share rss forum feed

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
reply to BlitzenZeus

Re: [WIN8] Windows 8 with Secure Boot enabled may no longer boot

I'm not sure I understand why, when a change is made that would hopefully notify someone something very nasty has potentially happened to your computer, you are greeted with "hanging at a black screen, Windows crashing with a blue screen, or BIOS error messages to change your settings."

Couldn't they just pop up a message that says something like: "System changes have occurred which have disabled your computer. If you have installed new hardware or a BIOS update, please turn off Secure Boot in your BIOS, save your changes and reboot your computer. Otherwise please run an offline security scan using a tool such as Windows Defender Offline to be sure your computer has not become infected with malware?

I could be totally wrong, but it appears as if MS hasn't finished implementing the technology in a way that is useful and that it might be overly aggressive. Malware infections that could be potentially detected using Secure Boot are quite rampant these days. I'd love to know if a hidden partition has been installed on my hard drive and that the system is booting from it. I really don't want to be bothered with a warning when a new video card driver has been installed and I certainly don't want to have to remember to prepare my computer for such a minor task. It is a shame they didn't do a better job, because it is a decent idea.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
I'm not sure why they have all those occurrences, those sound like more of side effects from hibernate aka fast startup where the system isn't tolerant to hardware changes unless it was properly shutdown first. I haven't had to fix one of these problems personally yet.

The bios should either let it boot, or prevent it from booting, those seem to be the only logical options. I believe the interpretation of secure boot is up to the hardware manufacturer, and to have problems like those means the uefi allowed it to boot.

I can see things like this needed for security, but their implementation doesn't seem quite well thought out.

It's just easier to leave it disabled, and you merely just have to kinds of booting options in the bios uefi and legacy now.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
said by BlitzenZeus:

The bios should either let it boot, or prevent it from booting, those seem to be the only logical options. I believe the interpretation of secure boot is up to the hardware manufacturer, and to have problems like those means the uefi allowed it to boot.

I can see things like this needed for security, but their implementation doesn't seem quite well thought out.

It's just easier to leave it disabled, and you merely just have to kinds of booting options in the bios uefi and legacy now.

Why not give the computer user the option to boot normally with a warning? I obviously don't fully understand the technology. Why even involve the BIOS unless you are guarding against changes to it? How often does that happen?

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
said by Kramer:

\Why not give the computer user the option to boot normally with a warning? I obviously don't fully understand the technology. Why even involve the BIOS unless you are guarding against changes to it? How often does that happen?

As I remember the old PC's had this option in BIOS - to warn user if boot sector was somehow modified. That worked well. Not sure why it should be replaced with "Secure boot" now, creating a lot of troubles for users...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to Kramer
Nice, simple explanation (Webopedia)...
quote:
Microsoft Secure Boot is a component of Microsoft's Windows 8 operating system that relies on the UEFI specification’s secure boot functionality to help prevent malicious software applications and "unauthorized" operating systems from loading during the system start-up process.

While there is some concern that Microsoft Secure Boot will make it difficult to install Linux or other operating systems on a Windows 8 computer, the secure boot functionality in Windows 8 is primarily designed to protect users from rootkits and other low-level malware attacks by blocking unauthorized (non-signed) executables and drivers from being loaded during the boot process.

Personal computers bearing the Windows 8-certified logo will be required to ship with Microsoft Secure Boot enabled.