TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to 34764170

Re: [Cable] Peak hours SUPER slow!

I can agree with you on that in some respects. Especially if the lower speeds are consistent on an ongoing basis and with the Direct Forum looking into it for you and you've exhausted all avenues of testing and trouble shooting and are left with less than optimal speed conditions consistently particularly off peak hours especially. Then maybe either see if you can have your billing adjusted to reflect that, or as you suggest, moving onto another provider with hope of some improvement.

Bottom line yeah its up to the individual to decide what they consider acceptable and bearable for their usage and needs.
--
----|- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -|----
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to TwiztedZero

said by TwiztedZero:

Let me clairfy a little.

28Mbps = Ideal
+10Mbps positive
-10Mbps minus

Puts you between 18Mbps on the low end, and 38Mbps on the high end. Thats an acceptable range, to me.
Anything that falls below those ranges might be cause for concern from one degree to another. From the standpoint of a 28Mbps plan limited or not.

18 -- 28 -- 38

Yes, as I said it is up to the customer to decide what they consider acceptable. Anything less than 20Mbps on a 28Mbps connection on a fairly regular basis I would not consider acceptable. I'm a customer that values the higher caps or in my case unlimited as I transfer a lot so I'm a little more flexible in what I would find acceptable for peak speeds but there are customers that do not transfer a lot and they really want the peak speeds and not receiving said speed is not acceptable.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to 34764170

Let me clairfy a little.

28Mbps = Ideal
+10Mbps positive
-10Mbps minus

Puts you between 18Mbps on the low end, and 38Mbps on the high end. Thats an acceptable range, to me.
Anything that falls below those ranges might be cause for concern from one degree to another. From the standpoint of a 28Mbps plan limited or not.

18 -- 28 -- 38
--
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

reply to TwiztedZero

said by TwiztedZero:

Considering network speed is on an "up to", quantifier.

That's a cover your ass statement from the ISP saying they cannot guarantee anything and nothing more.

said by TwiztedZero:

I personally consider it well within norms within 10Mbps minus or positive from the 28Mbps ideal, as "acceptable", since those numbers will continue to fluctuate through the day and night in the general sense. I'f I'm incorrect in this POV, please feel free to correct me.

It is up to the customer as to what they're willing to consider acceptable. Personally if I was paying for a 28Mbps connection and was seeing 10Mbps most of the time I would question why I'm paying for a 28Mbps connection and lower it to the 18Mbps tier or consider moving to another ISP. Depends on the scenario. If I was consistently seeing even less than that then I would really have an issue with that. I know it isn't TSI's intention for customers to not receive close enough to the full throughput but the unfortunate reality is that there are customers that are not experiencing decent throughput even during non-peak hours for a few different reasons and I'm not necessarily talking about customers using DSL on really long loop lengths.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to hybrid_r

Considering network speed is on an "up to", quantifier.

I personally consider it well within norms within 10Mbps minus or positive from the 28Mbps ideal, as "acceptable", since those numbers will continue to fluctuate through the day and night in the general sense. I'f I'm incorrect in this POV, please feel free to correct me.

Now, given if you're truly in a congested state and receiving say 1Mbps to oh I don't know 5 or 6 Mbps ranges consistently at particularly during peak, then yes you might have a case for either POI or node congestion.

I remember a time when my POI was actually congested, Dupont if you remember those threads from late 2011 September before the new links were rolled out, 1Mbps, 2Mbps were speeds I, and a great many others put up with patiently while awaiting POI Upgrades which eventually did get put in around March of 2012.

What I see in the images above, look reasonable to me at this point in time. Just my two cents nickles.

Though I sympathize, take heart eventually things will right themselves, and the Aggreated POI strategy hopefully will take things like this into account during that rollout.
--
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to hybrid_r

@ 658pm... it appears something is up.. normally I'm seeing over 30+ on my 18Mb connection.

I will post later on during the heart of peak

Anaron

join:2005-01-28
North York, ON
reply to koreyb

I'm on the Cable 18 plan (18/0.5) and I just ran these tests with 3 other people using the Internet. 2 out of the 3 are in a Skype call which accounts for the slightly lower-than-normal upload speed. I almost always get 0.48-0.51 Mb/s. These speeds are slightly higher than what I'd normally get though (22-28 Mb/s).

During peak hours, the lowest I've seen is 22 Mb/s which must be my actual speed (e.g. without speed boost). The highest sustained download speed I've seen is 2.8 MB/s which is 22.4 Mb/s.
--
Formerly known as section32

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to hybrid_r

This is at 2:15pm this after noon.

Although higher than 18mb, it's for sure lower than normal. I will test during peek again.

I'm on Yorkmills. It would almost seem we have a system wide issue with the amount of reports of problems on all different pois be it rogers or TSI's issue..

Anaron

North York, ON
reply to rotan

said by rotan:

I find it funny so many of us are having these issues yet nothing has been fixed. This is the reason why I'm moving to a new provider. If you go to the direct support forum you see many posts about this. This is not how service is provided, very disappointed. Tired of having to take down my network to directly connect my modem to see the same results over and over again with no resolve...

You shouldn't be so quick to blame TekSavvy. It could be an issue with Rogers or any other ISP that TekSavvy relies on. It could even be an issue with your network (which obviously isn't the case for you, but it could be for other people).

I made the mistake of blaming TekSavvy too until I bought a new wireless router.
--

rotan

join:2010-10-06
reply to hybrid_r

I find it funny so many of us are having these issues yet nothing has been fixed. This is the reason why I'm moving to a new provider. If you go to the direct support forum you see many posts about this. This is not how service is provided, very disappointed. Tired of having to take down my network to directly connect my modem to see the same results over and over again with no resolve...

Stiffy

@teksavvy.com
reply to Anaron

can anyone beat this crap

»www.speedtest.net/result/2469591584.png

Anaron

North York, ON
reply to hybrid_r

said by Stiffy :

I am not in here( dlsreports) very often but funny...as for anything else in the house running wireless...none..just one router
Again next time it starts to lag heavily( this sunday guaranteed) I will test your theory

thanks

It's worth a try. If that doesn't reveal anything, then make a thread here: »TekSavvy Direct

said by TwiztedZero:

said by Anaron:

From command prompt, type the following:
tracert speedtest.teksavvy.com

correction:tracert tsi.teksavvy.com

That's not really a correction because both sites would work. You could even use google.ca or rogers.com.

--

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to Anaron

said by Anaron:

correction:tracert tsi.teksavvy.com

Stiffy

@teksavvy.com
reply to rodjames

I am not in here( dlsreports) very often but funny...as for anything else in the house running wireless...none..just one router
Again next time it starts to lag heavily( this sunday guaranteed) I will test your theory

thanks

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON
reply to hybrid_r

It's actually dslreports website, it's a total bandwidth hog. If you log off here, and close your browser, and stay off dslr for a bit, your bandwidth gets better. Try it!

BrianON

join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Stiffy

said by Stiffy :

but only at night..NEVER during the day?..can wireless congestion be that specific?

Besides other wireless devices there are other things that commonly cause interference around the peak hours as well. Things like cordless phones, baby monitors, and microwave ovens. Bluetooth devices and wireless game controllers opperate in the same bands as well.

TSILiz
Premium
join:2012-08-20
kudos:6
reply to barn01

Hi There,

No known issues- please message us in the direct forum »TekSavvy Direct so we can troubleshoot the issue and get this resolved asap.

Thanks!
Liz
--
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Stiffy

@teksavvy.com
reply to Anaron

one system...meaning just one laptop...on wireless. I will check out speedtest next time is lag heavily with the laptop hooked directly and see if anything changes

jeffreydean1

join:2010-05-31
reply to Anaron

I recently switched from Acanac DSL to Teksavvy Cable. My speeds on weekends and evenings vary WILDLY from 1mbps to 20 according to speedtest.

Evenings and weekends when it seemingly randomly slows down my online game that always worked fine on slow 5mbps max Acanac DSL is now jittery, loses connection, lags, and seems to suffer packet loss. To say I'm underwhelmed would be an understatement.

I knew that peak times meant slower connection, but I didnt realize packet loss, and wildly varying speeds between 1 and 20 mbps minute to minute was a part of that problem.

Anaron

North York, ON
reply to hybrid_r

said by Stiffy :

Just the two of us and one system..system is locked so no leechers in the wind...

What do you mean by system? Wireless router? If so, run a speed test directly from the modem.

said by barn01:

Is there anything wrong with the Ottawa/Kanata cable service?

And I have 28/1 package?

I don't know. Bypass your router by connecting directly to the modem and run a speed test as well as a traceroute.

barn01

join:2013-01-27
Kanata, ON
reply to hybrid_r

Is there anything wrong with the Ottawa/Kanata cable service?

And I have 28/1 package?

Stiffy

@teksavvy.com
reply to Anaron

Just the two of us and one system..system is locked so no leechers in the wind...

Anaron

North York, ON
reply to Stiffy

said by Stiffy :

but only at night..NEVER during the day?..can wireless congestion be that specific?

It depends on the number of people in your house that use the Internet and when they use it. My old D-Link router would work properly during the day when I'm the only person on the network. After 4 PM, more people would use it and that's when things started to slow down. Websites would take longer than usual to load and I would experience latency issues in online games.

I thought it was a congestion issue for Rogers/TekSavvy but in my case, it turned out to be wireless congestion. Once I bought a new ASUS router, everything went back to normal.

It was merely a suggestion though. People don't replace their wireless routers often so it's possible that some people have the same problem I had. The last time I bought a new router was back in 2008.

Stiffy

@teksavvy.com
reply to Anaron

Anaron

North York, ON
reply to hybrid_r

If you're using a wireless router, then try running a speed test directly from the modem. I used to have speed issues and I narrowed it down to wireless congestion. My wireless router wasn't working properly so I got a new one and my speed issues are gone.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
reply to Stiffy

If you are having issues with your DSL service, I'd post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum. The previous posters seem to be location in BC on Cable.

Regards,
Martin
--
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

Stiffy

@teksavvy.com
reply to decx

I have found that the nights are awful..especially Sundays...actually all day on Sundays. I can get pings close to 800ms. Tek asked me to jump through wild hoops to verify things on my end but it is just congestion that I can see although it has become more consistent nightly and on Sundays
I am on DLS 6meg profile

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to hybrid_r

I still ran into some issue earlier this evening but yep it's significantly better now.

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4
reply to hybrid_r

Nice ping.

burfman

join:2003-03-01
v3c0t5
reply to hybrid_r

back in the game, hopefully it holds.

Shaw fixed whatever was wrong. No idea what specific cause was though.