Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
reply to BlitzenZeus

Re: [WIN8] Windows 8 with Secure Boot enabled may no longer boot

said by BlitzenZeus:

The bios should either let it boot, or prevent it from booting, those seem to be the only logical options. I believe the interpretation of secure boot is up to the hardware manufacturer, and to have problems like those means the uefi allowed it to boot.

I can see things like this needed for security, but their implementation doesn't seem quite well thought out.

It's just easier to leave it disabled, and you merely just have to kinds of booting options in the bios uefi and legacy now.

Why not give the computer user the option to boot normally with a warning? I obviously don't fully understand the technology. Why even involve the BIOS unless you are guarding against changes to it? How often does that happen?

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

said by Kramer:

\Why not give the computer user the option to boot normally with a warning? I obviously don't fully understand the technology. Why even involve the BIOS unless you are guarding against changes to it? How often does that happen?

As I remember the old PC's had this option in BIOS - to warn user if boot sector was somehow modified. That worked well. Not sure why it should be replaced with "Secure boot" now, creating a lot of troubles for users...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to Kramer

Nice, simple explanation (Webopedia)...

quote:
Microsoft Secure Boot is a component of Microsoft's Windows 8 operating system that relies on the UEFI specification’s secure boot functionality to help prevent malicious software applications and "unauthorized" operating systems from loading during the system start-up process.

While there is some concern that Microsoft Secure Boot will make it difficult to install Linux or other operating systems on a Windows 8 computer, the secure boot functionality in Windows 8 is primarily designed to protect users from rootkits and other low-level malware attacks by blocking unauthorized (non-signed) executables and drivers from being loaded during the boot process.

Personal computers bearing the Windows 8-certified logo will be required to ship with Microsoft Secure Boot enabled.