spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hydra001

join:2012-12-29

input please

I live in a farm and the main house has a wireless router.

a half a mile from the house we have a barn, is there a gadget that i can use to amplify or to boost the wifi connection so i can get internet connection from the barn to the house or vice versa?

thanks

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1

1 recommendation

If there is a clear line of sight path between the two, you can install two outdoor wireless APs to create a point to point link and then you can install another AP in the barn.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
kudos:4
reply to hydra001

You could either get a MikroTik or Ubiquiti radio with a directional (yagi) antenna, or do like LLigetfa See Profile suggests.

You could get a pair of these: »www.cyberguys.com/product-detail···id=48078 on either end, and a simple Wifi access point / router on the barn end.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

said by Jahntassa:

You could either get (A) a MikroTik or Ubiquiti radio with a directional (yagi) antenna, or (B) do like LLigetfa See Profile suggests...

OK, so I'm confused... Sounds like two options (A or B), so can you elaborate on how option (A) would work?

IMHO there is no way a single high power directional antenna equipped radio would work. The client presumed to be low powered, non-directional, would be very unlikely to return the distance.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms

said by LLigetfa:

said by Jahntassa:

You could either get (A) a MikroTik or Ubiquiti radio with a directional (yagi) antenna, or (B) do like LLigetfa See Profile suggests...

OK, so I'm confused... Sounds like two options (A or B), so can you elaborate on how option (A) would work?

IMHO there is no way a single high power directional antenna equipped radio would work. The client presumed to be low powered, non-directional, would be very unlikely to return the distance.

You need one on each end. You can then either plug directly into the end device with a client or another distribution device like a router or AP.