uniqs
share rss forum feed

KC108

join:2012-06-20
Markham, ON
reply to taytong888

Re: [Cable] Peak hours SUPER slow!

said by taytong888:

For those of you guys experiencing "snail" speeds, I am just wondering which type of cable modem you have, DOCSIS 2 or DOCSIS 3?

For me, DOCSIS 3.

burfman

join:2003-03-01
v3c0t5

2 edits
reply to hybrid_r
docsis 2.0 here, sb5101. Works fine off peak, then throttled with lots of packet loss, jitter, and less than 1/2 the reported speeds. Shaw has told teksavvy there is no POI congestion, and modem signals look fine from the ticket i have, and all the teksavvy reps seem to do is get me to run more inane tests that seem to get nothing accomplished other than keeping me busy and off the phone with them. Running ping plotter hooked up to the modem my first 2 hops from the machine are teksavvy hops, and they all provide between 20-30% packet loss during peak times, dunno why shaw would know what is going on with teksavvy equipment before teksavvy does. Very ineffective support sadly, and there's always the threat of being charged a $75 service fee if you get bitchy and try to get things escalated to an actual effective support level. If docsis 2.0 modems are not capable of providing the advertised speeds and network stability during peak times, then they shouldn't be listed under approved modems. Real PITA trying to stick with the good guy's since December.

excerpt from my test journal from this afternoon, and another from the current time as of posting:
(no packet loss results from lack of java)

1:17pm PST

10:15pm PST

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON
reply to hybrid_r
Bell must've upgraded some junk here (in anticipation of the new cell tower gone up, maybe) and my internet, while still slow, is not disgustingly slow during the evenings.

It's even semi-usable all day now.

DSMdude

join:2012-06-30
Kitchener, ON
4th evening in a row Im lucky to hit 10mbps (on 28/1 package). If I didnt have a 4 month old to keep me busy Id be pissed! But one more night of the same and I'll be filing a ticket

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to hybrid_r
It's currently crawling here in BC. In the early morning there's no problem at all.

hybrid_r

join:2013-01-05
Surrey, BC
I have now had my ticket resolved and Shaw says they have found issues that have been repaired. No porblems so far, I'm back to 25mbps. It is 6:00 pm on a Friday night. I'm on DOCSIS 3.0. Will keep testing.

burfman

join:2003-03-01
v3c0t5
reply to hybrid_r
back in the game, hopefully it holds.

Shaw fixed whatever was wrong. No idea what specific cause was though.

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4
reply to hybrid_r
Nice ping.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to hybrid_r
I still ran into some issue earlier this evening but yep it's significantly better now.

Stiffy

@teksavvy.com
I have found that the nights are awful..especially Sundays...actually all day on Sundays. I can get pings close to 800ms. Tek asked me to jump through wild hoops to verify things on my end but it is just congestion that I can see although it has become more consistent nightly and on Sundays
I am on DLS 6meg profile

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
If you are having issues with your DSL service, I'd post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum. The previous posters seem to be location in BC on Cable.

Regards,
Martin
--
TSI Martin (Escalations / E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow us on Twitter : @TekSavvyCSR ; @TekSavvyNetwork

Anaron

join:2005-01-28
North York, ON
reply to hybrid_r
If you're using a wireless router, then try running a speed test directly from the modem. I used to have speed issues and I narrowed it down to wireless congestion. My wireless router wasn't working properly so I got a new one and my speed issues are gone.

Stiffy

@teksavvy.com
but only at night..NEVER during the day?..can wireless congestion be that specific?

Anaron

North York, ON
said by Stiffy :

but only at night..NEVER during the day?..can wireless congestion be that specific?

It depends on the number of people in your house that use the Internet and when they use it. My old D-Link router would work properly during the day when I'm the only person on the network. After 4 PM, more people would use it and that's when things started to slow down. Websites would take longer than usual to load and I would experience latency issues in online games.

I thought it was a congestion issue for Rogers/TekSavvy but in my case, it turned out to be wireless congestion. Once I bought a new ASUS router, everything went back to normal.

It was merely a suggestion though. People don't replace their wireless routers often so it's possible that some people have the same problem I had. The last time I bought a new router was back in 2008.

Stiffy

@teksavvy.com
Just the two of us and one system..system is locked so no leechers in the wind...

barn01

join:2013-01-27
Kanata, ON
reply to hybrid_r
Is there anything wrong with the Ottawa/Kanata cable service?

And I have 28/1 package?

Anaron

North York, ON
reply to hybrid_r
said by Stiffy :

Just the two of us and one system..system is locked so no leechers in the wind...

What do you mean by system? Wireless router? If so, run a speed test directly from the modem.

said by barn01:

Is there anything wrong with the Ottawa/Kanata cable service?

And I have 28/1 package?

I don't know. Bypass your router by connecting directly to the modem and run a speed test as well as a traceroute.

From command prompt, type the following:
tracert speedtest.teksavvy.com

jeffreydean1

join:2010-05-31
I recently switched from Acanac DSL to Teksavvy Cable. My speeds on weekends and evenings vary WILDLY from 1mbps to 20 according to speedtest.

Evenings and weekends when it seemingly randomly slows down my online game that always worked fine on slow 5mbps max Acanac DSL is now jittery, loses connection, lags, and seems to suffer packet loss. To say I'm underwhelmed would be an understatement.

I knew that peak times meant slower connection, but I didnt realize packet loss, and wildly varying speeds between 1 and 20 mbps minute to minute was a part of that problem.

Stiffy

@teksavvy.com
reply to Anaron
one system...meaning just one laptop...on wireless. I will check out speedtest next time is lag heavily with the laptop hooked directly and see if anything changes

TSILiz
Premium
join:2012-08-20
kudos:6
reply to barn01
Hi There,

No known issues- please message us in the direct forum »TekSavvy Direct so we can troubleshoot the issue and get this resolved asap.

Thanks!
Liz
--
TSI Elizabeth (Social Media & E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

"Not all those who wander are lost."

BrianON

join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Stiffy
said by Stiffy :

Besides other wireless devices there are other things that commonly cause interference around the peak hours as well. Things like cordless phones, baby monitors, and microwave ovens. Bluetooth devices and wireless game controllers opperate in the same bands as well.

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON
reply to hybrid_r
It's actually dslreports website, it's a total bandwidth hog. If you log off here, and close your browser, and stay off dslr for a bit, your bandwidth gets better. Try it!

Stiffy

@teksavvy.com
I am not in here( dlsreports) very often but funny...as for anything else in the house running wireless...none..just one router
Again next time it starts to lag heavily( this sunday guaranteed) I will test your theory

thanks

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to Anaron
said by Anaron:

correction:tracert tsi.teksavvy.com

Anaron

North York, ON
reply to hybrid_r
said by Stiffy :

I am not in here( dlsreports) very often but funny...as for anything else in the house running wireless...none..just one router
Again next time it starts to lag heavily( this sunday guaranteed) I will test your theory

thanks

It's worth a try. If that doesn't reveal anything, then make a thread here: »TekSavvy Direct

said by TwiztedZero:

said by Anaron:

correction:tracert tsi.teksavvy.com

That's not really a correction because both sites would work. You could even use google.ca or rogers.com.

--
Formerly known as section32

Stiffy

@teksavvy.com
can anyone beat this crap

»www.speedtest.net/result/2469591584.png

rotan

join:2010-10-06
reply to hybrid_r
I find it funny so many of us are having these issues yet nothing has been fixed. This is the reason why I'm moving to a new provider. If you go to the direct support forum you see many posts about this. This is not how service is provided, very disappointed. Tired of having to take down my network to directly connect my modem to see the same results over and over again with no resolve...

Anaron

North York, ON
said by rotan:

I find it funny so many of us are having these issues yet nothing has been fixed. This is the reason why I'm moving to a new provider. If you go to the direct support forum you see many posts about this. This is not how service is provided, very disappointed. Tired of having to take down my network to directly connect my modem to see the same results over and over again with no resolve...

You shouldn't be so quick to blame TekSavvy. It could be an issue with Rogers or any other ISP that TekSavvy relies on. It could even be an issue with your network (which obviously isn't the case for you, but it could be for other people).

I made the mistake of blaming TekSavvy too until I bought a new wireless router.
--

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to hybrid_r

This is at 2:15pm this after noon.

Although higher than 18mb, it's for sure lower than normal. I will test during peek again.

I'm on Yorkmills. It would almost seem we have a system wide issue with the amount of reports of problems on all different pois be it rogers or TSI's issue..

Anaron

North York, ON
I'm on the Cable 18 plan (18/0.5) and I just ran these tests with 3 other people using the Internet. 2 out of the 3 are in a Skype call which accounts for the slightly lower-than-normal upload speed. I almost always get 0.48-0.51 Mb/s. These speeds are slightly higher than what I'd normally get though (22-28 Mb/s).

During peak hours, the lowest I've seen is 22 Mb/s which must be my actual speed (e.g. without speed boost). The highest sustained download speed I've seen is 2.8 MB/s which is 22.4 Mb/s.
--