All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi

Nova Scotia taxpayers forced to subsidize Tim Hortons losses

Question: How do you lose money operating a Tim Hortons franchise?

Answer: Let the government operate it.

CTV News has learned that taxpayers in Nova Scotia are covering the losses for four Tim Hortons' locations at the Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre to the tune of $1.4 million.

»ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/ ··· 381.html
jaberi

jaberi

what's the real deal here, is it the overpaying of employees, or do they really not sell enough?
i bet some canteen guy can make ends meet if tim's was to shut down....

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium Member
join:2009-07-09
Waterloo, ON

BGB

Premium Member

It's because the "tim hortons" employees are government union employees, and making double or tripple what a normal tim hortons employee makes plus full benefits. It's the same thing at the hospitals back home, and they had a uproar about it when it became public.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
Same old song, it just seems that NS management is much more incompetent.
»news.nationalpost.com/20 ··· -a-year/

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX to BGB

Premium Member

to BGB
said by BGB:

It's because the "tim hortons" employees are government union employees, and making double or tripple what a normal tim hortons employee makes plus full benefits. It's the same thing at the hospitals back home, and they had a uproar about it when it became public.

that would be correct, except they don't make double-triple working at the tims. the second part of it, is that tims itself is not out any money, they don't provide anything but the "goods" that supply it and the name, other then that the company has no involvement.

also they have a "healty food initiative" going on, which means the biggest sellers have been removed(doughnuts, timbits, ect).
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned) to jaberi

to jaberi
This was one of the arguments used when the NS government sold Nova Scotia Power Corp to private interests...

I suppose it could be used as a reason for the Feds to sell the CBC as well...

Tim Hortons in Newfoundland hospitals is not doing much better...

»news.nationalpost.com/20 ··· critics/
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to BonezX

Premium Member

to BonezX
said by BonezX:

also they have a "healty food initiative" going on, which means the biggest sellers have been removed(doughnuts, timbits, ect).

This policy kind of bugs me. People who are in a hospital generally aren't there to have a good time. You're ailed up with something or, worst case, on your deathbed. If they want a donut or some other unhealthy treat, why deny them the pleasure?

XoX
join:2003-08-19
Qc, Canada

XoX

said by mr weather:

said by BonezX:

This policy kind of bugs me. People who are in a hospital generally aren't there to have a good time. You're ailed up with something or, worst case, on your deathbed. If they want a donut or some other unhealthy treat, why deny them the pleasure?

same here... i mean i only go there for a dozen of donuts once in a while so if they remove that i have no reason to go... even if it's not often..
dragonfly5
join:2012-09-04

dragonfly5 to jaberi

to jaberi
Tim Horton's is a job for teenagers and early 20-somethings. Employ them and pay accordingly. Unions at a coffee shop has got to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, it isn't meant to be a career.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

said by dragonfly5:

Tim Horton's is a job for teenagers and early 20-somethings. Employ them and pay accordingly. Unions at a coffee shop has got to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, it isn't meant to be a career.

they aren't timhortons employees, they are hospital employees that work in the kitchen/cafeteria, Tims just provides the goods to the sites(sale items), they don't manage or pay any of the employees.
dragonfly5
join:2012-09-04

dragonfly5

That's nuts...

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

said by dragonfly5:

That's nuts...

unionized work site.
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi to BonezX

to BonezX
i don't get it, do they have to be hospital employees?....and why are the taxpayers going along with this?....it's ludicrous, to be subsidizing some commerce that is not making money...why can't there be a solution to this?

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

they do, due to the cafeteria staff being more or less hired by the hospital, that's more or less the rules.

Imagine the shit show if they tried to get rid of all the staff and replace them with lower paid workers ?

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
Why do they even need it to be a Tim's? What's wrong with just a plain cafeteria?

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

said by ekster:

Why do they even need it to be a Tim's? What's wrong with just a plain cafeteria?

branding, people want tims, not coffee, simple as that.

Also that would solve nothing, still have people working behind the counter slinging coffee, as i said, tims only provides products, everything else is hospital run.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to dragonfly5

Premium Member

to dragonfly5
said by dragonfly5:

Guess you haven't been in a timmies lately, not many teens, 20 somethings working there.
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to BonezX

Premium Member

to BonezX
Yes, I'm sure the hospital owns the franchise.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

Yes, I'm sure the hospital owns the franchise.

slightly more complicated, but i can't elaborate more then that.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to ekster

Premium Member

to ekster
said by ekster:

The costs would be the same in either case. Tims or cafeteria, those unionised workers are still going to be paid the same.

The hospital probably opened a Tims for a couple of good reasons.

1. Healthy customers staying with loved ones asked for a Tims onsite so that they didn't have to stray far for their fix.

2. The hospital was probably also responding to the number of trips off the hospital campus and wanted to keep loved ones close by.

3. The staff probably requested a Tims so they could get their fix too and not have to leave campus.

Finally, is there a hospital in Canada which posts a profit? I'll bet even most onsite hospital parking facilities don't generate a profit.