uniqs
share rss forum feed

metalhawk

join:2007-02-06
Nepean, ON
reply to FireFlyFini

Re: [Cable] Peak hours SUPER slow!

said by FireFlyFini:

My internet has been unusable since last Friday afternoon. I cannot open a web page, stream music - nothing

St. Laurent POI

First time this has happened to me but I cannot even VPN to work due to slow connection

FireFlyFini

join:2012-12-13
reply to Hans Ottawa
My internet has been unusable since last Friday afternoon. I cannot open a web page, stream music - nothing

St. Laurent POI

First time this has happened to me but I cannot even VPN to work due to slow connection

Hans Ottawa

@teksavvy.com
reply to hybrid_r
I'm at St.Laurent Ottawa area and my ping right now is 203ms. When I tried to use the speedtest.net always came back with ping failed. Currently, I can't even go to youtube at all. For normal browsing is really slow too.

Oh man, I'm expecting some troubles with TSI but not to this extend and also this is my second month with them. So frustrating and also major disappointing. If this kind of troubles are keep repeating I have to find other ISP for sure.

KC108

join:2012-06-20
Markham, ON
reply to hybrid_r
I would really like to know what is going on ... my issues are back. Newkirk POI IIRC.

metalhawk

Nepean, ON
reply to d4m1r
said by d4m1r:

said by metalhawk:

I can barely break 2mbps.

How long has it been happening to you? 3 hours or so here....Can still surf the net, but my work VPN connection is lagging....The latency is the problem:

http://www.pingtest.net/result/76511501.png

Not too sure, since I was watching the Sens' game, but it was fine before the game started at 7:00, and like this after.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to metalhawk
said by metalhawk:

How long has it been happening to you? 3 hours or so here....Can still surf the net, but my work VPN connection is lagging....The latency is the problem:

http://www.pingtest.net/result/76511501.png

--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

metalhawk

Nepean, ON
reply to d4m1r
said by d4m1r:

said by metalhawk:

said by McJugga:

0.9 Mb/s DL atm. Hope something happens soon.

OK, so I'm not the only one. Something VERY wrong on Fallowfield at the moment.

Very....3mbs download and VERY bad latency tonight....

Fallowfield POI...

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to metalhawk
said by metalhawk:

said by McJugga:

Very....3mbs download and VERY bad latency tonight....

Fallowfield POI...
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

metalhawk

Nepean, ON
reply to McJugga
said by McJugga:

McJugga

join:2008-12-30
Nepean, ON
reply to hybrid_r

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
reply to hybrid_r
So these upgrades are to the core TSI network which will impact both DSL and Cable?

evil_gusgus

join:2008-04-14
London, ON
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

Guys, I had a look at the network yesterday and one backhaul link in actually pretty congested. It swings back and forth between various backhaul links due to the POI links being spread out across multiple backhaul links.. I.e. some days one back haul link is perfectly fine and other days its not. But never more than one at a time but sometimes it's extra bad... Like last night. So that means that any POIs that have one or more links on that particular backhaul link on that night will have issues. I also believe that this may be part of what's going on with the YouTube situation since so,e packets are arriving out of sequence and stuff like that as they get spread across multiple links. We have an upgrade due next week that I believe should help and we also have another 10gig link due next week or the week after. With that we will be able to sort this out. Really sorry about this folks.

Thanks for the update Marc, it's much appreciated.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
reply to vsavulian
Guys, I had a look at the network yesterday and one backhaul link in actually pretty congested. It swings back and forth between various backhaul links due to the POI links being spread out across multiple backhaul links.. I.e. some days one back haul link is perfectly fine and other days its not. But never more than one at a time but sometimes it's extra bad... Like last night. So that means that any POIs that have one or more links on that particular backhaul link on that night will have issues. I also believe that this may be part of what's going on with the YouTube situation since so,e packets are arriving out of sequence and stuff like that as they get spread across multiple links. We have an upgrade due next week that I believe should help and we also have another 10gig link due next week or the week after. With that we will be able to sort this out. Really sorry about this folks.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

vsavulian
Premium
join:2002-11-26
ON
reply to quidnunc
I can confirm a peak time increase in latency and reduction in throughput in Richmond Hill. This is limited to my Teksavvy circuit as there are no noticeable issues on the Rogers circuit.

Things got so bad tonight I had to failover all my VoIP and office VPN to the Rogers side.

I really dread calling support - there's no if loop in the script for tech savvy customers - step one is almost always in the lines of 'is your modem plugged in'?!

quidnunc

join:2011-03-03
Richmond Hill, ON
reply to hybrid_r
I guess this is related? I have been getting bad latency in online games. e.g.

traceroute to 64.74.97.131 (64.74.97.131), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 10.126.228.129 (10.126.228.129) 7.184 ms 7.103 ms 7.065 ms
2 67.231.222.65 (67.231.222.65) 8.525 ms 12.347 ms 12.325 ms
3 richmondhill-newkirk1.cable.teksavvy.com (69.165.168.242) 8.417 ms 8.467 ms 9.578 ms
4 richmondhill-newkirk5.cable.teksavvy.com (24.52.255.97) 139.220 ms 139.221 ms 139.193 ms
5 tge11-3.fr4.yyz.llnw.net (208.111.134.241) 116.341 ms 116.346 ms 116.327 ms
6 tge22-4.fr3.ord.llnw.net (69.28.189.137) 123.934 ms 122.952 ms 122.947 ms
7 equinix-ix.ord1.us.voxel.net (206.223.119.107) 121.571 ms 123.871 ms 124.331 ms
8 internap.ord1.us.voxel.net (208.122.29.22) 119.765 ms 120.163 ms 122.295 ms
9 border5.po1-bbnet1.chg.pnap.net (64.94.32.10) 118.573 ms 116.318 ms border5.po2-bbnet2.chg.pnap.net (64.94.32.74) 114.633 ms
10 www.cegamer.com (64.74.97.131) 117.269 ms 117.242 ms 117.579 ms

normally it would (or should) be like 30-60ms to most servers on the east coast

user451

join:2011-01-07
Brampton, ON
reply to mazhurg
DSL in our area was absolutely horrible during peak hours, much worse than anything experienced on cable since then.

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON
Reviews:
·MTS
reply to Riplin
said by Riplin:

Welcome to cable

Hence why I will never use cable for internet (bad memories of both Rodgers and Cogeco here).

I'd rather have an overall smaller *stable* bandwidth on DSL than be at the mercy of the neighbourhood evening rubber band effect.

user451

join:2011-01-07
Brampton, ON
reply to hybrid_r
Has been happening in Brampton on Cable lately as well

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
reply to hybrid_r
as Mark posted, it appears to be an issue with the interconnects, »Time for a stop sell on McNicoll POI?

Anaron

join:2005-01-28
North York, ON
reply to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

I can agree with you on that in some respects. Especially if the lower speeds are consistent on an ongoing basis and with the Direct Forum looking into it for you and you've exhausted all avenues of testing and trouble shooting and are left with less than optimal speed conditions consistently particularly off peak hours especially. Then maybe either see if you can have your billing adjusted to reflect that, or as you suggest, moving onto another provider with hope of some improvement.

Bottom line yeah its up to the individual to decide what they consider acceptable and bearable for their usage and needs.

For the most part, I agree with you; however, the same idea doesn't (or shouldn't) apply to lower speeds (e.g. 18 Mb/s vs. 28 Mb/s). Using the +/- idea for my plan (18 Mb/s) would give me a low-end speed of 8 Mb/s and a high-end speed of 28 Mb/s.

At the moment, I consistently get speeds exceeding 18 Mb/s (ranging from 22 Mb/s to 33 Mb/s). If I ever consistently had speeds as low as 8 Mb/s, I would make a thread about it in the TekSavvy Direct forum. But if I had speeds of 18 Mb/s on a 28 Mb/s plan, then I'd consider that tolerable but only to a certain extent (like during peak hours).
--
Formerly known as section32

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to 34764170
I can agree with you on that in some respects. Especially if the lower speeds are consistent on an ongoing basis and with the Direct Forum looking into it for you and you've exhausted all avenues of testing and trouble shooting and are left with less than optimal speed conditions consistently particularly off peak hours especially. Then maybe either see if you can have your billing adjusted to reflect that, or as you suggest, moving onto another provider with hope of some improvement.

Bottom line yeah its up to the individual to decide what they consider acceptable and bearable for their usage and needs.
--
----|- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -|----
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

Let me clairfy a little.

28Mbps = Ideal
+10Mbps positive
-10Mbps minus

Puts you between 18Mbps on the low end, and 38Mbps on the high end. Thats an acceptable range, to me.
Anything that falls below those ranges might be cause for concern from one degree to another. From the standpoint of a 28Mbps plan limited or not.

18 -- 28 -- 38

Yes, as I said it is up to the customer to decide what they consider acceptable. Anything less than 20Mbps on a 28Mbps connection on a fairly regular basis I would not consider acceptable. I'm a customer that values the higher caps or in my case unlimited as I transfer a lot so I'm a little more flexible in what I would find acceptable for peak speeds but there are customers that do not transfer a lot and they really want the peak speeds and not receiving said speed is not acceptable.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to 34764170
Let me clairfy a little.

28Mbps = Ideal
+10Mbps positive
-10Mbps minus

Puts you between 18Mbps on the low end, and 38Mbps on the high end. Thats an acceptable range, to me.
Anything that falls below those ranges might be cause for concern from one degree to another. From the standpoint of a 28Mbps plan limited or not.

18 -- 28 -- 38
--
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

reply to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

Considering network speed is on an "up to", quantifier.

That's a cover your ass statement from the ISP saying they cannot guarantee anything and nothing more.

said by TwiztedZero:

I personally consider it well within norms within 10Mbps minus or positive from the 28Mbps ideal, as "acceptable", since those numbers will continue to fluctuate through the day and night in the general sense. I'f I'm incorrect in this POV, please feel free to correct me.

It is up to the customer as to what they're willing to consider acceptable. Personally if I was paying for a 28Mbps connection and was seeing 10Mbps most of the time I would question why I'm paying for a 28Mbps connection and lower it to the 18Mbps tier or consider moving to another ISP. Depends on the scenario. If I was consistently seeing even less than that then I would really have an issue with that. I know it isn't TSI's intention for customers to not receive close enough to the full throughput but the unfortunate reality is that there are customers that are not experiencing decent throughput even during non-peak hours for a few different reasons and I'm not necessarily talking about customers using DSL on really long loop lengths.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to hybrid_r
Considering network speed is on an "up to", quantifier.

I personally consider it well within norms within 10Mbps minus or positive from the 28Mbps ideal, as "acceptable", since those numbers will continue to fluctuate through the day and night in the general sense. I'f I'm incorrect in this POV, please feel free to correct me.

Now, given if you're truly in a congested state and receiving say 1Mbps to oh I don't know 5 or 6 Mbps ranges consistently at particularly during peak, then yes you might have a case for either POI or node congestion.

I remember a time when my POI was actually congested, Dupont if you remember those threads from late 2011 September before the new links were rolled out, 1Mbps, 2Mbps were speeds I, and a great many others put up with patiently while awaiting POI Upgrades which eventually did get put in around March of 2012.

What I see in the images above, look reasonable to me at this point in time. Just my two cents nickles.

Though I sympathize, take heart eventually things will right themselves, and the Aggreated POI strategy hopefully will take things like this into account during that rollout.
--
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

koreyb

East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to hybrid_r

@ 658pm... it appears something is up.. normally I'm seeing over 30+ on my 18Mb connection.

I will post later on during the heart of peak

Anaron

North York, ON
reply to koreyb
I'm on the Cable 18 plan (18/0.5) and I just ran these tests with 3 other people using the Internet. 2 out of the 3 are in a Skype call which accounts for the slightly lower-than-normal upload speed. I almost always get 0.48-0.51 Mb/s. These speeds are slightly higher than what I'd normally get though (22-28 Mb/s).

During peak hours, the lowest I've seen is 22 Mb/s which must be my actual speed (e.g. without speed boost). The highest sustained download speed I've seen is 2.8 MB/s which is 22.4 Mb/s.
--

koreyb

East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to hybrid_r

This is at 2:15pm this after noon.

Although higher than 18mb, it's for sure lower than normal. I will test during peek again.

I'm on Yorkmills. It would almost seem we have a system wide issue with the amount of reports of problems on all different pois be it rogers or TSI's issue..

Anaron

North York, ON
reply to rotan
said by rotan:

I find it funny so many of us are having these issues yet nothing has been fixed. This is the reason why I'm moving to a new provider. If you go to the direct support forum you see many posts about this. This is not how service is provided, very disappointed. Tired of having to take down my network to directly connect my modem to see the same results over and over again with no resolve...

You shouldn't be so quick to blame TekSavvy. It could be an issue with Rogers or any other ISP that TekSavvy relies on. It could even be an issue with your network (which obviously isn't the case for you, but it could be for other people).

I made the mistake of blaming TekSavvy too until I bought a new wireless router.
--

rotan

join:2010-10-06
reply to hybrid_r
I find it funny so many of us are having these issues yet nothing has been fixed. This is the reason why I'm moving to a new provider. If you go to the direct support forum you see many posts about this. This is not how service is provided, very disappointed. Tired of having to take down my network to directly connect my modem to see the same results over and over again with no resolve...