how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

StubbyinKCMO

join:2008-11-15
Kansas City, MO

Getting playstation monitor to go above 60hz

As the title says, I got a new Playstation monitor for use on my gaming computer. 3D looks awesome and playstation works great. However, when I try to unlock 60hz on desktop, Windows 7 doesnt let anything above 60hz get used.

It only shows this monitor as PnP Generic. Under Nvidia control panel though, it says SCEI (Sony Computer Entertainment whatever)monitor. But it still wont go above 60.

This monitor is advertised as 240hz and it will do 2 different screens on 3D full screen so it has GOT to be over 120 to do that shouldnt it?

Any thoughts on what I should do to get it above 60? Really REALLY like playing fast paced FPS games and faster frames=life in game.

Thanks for any help or direction to point me in.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

There is no reason to go above 60 Hz refresh rate when using a LCD. Refresh rate is NOT the same in a LCD as a CRT where refresh rate REALLY maters. Higher refresh rate does not mean more FPS...

»reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6792632-1.html

quote:
1. 120Hz on its own doesn't appear to significantly reduce motion blur. This may seem like a bold statement right out of the starting gate, but I can tell you only what I saw. We watched a non-120HZ LCD TV, JVC's LT-47X788, next to those three 120Hz TVs, as well as three plasmas: Pioneer's PDP-5080HD and PRO-FHD1, along with Samsung's FP-T5084. Watching the same HD source material on every TV (it included recorded footage of a Saints-Colts football game and a U.S. Open quarterfinal tennis match), neither I--nor my compatriots--saw anything that made us feel 120Hz was making a real difference. Yes, when you run a fast-moving score ticker on the bottom of the screen, the letters and numbers appear slightly sharper (no blurring around the edges), but it's just not a big deal. The fact is, we haven't had a motion-blur problem with any of the newer 60Hz LCD TVs we've reviewed in recent times. Don't get me wrong--we did see a lot of what you might call blurring in faster-motion scenes, but it was always inherent in the source, so it looked basically the same on all of the TVs, including the plasmas.
A lower response time is FAR more important in a LCD than the refresh rate...
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

StubbyinKCMO

Kansas City, MO
reply to StubbyinKCMO

Thanks for the quick reply Cylon, but I was looking for someone that games as much as I do.

Here is the review from CNET and it also says 240hz refresh rate. If I get even 120hz I would be happy.

»reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/so···017.html

I am not upset that I am only getting 60, but if the monitor is capable of more, and I paid for it ($175 over Craigslist for $400 monitor), then why wouldnt I want to see what it looks like?

After looking around some more it looks like HDMI isnt going to do it, and I MAY need a Dual-Link DVI to do this. My computer and graphics card are capable of more than 120FPS, so it seems like the monitor is holding me back now. From what I gather HDMI is only capable of 120hz at the most and only for TV picture. Which is odd, since HDMI is supposed to be the latest and greatest new thing.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

Same holds true for gaming...

justinsoup
Premium
join:2002-03-18
Dallas, TX
reply to StubbyinKCMO

If there is a GUI menu on the monitor, you might need to switch a setting in there to get it to play in 120hz. Other than that it should be playing in its native resolution. Also the 120 hz is the refresh rate of the monitor. Not the fps of the game you play on it.

StubbyinKCMO

Kansas City, MO

1 edit

Havent checked that yet (GUI on monitor), but if the monitor is locked at 60Hz and the game has Vsync on, then its only going to do 60FPS.

Turning off Vsync has no effect if your still only getting 60FPS because monitor is wasting the extra frames your computer is TRYING to show because it only shows 60FPS no matter what. Even if Vsync is off in game options it cant go any faster than the monitor is refreshing the screen. Thus why 120Hz monitors are becoming the norm for FPS shooters and such.

EDIT* Ok, so I checked the monitor settings and it did NOT allow me to swap the settings to 120hz. But it did allow me to get the monitor to give up the data on what it WAS doing. However after googling some more ideas on how to fix it, it was under Global settings for Nvidia. Adaptive Vsync is on by default. Not anymore its not!

COD:BO2 was running at 120FPS after starting it up to test it. This was according to FRAPS and to the FPS meter built into the game. With Vsync ON in game options. Which was GLORIOUS!! So much smoother. Then the internet wanted to go wacky and bork up my game....LOL! Ping started jumping. For everyone on the server. But I digress. Thanks for the leads guys. Gave me things to think of about how to fix it.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to StubbyinKCMO

Does refresh even mean anything at all on an LCD?

I have always looked at when dealing with computers at least the grey to grey response time.

a 2ms display at 60hz will handle rapid changes in what is on the screen better than an 8ms display at 240hz.

Also I doubt 60fps is any disadvantage even in professional Starcraft levels of gaming.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Kearnstd:

Does refresh even mean anything at all on an LCD?

Short answer yes it does, I'll explain later today when I have a few minutes.

BigBlarg

join:2008-02-10
Longueuil, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to StubbyinKCMO

said by CylonRed:

There is no reason to go above 60 Hz refresh rate when using a LCD. Refresh rate is NOT the same in a LCD as a CRT where refresh rate REALLY maters. Higher refresh rate does not mean more FPS...

I have a dual-monitor setup at home. My main monitor is a Samsung 120 Hz, 2 ms response time. My 2nd monitor is a Viewsonic 60 Hz, 2ms response time. Windows does detect the Samsung as a 120 Hz monitor and let me use it at 120 Hz. When using a 120 Hz source (something as stupid as moving a Window on the screen) I do see a difference compared to 60 Hz. It's not a lot, but it's there.

The website you quoted say they used the recording of a football game... to make a real comparaison, you would have to make sure that recording is actually at 120 img/sec. (It probably was at 30 or 24 img/sec..)

said by StubbyinKCMO:

As the title says, I got a new Playstation monitor for use on my gaming computer. 3D looks awesome and playstation works great. However, when I try to unlock 60hz on desktop, Windows 7 doesnt let anything above 60hz get used.

It could be because your video card won't let you use more than 60 Hz over HDMI. It's the case for mine. 120 Hz works only over a DL-DVI cable.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to StubbyinKCMO

Some PC gamers (maybe even all) that use 120hz monitors, swear by them. Read some reviews when you get some time on some 120hz monitors.

They say after playing on 120hz, they will never go back to 60hz ever again. Because it's so smooth.

In the next few months, I'm looking to purchase a BenQ XL2420T

»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076P···Y0PKZWH0

I'm trying to eliminate screen tearing for good. 120hz is the answer.

And Big Blarg is correct in how you have to run Dual Link DVI to even display in 120hz. It also depends on if your GPU or drivers even support that amount of refresh rate.

StubbyinKCMO

Kansas City, MO
reply to StubbyinKCMO

Thanks for the replies guys, but I got it solved after some more thinking of what CylonRed said.

It does do 120 over HDMI however it has to be HDMI 1.4 to get there. And thankfully my vid card does have 1.4 on it. EVGA GTX560 to be exact.

Right now I am getting 120 solid on COD:BO2 and 200 on TF2 after unlocking the FPS in console tweaks (max_fps 0 for anyone else wants to know).

And its true. Once you see or experience 120 or more refresh, you will NEVER go back. Its so smooth and you dont miss a shot.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Moos

Long Answer,

Response time:
Response time is the time required for a pixel to change from one color to another. These measurements are pretty subjective and are used for marketing more than actual data. grey to grey? black to white to black? There is no standard testing grey to grey response time so you really don't know how it was tested. Most manufacturers are probably reporting the fastest time they could achieve. black to white to black used to be the common way as it was covered under an ISO standard, but no one seems to do that anymore. It should be noted that response times will vary for each color change of a pixel, so it would be most helpful to know the largest response time the monitor could experience, not the fastest.

Refresh Rate:
For LCD monitors the refresh rate is the number of times per second that the image is redrawn from the frame buffer (or refreshed).

Regarding the question "does refresh mean anything on an LCD?", yes it does. It's the amount of times per second at which the monitor receives image data from the video card frame buffer and displays it on the screen. This can be pretty handy for players with high-end cards that game a lot. Imagine if the refresh rate was 1hz. 1 image per second, so yes it definitely matters. Refresh rate and response time work together to make an image look good. For example, a display with an actual response time of 8ms will have a refresh rate lower than 125hz if it was designed properly. If its over 125 Hz then the pixels will not be able to change color fast enough before the screen is redrawn. Results will be ghosting and/or other weird looking artifacts.. That is why a 2ms display at 60hz would handle rapid changes better than an 8ms display at 240hz. The second display was not designed correctly and will have ghosting..(we call those Walmart displays) In contrast a 2 ms display at 60hz will not handle rapid changes better than a 8 ms display at 120hz.. This is neglecting all other variables of course (input lag) And i'm only talking gaming monitors here not TV's. They do some crazy marketing stuff to get people to buy a 240hz tv. Dont' play online shooter PC games on a TV and expect to be competitive.

Is 120hz better than 60hz?
It really depends on what the user is doing with the monitor and what games they are playing and if he has the equipment to run it. Fast twitch games will show the biggest improvements. Anything with a lot of fast motion or require very quick responses (ie, reaction, not think about what to do and then click). I would not think you would see a huge bonus in starcraft 2 unless you are very fast with the cursor, it would be smoother.

It also depends a lot on the users abilities and reaction times. Face it, some people are just slower. To someone who games competitively they will be able to tell a difference. A lot of competitive gamers still use CRT monitors because they are faster than LCD. (input lag)

The bottom line is a 120hz monitor with a response of lower than 8ms will be providing the user with twice the amount of data in the same time period and at a faster rate. I have personally gamed on both 60hz and 120hz and I can tell a difference. I'm not saying 60hz is terrible, it's more than adequate. But it's hard to deny that there is not a slight advantage on 120hz. the game's are just smoother and more pleasant to watch.

And for stubby, if your playing online shooters, shut off V-sync! It probably does not matter for blackops2 because that game is a lag-fest anyway, but v-sync creates input lag.

BigBlarg

join:2008-02-10
Longueuil, QC
reply to StubbyinKCMO

Also, I would like to add I never tought 120 Hz was noticeable before trying it. (At first I bought the monitor for 3D gaming..)

StubbyinKCMO

Kansas City, MO
reply to Moos

once I found that adaptive Vsync option and it being the cause of me only getting 60hz refresh, I wish I could take it out in the street and beat it to death with a baseball bat. Why they default that to ON is beyond me.

But yes, you hit it right on the head. 60 WORKS, but 120 is godlike. Its like you dont have to wait for the dude to pop around the corner anymore. You just KNOW hes there. Especially if you have SHADOWS on....LOL!

"oh hello der! Let me show you the bullets coming out of my gun."