how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MomOfARocker

join:2009-06-07
Canada

Mozilla Firefox is blocking Java Add-On

Mozilla is now blocking the Java Add-On for our protection. If you or someone you know enjoyed playing games at Pogo.com ... you are out of luck till Java comes out with a more secure update. From Mozilla:

Java Plugin 7 update 10 and lower (click-to-play), Windows has been blocked for your protection.

Why was it blocked?
The Java plugin is causing significant security problems. All users are strongly recommended to keep the plugin disabled unless necessary.
Who is affected?
All users who have these versions of the plugin installed in Firefox 17 and above.
What does this mean?

The problematic add-on or plugin will be automatically disabled and no longer usable.
When Mozilla becomes aware of add-ons, plugins, or other third-party software that seriously compromises Firefox security, stability, or performance and meets certain criteria, the software may be blocked from general use. For more information, please read this support article.

On the other hand if you use Internet Explorer the games are still playable there. Not sure about other browsers as Firefox is my main browser and IE is the only other browser I have installed.

And, of course, you can't verify that Java is up to date (even though I know mine is) at »java.com/en/download/installed.jsp because the Add-on is blocked at least through Firefox. Ugh!

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

»Java is still exploitable and is likely going to remain so..

»[POLL] Do you use Java; disable it; or uninstall it ?

»All versions of the Java plugin are blocked
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

MomOfARocker

Canada

Yes it says Java Plugin 7 update 10 and lower

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to MomOfARocker

They're not the only ones....

Apple....
»thenextweb.com/apple/2013/01/11/···c-users/

Federal government...
»www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.as···d=356669

If you insist on possibly exposing yourself to exploits in the wild that's your choice, other companies would rather protect you than let you be infected from a known source.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

MomOfARocker

Canada
reply to StuartMW

Oh I see you are pointing out someone else posted about this ... my bad!

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to MomOfARocker

said by MomOfARocker:

Mozilla is now blocking the Java Add-On for our protection. If you or someone you know enjoyed playing games at Pogo.com ... you are out of luck till Java comes out with a more secure update

momofrocker, i think you are wrong when you say that firefox blocks java from running.. it isn't that firefox blocks java from running but that it blocks it from running automatically.. you still can manually select to allow java to run, at particular websites, if you want it to run at those websites..

firefox 18 has a feature called "click to play" that blocks some plugins, like java, from running automatically but, again, you still can manually select to allow java to run at particular websites, if you want it to..

»blog.mozilla.org/security/2013/0···ability/

»blog.mozilla.org/addons/2013/01/···ability/

additionally, in firefox's configuraton-settings, i imagine that the "click to play" security-feature can be disabled if you want your computer to be vulnerable to malicious exploit-kits..
Expand your moderator at work