spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

samguan

@rogers.com

Paying $200 a month for Rogers... need a change

it's getting too expensive paying for the Internet + overage + Cable TV with Great Wall Package...

I'm looking to get an unlimited or 300GB cap internet, then I'm going to get a Chinese streaming service instead(Legal stuff but cheap monthly fee since it's streaming). So it could save me $140 a month.

So I found Acanac, TekSavvy, Distributel..all are just reselling Rogers cable, correct me if I'm wrong.

I see Acanac offers $39.99 for unlimited usage...TekSavvy is $61 for unlimited usage...DistributeTel is $49.99 for unlimited usage...

Am I missing something here? So such the price difference? Is it because of initial feels(activation fee,modem) with some being more than others? Any help...btw..I'm near Brimley and Steeles in Markham.

avp77

join:2010-07-10

None of them are "re-selling" Rogers cable. They use the last mile of Rogers infrastructure, but after that they own and run their own systems. It's probably more accurate to refer to them as third party providers.

Each provider has their upsides and downslides. Acanac requires you to pre-pay for a full year (no refunds) to get their lowest price. Distributel requires you to rent or buy the modem from them (no bring-your-own modem). Teksavvy seems to have more of a customer-service emphasis, which I assume is one reason their rates are a little higher. Start doesn't offer unlimited packages.

My advice would be, if you want to save a little money, you can go for a 18Mbps package, rather than the highest 28Mbs. If you're just using streaming for one or two people, you probably won't be able to notice a difference.

rednekcowboy

join:2012-03-21
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to samguan

said by samguan :

it's getting too expensive paying for the Internet + overage + Cable TV with Great Wall Package...

I'm looking to get an unlimited or 300GB cap internet, then I'm going to get a Chinese streaming service instead(Legal stuff but cheap monthly fee since it's streaming). So it could save me $140 a month.

So I found Acanac, TekSavvy, Distributel..all are just reselling Rogers cable, correct me if I'm wrong.

I see Acanac offers $39.99 for unlimited usage...TekSavvy is $61 for unlimited usage...DistributeTel is $49.99 for unlimited usage...

Am I missing something here? So such the price difference? Is it because of initial feels(activation fee,modem) with some being more than others? Any help...btw..I'm near Brimley and Steeles in Markham.

What is this "chinese streaming service" you speak of?

julienvf

join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
kudos:1
reply to samguan

Acanac and Distributel use the same pipe. Better go with Acanac and buy your modem. After a year, it'll pay you to buy it instead of renting it.

Pesterd

@rogers.com
reply to samguan

Start may not offer unlimited cable internet for higher tier packages (only 6mbps is unlimited), but they do offer 300GB and 400GB packages for good price.

avp77

reply to julienvf

said by julienvf:

Acanac and Distributel use the same pipe. Better go with Acanac and buy your modem. After a year, it'll pay you to buy it instead of renting it.

You can buy your modem from Distributel too. Just sayin'.

Cdnmoose

join:2010-08-24
Kingston, ON
Reviews:
·Distributel Cable
reply to samguan

I am interested in the Chinese streaming service in which you speak. I am about to switch from Teksavvy to Distributel, because I want faster speed with unlimited (currently on 6/1 but can not get more then 3/.25, because of the lines). I am also going to get rid of home phone as the finace and I both have cell phones. I will also be getting rid of Cogeco tv. Looking at XBMC and other routes of tv. But I am really interested in the streaming. Please pm me samguan with some info please

Thanks

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON
reply to samguan

Take a look at Start... Excellent customer service!
»www.start.ca/services/highspeed
»Start Communications
You probably qualify for a free transfer in for cable internet ($50 saving).

Acanac cable (via Rogers) is used by a relative of mine; no problems, after initial delays and confusion, due to a long "stop-sell" in London (waiting for capacity upgrades).

That $39.95/month rate for Acanac is if you pay for an entire year up front (12 x $39.95), and that price is only for the first year. Acanac may implement some sort of prime-time 'speed reduction', when necessary. I believe they have a free VOIP promo for new customers too, that matches your initial internet term. I know nothing about their VOIP.

Anyway, read the fine print; check initial costs, monthly costs, and "other fees".

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to avp77

said by avp77:

. They use the last mile of Rogers infrastructure, but after that they own and run their own systems.

Boy, are you misinformed.

von Monster

join:2012-03-22
Reviews:
·Anveo
·Start Communicat..

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by avp77:

. They use the last mile of Rogers infrastructure, but after that they own and run their own systems.

? - Explain if you would how they don't

avp77

reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by avp77:

Yeah, what part of that is inaccurate? 'Last mile' is an expression, not a literal mile. But your connection to these independent ISP's goes through their own servers.

A reseller is something like Redbox, which just re-labels the Teksavvy service, with perhaps a slight difference in the billing