to UnixMan0

Re: [Cable] Peak hours SUPER slow!

said by UnixMan0:

Guys, it looks like this is an unofficial TekSavvy (but official for other third party ISP) rule. Look at Acanac "DSL packages Overview". This is exactly what we are seeing every evening!

The problem is that TekSavvy never mentioned it. Is it a kind of fraud?

Absolutely not true. TekSavvy has no time-based restrictions on cable usage. For DSL, unlike Acanac, Teksavvy chooses to have a cap on usage from 8AM-2AM rather than a cap on rates.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by The Mongoose:

Absolutely not true. TekSavvy has no time-based restrictions on cable usage. For DSL, unlike Acanac, Teksavvy chooses to have a cap on usage from 8AM-2AM rather than a cap on rates.

They have a cap if you choose the cap.
UnixMan0

UnixMan0

Absolutely true!

Mongoose, how do you know about what you are telling? Are you a TekSavvy owner, employee ...? If you are so informed in TekSavvy business how then can you explain the picture I just pointed to?
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Tx

to Tx
said by Tx:

I did say get around aka survive. Not dying if all we had was 5meg.
Not arguing the issue as even in that old thread it was never addressed

Yes, if I went back to just checking e-mail and light web surfing then sure I could survive on 5Mbps.