This is a sub-selection from Rolling the Dice

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up
join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR

1 edit

Scatcatpdx

Re: Rolling the Dice

Never mind, xp disk I have is only an upgrade disk I thought its was a full disk, will it looks I off to buy an OEM Win 7 disk. I no trashing my old disk

I found a work a round using Acronis to clone my old disk so far no problem upgrading to Windows 8.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

1 recommendation

Metatron2008

Premium Member

There's no dice roll. Windows 8 is fast, literally loads everything quicker, plays games with more fps (Only around 5, but it's still faster), and it's.. got a start screen. Oh noes!

I don't get why people hyperventilate over a menu being turned into a screen. Just remember the go to the top left and bottom left corners, and the right corner to access the charm bar. That's it.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

4 edits

skeechan

Premium Member

People hyperventilate because Microsoft tried to fix something that wasn't broken and broke it something fierce.

Windows 95, MS kept progman and other legacy apps to cut the learning curve. XP through Win 7 kept the 'classic' theme. Windows 8 as a GUI is an absolute fail on the desktop. They should call it Window 8 given metro doesn't run multiple windows so you are compelled to go back to the very unbroken, very efficient, very familiar desktop...where of course they removed the best feature, the start button which gave fast access to everything.

I needed to change the login so I could get autologin (not having to enter a password). What a frakkin' nightmare. If I didn't happen to know that netplwiz opened that control panel pane, I'd still be looking for it. Settings are spread out across multiple configuration Windows, NOTHING in Windows 8 is intuitive. Everything in Windows 8 takes longer to do. It's also a resource pig. In VM, it is 20% larger than Windows 7...what do I get for that 20% larger footprint?

Yeah, it boots marginally faster but that benefit is absolutely decimated by the destruction of workflow. And it looks like Office 2013, which all the licensing changes to force people to the subscription model will be a fail as well albeit for a different reason.

Windows 7 and Office 2010 will continue to dominate, particularly in the enterprise until MS can force people to use the POS by making Win 7 unavailable.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Well you can hate Windows 8 all you want but if you think Windows 9 is going to go back to the Windoww7/XP type OS you're mistaken. Windows 7 is fine keep using it if you don't want to give 8 a real chance. Just accept that one day MS will no longer support either XP or Windows 7.

Trust me when I first heard about Windows 8 I though it was dumb and when I first downloaded the demo in Feb from last year my first reaction was "WTF is this shit?" but once you get used to it, it is actually better than Windows 7 even if you don't have a touch screen or touch pad.

My biggest gripe would be since there is a learning curve a few tutorials would be nice. And I think that's where the frustration comes in. Also some aps are "metro" some aren't and thus work a bit differently. Of course this is a necessary evil right now. Windows 9 will probably be all "metro" aps

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89

Premium Member

They are vary mistaken windows 9 will not go back to the desktop Microsoft has even put the metro interface on the Xbox360.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

if you think Windows 9 is going to go back to the Windoww7/XP type OS you're mistaken.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Windows sales were down and Corporate adoption is non existent

Corporate sales are Microsofts cash cow as it is linked with its Office software, which by the way has also taken more of a nose dive even with steep discounts.

Microsoft for the first time in recent memory is looking venerable, thanks in large part to the Windows 8.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Nothing wrong with windows 8. It's people's PERCEPTION of it that is wrong. People hate it because they read somewhere they are supposed to hate it.
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

1 recommendation

Rekrul to Metatron2008

to Metatron2008
said by Metatron2008:

I don't get why people hyperventilate over a menu being turned into a screen.

I don't get why Microsoft feels the continual need to pull the rug out from under people. Get them used to using a computer one way, then change things around and confuse them.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

4 edits

1 recommendation

DataRiker to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

People hate it because they read somewhere they are supposed to hate it.

Absolutely false.

People hate it because it doesn't have buttons where they want them, which is the whole point of a UI.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

4 edits

3 recommendations

skeechan

Premium Member

Exactly. Window 8 isn't merely a taste that needs to be acquired. It is a turd sandwich. And no one was told not to like turd sandwiches...they get it on their own after wasting $40-$70 on it or after seeing it in the store. Microsoft's plan is to remove all the other Windows food (namely Windows 7) from the market so that starving people will finally accept the turd sandwich. Then they will tout the adoption numbers...look people are eating turd sandwiches, that must mean they LOVE them.

Unlike Windows 7, Window 8 is extraordinarily convoluted. I liked the look of Window 8 until I actually tried to use it in my workflow. It is laughable just how bad it really is.

Seriously, full screen aps in metro (or whatever they are calling it this week to get the stink off)? Bouncing users between metro and the desktop with a jarring transition? What if you are like me and run 27-30" displays? Really, I need to use all that real estate to read email or look at the weather? IE full screen...web pages are vertically oriented (like a magazine or newspaper) while desktop panels are horizontal (widescreen)...but under the turd sandwich that is metro I get to view those pages in full-widescreen only, 1/3 of the desktop space wasted (the inefficient use of desktop space overall is a joke); that is unless I want to switch to a completely different GUI...the desktop. IE10 favorites under metro are absolutely worthless. I have over 100 favorites and instead of maintaining their neat folder organization, Microsoft just throws them into a pile. The whole thing is beyond dumb.

Just look at closing an app, something that should take as few user movements as possible as it is a very frequent user task. You have to go to the top of the screen, talk to the hand and then drag it 1440-1600 pixels to the bottom to finally close it? Really? That is better and more intuitive than simply clicking an "X". Going to the corners and edges and pausing for menus? This is an improvement over the task bar or contextual desktop menus? For Microsoft, this extra effort and discontinuity is an improvement I suppose. Well, word to Baldy's Uncle, it isn't. And memorizing a slew of shortcut keys as the workaround for a horribly designed GUI isn't a solution. This is just one of a zillion steps backward Microsoft took with Window 8 on the desktop.

If I wanted a tablet experience, I'd use a tablet. Touch screens on the desktop is a fail overall. Who is going to hold their arm up for that long? Who is going to hold their arm up and get fingerprints all over their screen when they have a mouse that is closer and easier to use? Ergonomics even recommends that monitors be barely at fingertip distance. The whole concept of consumer desktop touch is dumb squared. Microsoft under Balmer and Dumb...birds of a feather.

Someone had mentioned 360...yeah, that is because the 360 is very task specific with very limited input potential (people don't use mice and keyboards with it). Windows Phone 8 is the same thing. And Metro on the 360 is what Sony had already done from day one...side scrolling menus, except Sony's is less convoluted.

It is like 1000 people who never talked to each other designed this, they threw all the different pieces of code in a box and shook it really hard. That is an apt description of the mess that is Window 8. The idiots at Redmond don't understand that different tasks and devices need different interfaces.

Hey Microsoft...you don't put a steering wheel on a bicycle just because a car has one.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

+1 Great Post!!
« 25 megs in 2 yearsjava threat »
This is a sub-selection from Rolling the Dice