spc
uniqs
jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers
join:2008-06-02
Greenwood, MS

jimbopalmer to medbuyer

to medbuyer

Re: would these cat7 Cables be better then the monoprice cat6a?

Whatever modem he has, has a Cat 5e jack on it, whatever consumer router has has, has all Cat 5e jacks. I would be 99.9% sure whatever NIC he has has a Cat 5e jack on it. He will not be testing a Cat 7 system until he uses all Cat 7 parts.

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· odwwMAGg

I could be wrong. I have been wrong before. (In 1992 I bet that fiber would replace Cat5)
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

(In 1992 I bet that fiber would replace Cat5)

Give it more time. This has been increasingly true in the carrier / data center space (some 1G, all 10G and beyond.) Fiber will never be popular for desktop computing as it's too complicated and far to easy to break.
jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers
Greenwood, MS

jimbopalmer

said by cramer:

Fiber will never be popular for desktop computing as it's too complicated and far to easy to break.

Yes, FDDI to the desktop never worked out for us.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

1 recommendation

cramer

Premium Member

If we're honest, 10base2 wasn't too rosy either. Crushed cables, nicked shielding, BNC ends pulled off, the occasional "removed terminator" and "replug it" bad connections... (the same problems I still deal with for RF cabling)
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to cramer

Premium Member

to cramer
said by cramer:

Give it more time. This has been increasingly true in the carrier / data center space (some 1G, all 10G and beyond.) Fiber will never be popular for desktop computing as it's too complicated and far to easy to break.

I could see it gaining ground in a few limited spaces. video and graphics editing where huge huge files need to be moved.

But I cannot see the average cube monkey needing more than copper based links. FTTD(fiber to the department) I am sure is getting common though. so if each floor is broken up into sections the network closets have a fiber link but its ethernet to the desktops.
jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers
Greenwood, MS

1 recommendation

jimbopalmer

said by Kearnstd:

I could see it gaining ground in a few limited spaces. video and graphics editing where huge huge files need to be moved.

But I cannot see the average cube monkey needing more than copper based links. FTTD(fiber to the department) I am sure is getting common though. so if each floor is broken up into sections the network closets have a fiber link but its ethernet to the desktops.

In 1992, all copper is 10 meg half duplex, shared. I will have as many as 144 users on one hub. To get as much as 100 meg, (still shared) I need fiber.

10 meg switching is $10,500 in 1994 for 8 ports
»www.networkcomputing.com ··· s_5.html

It will be 1996, before I can get 100 meg copper, I start getting $9000 16 port switches. (they don't autodetect speed or duplex, and at least one port has to be 10 meg or they won't boot)
»www.channelweb.co.uk/crn ··· cs-28115
(Here is a March 1996 review, it 'only' costs 16,000 pounds)

In 1998, I put my FDDI network down, and use gig ethernet over fiber for my core and 100 meg switched copper to every desktop.