share rss forum feed

clevere1
Premium
join:2002-01-06
Vancouver, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

Onkyo SR-605 or Pioneer VSX-820 receiver?

I have an issue I am hoping folks can help me come to a conclusion on...

I have a Onkyo SR-605 receiver. It's been good to me and works quite well. I have it setup for 5.1 but it can do 7.1 when I get the other speakers.

I got from a friend, a Pioneer VSX-820 receiver. It had no HDMI out but I replaced the HDMI board and it works great.

So my questions is, which receiver is better, which one would you keep and why?

Oh, and I have 6 ohm speakers.

For HDMI things, I have my DTV receiver, PS3, and a Wii U. Only my PS3 is connected via HDMI to the receiver. Everything else connects to the back of my TV.
--
Where's th' DAFFY DUCK EXHIBIT??

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by clevere1:

For HDMI things, I have my DTV receiver, PS3, and a Wii U. Only my PS3 is connected via HDMI to the receiver. Everything else connects to the back of my TV.

Regardless of which receiver you go with, why wouldn't you use the receiver for everything instead of the (most likely) less than stellar TV speakers? Doesn't DTV broadcast HD channels with 5.1 audio for one thing?
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

clevere1
Premium
join:2002-01-06
Vancouver, WA
kudos:1

Actually, the TV is a Panasonic Plasma. The speakers are to bad.
I just haven't gotten around to redoing all the connections.
--
Where's th' DAFFY DUCK EXHIBIT??

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
reply to clevere1

The 605 only has 2 x HDMI inputs and only 1.3a, but does 7.1. That leaves you a bit limited. The 820 'should' have 4 x HDMI inputs, does 1.4a, but only 5.1. If I were to select, I'd go with the 4 x 1.4a HDMIs with 5.1 rather than be limited to 2 x 1.3a HDMIs. As darcilicious See Profile stated, pop everything HDMI through your receiver on input and have a single HDMI cable from receiver to TV.

The 7.1 is nice, but I guess I'm not tuned in enough to hear the difference between it and 5.1. Once you tune up your speakers based on where you comfortably sit, I doubt you would too. I'd go with the Pioneer and keep everything going to and out of the receiver.
--
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to clevere1

I'm a bit picky about my receivers, and tend to stick with vintage, but as far as home theatre goes, I would keep the Onkyo since I've found their power rating to be more reasonable than the non-Elite Pioneers.

The reviews I've found on the Onkyo have the downside of:

Downconverts 1080i component video signals to 720p when outputting over HDMI; HDMI video quality converted from analog sources may not satisfy videophiles; Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding cannot be used with current crop of high-definition video players.

The Pioneer also dosen't show the OSD over HDMI, and lacks the ability to convert analogue to digital for video sources.

That's ignoring the fact that the Pioneer is newer, yet has already had something relatively major fail on it.

As far as connections go, only your DTV receiver and PS3 really need to be connected via HDMI, your Wii U won't care if it's connected via component or HDMI. Also, HDMI versions are meaningless, as unless you have high end gear that can handle a 4K resolution, the difference between HDMI 1.3 and 1.4 is negligible.