uniqs
DocLarge
Premium Member
join:2004-09-08

DocLarge to aryoba

Premium Member

to aryoba

Re: Configuring Trunking Between ESXi 5 server and CISCO Switch

@ Hellfire: Guess who that poor schmuck was most of the time until he became management??? (Jay points thumbs at himself) *This Guy!!!* *heh*

Concur, Aryoba... I've talked to my folks about making a "lab test" part of the interview process. I'm finally coming off the bench after having been "side-lined" for the last two years working back office (information assurance). I "know" I'm rusty, because there's only so much you can retain if you're not on IOS for 8hrs a day

Ultimately, a "lab" interview process (virtual or physical) is probably the way to go in the future (in my opinion).

Jay
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba

MVM

said by DocLarge:

Concur, Aryoba... I've talked to my folks about making a "lab test" part of the interview process. I'm finally coming off the bench after having been "side-lined" for the last two years working back office (information assurance). I "know" I'm rusty, because there's only so much you can retain if you're not on IOS for 8hrs a day

Imagine where you are in mixed environment that you may type JUNOS command on IOS prompt

From my experience, an actual mock lab session during interview is not essential since you can always ask specific troubleshooting questions when you need to to find out how well candidates know practical networking stuff. I believe it is essential to know networking protocols such as Ethernet, ARP, OSPF, BGP, and (depending on the places) EIGRP in addition to TCP/IP since protocol knowledge will bring you further especially when you are in mixed environment (Juniper, Cisco, Riverbed, Arista, among other things) compared to simply only know Cisco way.
DocLarge
Premium Member
join:2004-09-08

DocLarge

Premium Member

I believe it is essential to know networking protocols such as Ethernet, ARP, OSPF, BGP, and (depending on the places) EIGRP in addition to TCP/IP since protocol knowledge will bring you further especially when you are in mixed environment (Juniper, Cisco, Riverbed, Arista, among other things) compared to simply only know Cisco way.

Yep, it's about time for me to bring another router IOS into the mix because I've been sipping the CISCO kool-aid since jump
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

Good lord, I don't want to count the number of different vendors around here -- and it's just a 9 employee development shop.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by cramer:

Good lord, I don't want to count the number of different vendors around here -- and it's just a 9 employee development shop.

smaller shops tend to be a lot more critical on cost of infrastructure and kit -- since capex is much tighter than in most larger shops. couple this with standardization and requirements for support teams to grow -- larger enterprises generally stand on one or two vendors that are re-evaluated on a yearly basis.

q.
tubbynet

tubbynet to HELLFIRE

MVM

to HELLFIRE
said by HELLFIRE:

@aryoba
Haven't done IE, and don't know if I want to... I think I know my stuff pretty well, it's just one of those "now your career
is on the line, prove it!" kind of things.

if you're in an admin type role -- you can get away with this until you hit the higher levels of work inside the enterprise-type level -- however -- there are always exceptions. i know that there are several denizens of this forum that i will gladly admit to being much smarter than myself with no ccie.
however -- in the consulting services role that i am in -- the ccie is almost a mandatory requirement to be brought in for architecture on a large enterprise. it also means for a *significant* bump in pay. i say these -- as i am scheduled for the lab on the 27th. i don't *need* the ccie -- but more cash is always a good thing.

q.
tubbynet

tubbynet to DocLarge

MVM

to DocLarge
said by DocLarge:

Ultimately, a "lab" interview process (virtual or physical) is probably the way to go in the future (in my opinion).

i generally agree -- however -- from my experience -- i've been able to gauge a candidate's understanding strictly from a phone interview.
i have been working r/s (mostly cat6k, n7k, asr1k, asr9k) for the better part of 6 years and have done a lot of different "things" with those platforms. when i read a candidate's experience and what they "say they know"(tm) -- i let them confirm. then -- i ask a few easy questions on $topic, then get progressively harder until i get them to sound uneasy on their answers. i look for "simplified" answers -- not a textbook type definition. i get them to admit they don't know something -- then rub salt in their wounds. i then give them a question they should know (another "easy" one). if they can't answer -- i generally shy away -- as they can't recollect themselves enough to answer a gimme.

once they pass that test -- then we bring them in. i have an r/s lab in the first floor of the office. thats when the fun begins.

q.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer to tubbynet

Premium Member

to tubbynet
Sorry... we are a nine man office, but we're part of a multinational corp. It's not entirely a factor of cost, but mostly one of who ordered whatever.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to tubbynet

MVM

to tubbynet
Well, let us know how the IE test goes tubbynet. Best of luck to ya man.

Halfway tempted to submit myself to said interview test, just to see a) how I
am overall, esp. in the interview arena, and b) just for a learning experience.

Regards