how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pacpac

join:2011-12-18
kudos:1
reply to HELLFIRE

Re: RV042 - giving up - recommendation for a quality dual WAN?

I am about to preliminary conclude the current set-up is now working fine. In summary, two principle issues were dealt with in order to achieve sustained internet connectivity with the RV042 and 2 cable connections from the same ISP; a) set up so the RV042 WAN ports operated through different gateways and b) ensure quality power supply to relevant devices.

On Monday I installed a CDP 750Va UPS and connected modems, routers, switch, ATA and phones. This UPS appears to be adequate for this particular purpose.

See two screenshots attached indicating the RV042's proper load balancing feature; one (1) where a streaming TV station is on and I start a second streaming video, and the second (2) where one streaming TV station is on and I start a speed test. The 'Break point download' mark indicates max download speed on one connection.

Thank you all for great input!

hardly
Premium
join:2004-02-10
USA
reply to pacpac

Re: RV042 - resolved - recommendation for a quality dual WAN?

Maybe it is time to edit the title from 'giving up' to 'resolved'.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by hardly:

Maybe it is time to edit the title from 'giving up' to 'resolved'.

It is way too late for the OP to be able to do that.

»Site FAQ »Can't edit your post?

After you submit a post, you have a 5-day period within which you can edit your post by clicking on the "edit" link.

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

hardly
Premium
join:2004-02-10
USA
Sorry, mea culpa.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to pacpac

Re: RV042 - giving up - recommendation for a quality dual WAN?

Fingers crossed and sacrifices to the appropriate Gods of IT lined up yet pacpac See Profile?

Just as a test, have you put all devices onto the UPS and see how long it can carry the load?
IIRC, under a full load 750Va can do a few minutes, but not that long.

Regards

pacpac

Thanks.

Devices connected to the UPS (model CDP G-UPR 750Va):

1) Motorola SB5100 cable modem
2) Motorola SB5101 cable modem
3) Linksys WRT320N router
4) Linksys WRT54G2 router w/dd-wrt firmware *)
5) Linksys RV042 router
6) TP-Link TL-SF1005D switch
7) Linksys PAP2T ATA
8) Panasonic KX-TG4012 wireless phone; base station and 2 handsets

*) In order to not have issues with DNS I unticked 'Use DNSMasq for DNS' and 'Use DNSMasq for DHCP', and disable 'DNSMasq'.

The devices are plugged into two surge protectors connected to 2 outlets on the UPS.

Test this morning (no phone calls made during test):

7:01 - Mains cut
7:30 - Audible/visual warning on the UPS (fast movement on beep signal and indicator light)
7:32 - Devices shut-down

So, about 30 mins uptime on the UPS, which is adequate. I have had one or two power failures for more than 30 minutes over the last 7-8 years. As indicated earlier, I am experiencing outages from a few seconds to 5-15 mins relatively frequent. I believe this UPS will do the job. Thinking of getting an APC 1500/2000Va as a second UPS and connect one Windows machine and 2 LED screens.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to pacpac
Thought there was a couple higher draw devices in that mix... but if it holds up that long, you should be in
a good place. Here's hoping pacpac!

Regards

pacpac

Under normal operation (no protocol binding set) does the RV042 give priority to any one of the two WAN ports when the PC is accessing Internet, or is it completely random of which WAN port RV042 chooses to use?

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by pacpac:

Under normal operation (no protocol binding set) does the RV042 give priority to any one of the two WAN ports when the PC is accessing Internet, or is it completely random of which WAN port RV042 chooses to use?

Yes, it pretty much is random if you have the bandwidth for each port setup the same. I have attached a pdf file that I saved from an article explaining the load balancing algorithms used by the RVxxx series routers. I can't just post the URL because Cisco removed all of the on-line support for the hardware version 1 and 2 devices (and for that reason, there are links in this PDF file won't work anymore either).

downloadrv-dual-mult···e-00.pdf 60821 bytes

I am attaching another PDF file explaining how to enable telnet access to the RVxxx series routers, since telnet access is disabled by default, and is not documented in the user manual. You may or may not have a use for telnet access, but I found it occasionally useful for my RV082 before I had to retire it because it did not support IPv6.

downloadEnabling Tel···V016.pdf 90848 bytes

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

pacpac

Thanks, very interesting read indeed.